Paris Hotel in the 2e?

Search

Paris Hotel in the 2e?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel in the 2e?

Would this be a good area to stay in for first visit to Paris? What hotel would you suggest for this area?
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM

It would be okay, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it for a first=time traveler. There aren't really that many hotels in it where tourists stay as it's more a business area. The bourse (stock exchange) is in that area, for one thing, some antique/auction houses and the garment trade traditionally. There are some areas I like, such as the market street rue Montorgueil, and the are at the bottom has good shopping at place des Victoires. I think the area at the west near the Opera is more upscale.

It really depends on the kind of hotel you want and the budget. For real cheap, I'd suggest Hotel Tiquetonne near rue Montorgueil. That's a one-star that is usually rated highly for that level. I don't know mid-range hotels in that area much. For higher end, probably the Westminster or Edouard VII would be suitable.

If you don't have any particular reason to want to stay in that area, I think you might prefer elsewhere.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi Jan

>If you don't have any particular reason to want to stay in that area, I think you might prefer elsewhere.<

I agree. The 4 - 7th are the most popular tourist areas.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:41 AM

I think the rue Montorgueil areas is a fantastic choice for a 1st visit. The street itself is one of the great pedestrian streets in Paris, you're just a few steps away from the Pompidou Center and the action at Les Halles (and just a few more blocks to Notre-Dame), and you'll generally be rubbing elbows with more Parisians than with tourists.

The Victoires-Opera is a nice (though somewhat overpriced and over-starred at 4*) hotel right on the rue Montorgueil, and there are a few other very decent but more modestly-priced places closer to Les Halles.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM

Another possibility is the Hôtel Mansart, just off the Place Vendôme in the First. It's close to everything: the Louvre, the Palais Royal, shops, restaurants...and for a 3* the hotel is moderately priced.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
CalgirlSusan

I think 2e is a great area. Have fun!

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM

Hi

We stayed at Hotel Tiquetonne last May and loved it - it was VERY basic, but very "french" - when we booked in the elderly lady at reception did not speak English at all. The charm of the area is that it is not overrun with tourists and we really had to use our little french phrasebook, our hands and our facial expressions to communicate.

Rue Montorgueil is great, interesting shops, cafes and restaurants abound, it is close to the Metro and also within a short walking distance to Notre Dame and most of the tourist sites in central Paris.

We stayed in room #9 on the 3rd floor overlooking the street - double room with private bathroom for 46 Euros.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM

It was our first trip to paris and we stayed there for 7 nights.