Paris / Hotels in 6th / Choice of 3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me select a hotel for my first trip to Paris between Dec. 27 and Jan. 2. I have received the following rates:

Hotel de Fleurie: 265 euros plus 20 euros for breakfast; double deluxe w / king

Hotel Madison: twin overlooking courtyard; 260 euros. Larger rooms sold out. Includes breakfast.

Hotel Pont Royal: prices range from 245 - 285 breakfast included. One 285E package even incl daily christmas gifts, champagne, room with balcony.

I'm leaning towards Hotel Pont Royal as it seems I get more bang for my buck! Can you help me decide ?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:02 AM

I haven't stayed at the hotels, it depends of course.
If this is a honeymoon or special anniversary I can see going with the champagne and other niceties, though the balcony is likely to be a step-out only, and there may not be much stepping out in December.
Otherwise, unless their little xmas gifts include diamonds, that doesn't impress me so much by itself. The Fleurie with the double deluxe sounds good to me since you can't get one of the larger rooms at the Madison.
But all of this is just mho
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:11 AM

The Madison is very nice and has a great location, but the street side rooms are the best and as you?ve indicated, they're taken. The H. de Fleurie is also very nice and some might think is a bit better then the Madison, but the Pont Royal, located just off Rue de Bac, also is in a great location with easy access to everything and the package they are offering for the balcony room would be hard to beat. All three hotels are within minutes of each other, but I'd go with the Pont Royal, all things considered.

Make sure you drop by "La Dernière Goutte", a great wine store at 6 rue de Bourbon Le Cháteau, just across St. Germin from the H. Madison.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:13 AM

I love the Madison, but I'm going to stop recommending it so we have a chance at getting a room during busy periods! The buffet breakfast is great, as is the location.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Hi, I never stayed at any of the hotels you mention. But if I could afford it I would choose the Pont Royal not only for the location but also for the package you're getting plus its staff is pretty helpful judging from their emails.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM

A gracious thoughtful gesture!

Pont Royal! Joyeux Noel! (Spelled right?)

Bonne Annee!

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I haven't stayed at any of them, either, although certainly think it's a good group and a stay at any would be pleasant.

I also was leaning to the Pont Royal because it does seem like more value for that price. I thought rooms at Madison or the Fleurie could be had considerably cheaper than 260 euro or so and those rates thus look like special rates for that holiday period (which is about the most expensive in Paris for hotels) which are much higher than you could pay at other times. However, the Pont Royal's rate looks about what I think it is normally. IN other words, it seems like you could stay at the other two a lot cheaper at other times, but not at the Pont Royal.

I might be off-base as I haven't researched these considerably but I think that rate for the Madison is too high in comparison to the other hotels (and that's not one of the larger rooms?). The Madison looks like the worst deal of this bunch as this is a regular, courtyard room.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:37 AM

The Pont Royal is a 4-star hotel. It is larger and more luxurious than the Fleurie or the Madison, which are 3-stars. If you've been offered the Pont Royal for the same price or less, I don't get why there's an issue. Is the Fleurie proposing to charge €20 per person for breakfast? That would put the rate over €300, way too much, in my opinion, for that level of hotel.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I've been going to Paris, almost annually, since 1976 and have stayed in many areas, but the 6th is my permanent area. I would definitely go for the Fleurie on the rue Gregoire de Tours. It's situated between two metro lines numbers 1 and 10...It's between metro stations St. Germain and Odeon...line 1 and Mabillon...line 10.Plus rue Gregoire de Tours...when you cross Blvd. St. Germaine...becomes a street of restaurants. There are restaurants on both sides of the street. You will never be more than a 3-minute walk from food.Plus when you walk to the end of rue Gregoire de Tours and turn right...you can walk all the way out rue Buci...which will change names... to St. Andres des Arts...and end up in the 5th where you can go to Notre Dame and things in that area. It's all within walking distance. And one street over from rue Gregoire de Tours is Rue de Seine with a big supermarket and outdoor flower stands and fruit and vegetable stands, bakeries...cafes etc. I know this area like the back of my hand.I've stayed on rue de Seine almost annually since 1981.You don't need to pay 20 euros for breakfast. Just go to the cafe at the corner of rue de Seine and Blvd. St. Germain and eat there.20 euros for breakfast is beyond outrageous! Happy Travels!