Paris Opera (9e) District - Need Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I normally stay in a ***star hotel in St. Germain. However, this trip our son and his new wife will be with us on their honeymoon-first time out of U.S., don't speak the language.

Before consulting with us, he rented an appartment for the last week of January "somewhere between metro stops Cadet and Anvers and a few blocks to the west of Nouvelles Athenes". Not the area we would have chosen. They are on a tight budget and want to prepare some meals (or picnic) themselves.

Our intention was to spend the first 2 days nearby to show them how to get around and have them be our guests for some nicer meals before we head out of Paris to visit friends. Not knowing this area at all, I found what I believe to be reasonably priced lodgings south of the Cadet metro stop: 3person room (so hopefully larger than the average Paris hotel room) at ***Pavillon Opera Bourse for $99/nite. After booking I have come to learn this is caddy-corner to the Folies-Bergeres and the street (Goeffrey-Marie) has about 6 other hotels on it, so I am assuming it is relatively safe at night though possibly not the quietest???

Any suggestions you can make for cheap grocery/picinic shops in this area to stock appartment with or really inexpensive places for a meal out would be helpful to the newlyweds.

Also, a couple of nicer, traditionally French, romantic restaurants (around $50-65/person for either lunch or dinner) that you have used in the last year. They're from New York, so get exposed to plenty of other ethnic foods. Doesn't need to be in the area, just easy to get to... I was thinking of La Fermette Marboeuf or a restaurant on the place des Vosges, but what's romantic in the summer may not be in the winter there.

Thanks for your recommendations, and please tell me I've booked in a relatively safe area!!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:22 PM

According to www.pagesjaunes.fr, there is a Franprix grocer on 5 rue Geoffrey Marie just off rue du Faubourg Montmartre.
There is another Franprix south of the Anvers metro area, at 43 rue Condorcet (near rue Rodier crossing).
There is a supermarche called Euro Supermarche at 73 rue Faubourg Poissonniere, south of rue Lafayette. Don't know how that store is but it sounds good.
If you have a Paris map and have located the apartment on it, then you can compare the location of these stores in relation to it...
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:38 PM

I stay a few blocks away from the hotel, and can tell you this is a safe area.

Some restaurants within easy walking distance are:

La Grange Bateliere [not tried, was closed when I was there in August];

South on Rue Vivienne--Le Vaudeville [our favorite--across the street fom the Bourse--be sure to try it], Le Grand Colbert, Armand au Palais Royale;

West on Blvd des Italiens, Capucines-- Le Grande Cafe.

Suggest you check the route of the 85 bus.

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ron and Travelnut for the help.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:03 PM

I think your hotel choice is fine and looks like a nice place. The area right around the Folies Bergere is a bit drab, but I think perfectly safe. I don't think that hotel is exactly right across-corner from it but over a bit.

Do you know exactly where this apartment is? That's kind of a large area to describe, but I know the bottom of the 9th and west area better than than NE corner. Unfortunately, I think it is rather inconvenient shopping-wise and not exactly jumping, sort of grey and dull. There isn't any big market in the 9th (open air or roving) and I don't think there are any supermarkets up there. The ones Travelnut mentions may be a bit far away but might be the closest actual supermarkets. There are certainly other places to shop down in the bottom-- passage Jouffroy has a good bakery in it, for one thing, and I think it has some other kind of takeout stuff. They might find it fun to walk into Cite Bergere near there. This is a pedestrian-only street with several hotels, some shops, and a French live music/varity club (Au Limonaire). There are also cafes along the big E-W boulevards down there.

St. Georges place has shops, cafes and is a pleasant "place", but that is still a bit to the west. The Square de Montolon should be near their apt. and they might enjoy that as a closest park experience. The best shopping street for food, etc., is probably rue des Martyrs for them. They should find what they want on that, there are small specialty food shops and places to eat. Near your hotel, rue Cadet is also a market street, as well as the rue du fbg Montmartre.

Some restaurants around there you or they might enjoy are:

Wally le Saharien, 36 rue Rodier -- upscale Moroccan

La Table d'Anvers at place d'Anvers--this is not super-cheap, about 33 euro prix fixe, haute cuisine, resto of the week in local guide Zurban
http://www.zurban.com/jetspeed/portal/th/261/ar/169584

Le Petrelle, 34 rue Petrelle
typical traditional French bistro