Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best for a teenager: Rue Monge or the O'deon area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 14 year old daughter to Paris for her first trip abroad and I want it to be perfect!
I studied abroad in France in the mid 1980's but haven't been back since--I'm so incredibly exicted about visiting Paris again that I'm obsessing over the trip, particularly the hotel choice (my life is on hold until I make this decision--no work is getting done!).
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend to me the best area between the Rue Monge/Arenes de Lutece/Rue Mouffetard area and the Place de L'Odeon area?

I have a choice between two bookings: a twin room at Hotel Delavigne and a twin room w/balcony at Hotel Monge. I've read the postings on this list, and all the tripadvisor comments of course, but just can't decide which would be better for restaurants and interesting city life, as well as not being too long a walk to the classic sights. I also want the hotel to seem as pretty and clean and roomy as possible for my picky teenager. Can anyone help me?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

I'm not familiar with these specific hotels so I can't comment on them, but I know both areas. I think the area around Odéon is more animated and fun than the rue Monge. Both are in the Latin Quarter, though.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM

I'm partial to the Odeon area, which is where I have stayed on both of my trips to Paris. When I was there last September, I found the area to be very lively and full of students. I find the Rue Monge and Mouffetard areas, while fun, to be kind of touristy. In my opinion, the Odeon area is less so and several Parisian friends have said much the same thing to me. Plus, the area is convenient to the rest of the city too either by Metro or on foot. I can't, however, comment regarding either of your hotel choices.

No matter where you stay, I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful time. I wish my mom had taken me to Paris at that age. I had to wait until I was 34!

Kate
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have read good things about each of these hotels. I prefer personally the Odeon area as it's pretty much bordering St. Germain and the Latin Quarter. Hotel Monge is in the Latin Qtr. itself and is good for seeing the rue Monge and rue Mouffetard street markets and Jardin des Plantes among various sights.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM

I would agree with the opinion that the Odeon area would probably be preferable for your goals, although either would work. Rue Monge itself isn't very exciting, although there are more lively places to hang out not too far, but I'd still go with Odeon as the sure thing.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:12 AM

Last summer I stayed at Hotel Monge with my 14yo daughter (and 12yo twin sons too!). Hotel is fine, location is great. Don't know about Odeon area though.

My trip report, some of which may be of possible interest to you

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34651483
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
ira

Hi G,

>I am taking my 14 year old daughter to Paris for her first trip abroad and I want it to be perfect! <

Of course - we all do.

It won't be, so settle for what's possible.

>...can't decide which would be better for restaurants ....<

No real difference. Good retaurants are all over Paris.

>...and interesting city life, as well as not being too long a walk to the classic sights.<

Almost all of Paris is interesting. You can't walk to all of the sites from one place.

Enter the addresses of your hotels at www.mappy.com and see how close they are to metro stops.

Choose the hotel with (1) the best amenities and (2) nearness to metro.

Have a great time.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM

One thing you may want to consider if you're going to be there during the warmer months (June - September): the Hotel Monge has AC, the Delavigne does not. Could make a big difference in your comfort.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM

very good point, Betty -- if this is in summer, you had best pick the one with AC if your daughter is so picky and whiney. I think you should get some perspective that this child does not need to be so demanding and spoiled, I never in my life had my parents give me a trip to Europe. She should be grateful for any trip, let alone expecting perfection! You shouldn't let her bully you so much.

You must understand that you can't walk to all the sites from either one of those hotels, but especially not from the Monge. The one near the Odeon is closer to more things, but even there, I'll bet you won't want to walk two miles to the Eiffel Tower
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We will be there in early May, so I wasn't so much concerned about the weather. My daughter is not whiny or bullying--she's not even concerned about a hotel, and she is certainly very grateful. I just want to make a good decision for us. Thanks to the posters for their suggestions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM

I'm sure the daughter could tolerate a lack of air conditioning better than the mother - I'm sure that's the case for me! It's also not a matter of kids being spoiled if you want to make a good trip for them, but more that you want to have them be happy rather than silently or valiantly suffering, because you, the parent, didn't plan well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I think both areas are great. I just returned from a week-long stay near the rue Monge with my college student daughter and she loved the area, said it reminded her of Cambridge, Massachusetts, full of students and inexpensive shops and restaurants. You can read my trip report if you are interested:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34762455

I have also stayed at a hotel on the same street as the Hotel Delavigne and liked the area very much.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:00 AM

hello !
I live in Paris and both areas are good bu t around Odeon it is more central (for metro connections) and more animated.
Enjoy your stay, Paris is beautiful !!