Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel: Caron de Beaumarchais or Place des Vosges?

Oct 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Vivi

Hello,

Can anyone help us decide between the Hotel de la Place des Vosges & the Caron de Beaumarchais in Paris (at end of October)? We'll be staying there our last night in France and are looking for a good location (i.e., walkable to good eats, sites, near Metro?) & comfortable accommodations (clean, charming).

We're staying at the Hotel Therese in Paris at the beginning of our trip. Any comments on this hotel would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,
Vivi

Oct 7th, 2002, 11:14 PM
alex

Vivi:
The Caron de Beaumarchais may be more "centrally" located than Vosges. The latter is further east (almost directly ), by a half mile or so, towards Bastille. The Caron is closer to Louvre, d'Orsay, Notre Dame, L'Ile Saint-Louis, Latin Quarter, Saint-Germain-Des-Pres, and, by definition, anything west. We stayed at the Caron in May 1999, and strolled past it last year. It is charming, well decorated and maintained. Our only complaint was the size of the inner "courtyard" facing room. It was (way) not too big. Know nothing about Hotel @ Vosges, but, the Place is wonderful, holding up well after 400 years. Lots of museums near both. Caron may be nearer better galleries, shops, boutiques. Both are great walking areas. The metro is near both: Hotel de Ville and Saint-Paul for Caron; Saint-Paul and Sully-Morland/Bastille for Vosges.

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Regine

I can't comment on the two hotels but can recommend the neighborhood around the Place des Vosges...it's my favorite place to stay. Since the Hotel Therese is near Palais Royal, a location near Bastille will keep you close to everything & access to some new things, like Pere Lachaise, the Canal st. Martin, Hotel Carnavalet, the Picasso Museum, etc. I love the Promenade des Plantes, behind the Bastille Opera House...and plan to explore the Bois de Vincennes this trip. I have a different Hotel there I like, but the Hotel de la Place des Vosges gets good reviews.

Oct 9th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Vivi

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback on the hotels/locations. I think we'll give the Caron de Beaumarchais a try since it sounds great, and they were able to confirm our reservation. Thanks again!

Oct 11th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Anthony

Vivi,

You cant go wrong with Caron. The owners, pere et fils, Etienne and Alain Bigeard, are superb gentlemen. Rooms are on the small size but are well-appointed. It is a convenient location. We were there for one night on September 19 and on two earlier, longer stays.

Try either "L'Orangerie" restaurant on the Ile St. Louis nearby, or "L'Excuse" restaurant that Alain referred us to on the 19th. It is near St. Paul's Church, about ten blocks from the hotel.

Give him our best.

Anthony