Paris Hotel for Thanksgiving - Help!

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel for Thanksgiving - Help!

Hello, I'm actually posting under my husband's "screen name". But anyway, my dilemma is this, I'm trying to plan a last minute Thanksgiving getaway for the two of us and am looking for a charming hotel that is in a nice location and is around $150/night or less.

I've checked out many hotels suggested and some are booked (like the Clement,http://www.hotel-clement.fr/Clement/index.html unfortunately) or a touch too expensive (like the St. Paul http://www.h-saintpaul.com/index.html)

Because I'm an idiot, I missed out on an amazing deal at the Hotel de L'Academie http://www.parisby.com/academie/ and now I'm scrambling.

To make a long (sad) story short, this is an anniversary/ birthday trip so I'd like to make it as romantic as possible. And while the hotel room isn't the point, for me it adds a good deal to the general feel of the trip so I'd like it to be somewhat nice.

I like the St. Germain area and since we've already done all the touristy stuff this trip is just about enjoying the city and eachother. So far I'm wrestling with the Muget http://www.parishotels.com/HotelMugu...alides_en.html and the Best Western Aramis - which I'm primarily considering because of it's location. Although, I'd hate to think that I've crossed the Atlantic to stay at a Best Western! The other hotel that I've come across seems nice but is on the right bank - Hotel Therese. www.hoteltherese.com.

I'm still open to suggestions if there are any, or strong recommendations about the hotels above. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Judith
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM
jay

try www.excelsiorlatin.com we have stayed there. plain, in a great location and the prices are not bad.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:57 AM

The first thing I'd say is don't worry about the "Best Western" name. Although I don't know the hotel, in Europe many hotels are part of the Best Western chain for marketing purposes but are not anything like a Best Western here. I actually took note of the BW Aramis on Rue de Rennes from another Fodorite post because it sounded so nice.

I can't give recommendations on personal experience (because I've either stayed at very expensive places or the other extreme) but can tell you about places I've noted from posts here

Caron de Beaumarchais (very elegant but small rooms)
Hotel Lutece, Hotel des deux Iles, Hotel St. Louis - all on the Ile St Louis
Hotel D'Aubusson 6th
Hotel Britanique great location
Hotel Henri IV new (10/03) on Rue St Jacques 1 block from Notre Dame & near RER from airport 140 euros/nite

Also you might try the sites lastminute.com and laterooms.com for discounts for next week.

Good luck!

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Here are some random ideas, I haven't checked current prices, but all are usually much praised

Degres de Notre Dame
Jardins du Luxembourg
Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc
Latour-Maubourg
Bonaparte
Les Rives de Notre Dame
Madison
Saint-Jacques
Langlois (formerly des Croises)

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:14 PM
ira

Hi Judith,

Have you done a text search "Paris Hotels"?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:19 PM

A lot of people don't understand what Best Western is, it's just a hotel marketing consortium, that's all. It's even that in the US where they are independently owned, although in the US, they tend to be a lot crummier and more motel-like in Europe, but they aren't identical here, either.

However, I don't think the BW Aramis is that great from reputation, although there are a few other BWs that are nicer (but more expensive), like the Rive Gauche or Left Bnak or something.

You have a dilemma for budget for something in that area cheap. I think your budget is less than $150 in St-Germain, not easy. I'd stay at a lot of places before the Aramis, frankly. that location is not that great IMO, it isn't really similar to the locations of what you are thinking of as St-Germain.

These are just a few ideas I've thought of in your area. First, try looking at www.pariserve.tm.fr, as they list seasonal discounts and have some hotels in that area with discounts in Nov/early Dec. hotels on their site, which you might check, are:

Hotel Dauphine St-Germain (reg 170 euro but 15 pct discount on there, or third night free)
Hotel Left Bank St-Germain, 140 euro
Hotel de l'Odeon, 160 euro reg. but 15 pct off
Hotel Relais Saint Sulpice 160 euro (don't see any discount on that)

There are some other discounts in the 7th, such as for Hotel Saint-Dominique, but I think the above are your best bets in St-Germain. the Hotel de la Tour Notre Dame on there is also supposed to be nice.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Try the du Danube on Rue Jacob..superior rooms are quite large and location is excellent!
www.hoteldanube.fr

or the Verneuil..smaller rooms but still excellent position, between Rue Jacob and 1 block from the Seine in the 6th

http://www.hotelverneuil.com
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your recommendations so far everyone. Ira, yes, I did do a text search which is how I learned of the Clement and St Paul, the Muget and your love for the Bonaparte.

I'm a travel planner and have read myself silly on this site. My husband is a frequent contributor so I know this site to be a great resource.

Unfortunately, many hotels are coming up booked. This is my own fault of course, but my hope was that in posting, I might come to come across hotels that aren't as easily found and so far this has proven to be true.

Again, all recommendations are welcome.

Judith

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:44 PM

you might try "laterooms.com" for France, then click on Paris...they break it down to number of stars and the arrondisement

The Relais Hotel du Louvre looks nice and they are discounted for the "low season" I'll be there the Friday 11/28...
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:47 PM

BTW, there is a booking site a lot of other people like and use www.venere.com which has hotels for Paris. I think you are booking directly with the hotel, but they are the middleman.

I just checked, and they seem to have some in your price range around Thanksgiving free, although I know availability needs checking. In particular, I saw they had the Aviatic for only 105 euro per night, a 3* fairly near the Aramis (only I think it may be a better hotel and location), and the Hotel Danemark is only about 120 euro per night and is a nice boutique hotel in MOntparnasse, but at the bottom of Luxembourg Gardens, really, and could be suitable. they do list the 2* Hotel de Saint Germain for only 120 euro per night, also, although I don't know much about that hotel -- it's right on rue du Four and very central (too central for my taste, but you never know).
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:13 PM

My family, friends, and I all like the Hotel du Lys, which is a 2 star (probably b/c of no elevator). It's recently been renovated and is often mentioned in articles talking about great little budget hotels. I say it's high on "charme", low on "luxe"! In St. Germain, it's a great location, about 2 min. walk from St. Michel metro, also close to Odeon. Check it out at www.hoteldulys.com

I think it's 110 euro, inc. breakfast, which includes croissants that are as good as any I've tasted in France.

I try not to talk about it too much on here b/c I don't want it to get too well known, but I just had to chime in when I read your post!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Hotel du Danube -- doubles start at 115 euro. I saw both a 115 euro one and a 140 euro one. The latter was much bigger. Great locztion between St. Germain and the river. 58 rue Jacob I think.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Judith - just a couple days ago I finished trawling for a Paris room over Thanksgiving. I must have checked dozens of sites, finally found something suitable on hotels.com (see my other post on this forum about them honoring their price guarantee.) Another megasite that may be helpful is http://paris-hotels-shop.com
I looked at venere.com but found their prices higher than the others.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Christina mentioned the Aviatic for $105. I have stayed there several times, and I love that hotel. I stayed in a superior room once, which was 150 euros, and last time a standard double, at 130 euros. It is in St. Germain, but close to Montparnasse. Great transportation options, and restaurant options, and not in a touristy area. Some people prefer to be nearer the Seine, but I really like the area of the Aviatic.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:15 AM

Hello,
sure it's quite late to book a room for Thanksgiving but I can advise some hotels not too expensive and well located ( and less than 150 euros for one night and 2 people): Hotel Cardinal Rive Gauche (***): http://www.hotelcardinal.com/index.html ,Hotel Saint Dominique (**):http://www.saintdominique.com/index.html , and hotel Etoile Saint Honoré (****): http://www.etoile-saint-honore.com/index.html
I hope I've helped you!
Have a good trip in Paris!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:51 AM

I did see the Aviatic at that special rate on whatever I was looking at (venere.com), but that is their standard Nov 9th-Dec. 3rd seasonal rate. That is the price for the regular 130 euro room, and the superior room is only 125 euro during this period (usually 155 euro at least).

You can also get those rates on www.france-hotel-guide.com (which I like better than venere.com), and I imagine direct from the hotel itself as they are not special deals with certain web sites, but regular hotel seasonal lower rates.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help everyone. I have compiled quite a list of hotels on my little excel spreadsheet. I'll be sure to pass it along when I'm done!

Judith