Reload this Page >

Which district 9th or 13th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:42 AM
je

Which district do you think I would feel more comfortable (safer) with teen?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM
selena

Are you talking about arrondisments in Paris?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Eye Spy

Both are completely safe. For added convenience, opt for the 9th. Where are you staying? I find Paris to be quite safe; there are always policiers in groups of three walking around. Don't stress.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:57 AM
je

Selena - that would be arrondisements.<BR><BR>Eye Spy - Looking at either the De Weha (13th) or Lausanne (9th) or Orchidee (??). Any help?? <BR><BR>Thanks both of you for replying. I am stressing.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Eye Spy

JaeXXX: DEFINITELY the Lausanne. Why? <BR>1) The 13th is OK near Place d'Italie, but I have never really liked this part of town because it's pretty boring. I can explain this in case I get a stream of negative comments from fellow Fodorites;<BR>2) Lausanne is centrally located on the Rive Droite (right bank) close to rue Montmartre. A few blocks away -- around avenue Lafayette, a lot of offices close at night so the area is dead, except for traffic. But not on your street. Yours is pretty residential.<BR>3) At the Lausanne, you are more central. You can take a walk to the Opera from whence there are tons of buses going to Saint-Germain-des-Pres, crossing by the Louvre (you could walk too). You could visit the famous auction houses at Drouot (no charge to buy! You can just look).<BR>4) visit rue Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, up to Place Saint-Georges and towards rue des Martyrs. Very typical Parisian neighborhood with interesting restaurants, boulangeries, boucheries, etc.<BR>5) you can walk to Les Halles / Place Etienne Marcel (very nice) / Palais Royal and the Jardins du Palais Royal (wonderful!).<BR><BR>There is a lot of continuous traffic along Boulevard Poisonniere (going one way) and towards Strasbourg-Saint Denis (not the best place but don't worry), but you are in a much better spot overall. I strongly believe you will like the 9th better. You will not like Place d'Italie as much.<BR><BR>What do you think? Any more information I could offer? Tips?<BR><BR>Also, close to your hotel, around rue de l'Echiquier and rue d'Hauteville, these are all pretty residential areas with businesses/deliveries going on during the day, but after 6pm, it's great for intermingling with Parisians on their way home, doing their errands and shopping, etc.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:18 AM
European

Actually, it's 'arrondissements'....

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM
idiots

ey m soo hapy the spilling polezzee ar wurkink 2day./..This board is for travel advice. Since you had none beenthere why even comment ???

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Selena

Thank God I am a better traveler than I am a speller.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:10 PM
je

Selena - ignore the nitwit about the spelling. Now you see why I used district. <BR><BR>Eye Spy - I was swaying toward De Weha in the 13th but have decided on De Lausanne in the 9th. Thanks for your advice.