How Long to Stay in Brussels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 3 is planning to go to Belgium in late March. We are planning to stay 2 nights in a B&B in Bruge. Do you suggest 3 or 4 nights in Brussels?

We will be going to Venice after Brussels. We have been to Venice before and loved it!
We plan to be in Venice for 4 nights, but if 3 days is enough to see Brussels, then we could add a day to Venice.

Please help! Thanks! Laurie
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Three days would be plenty, in my view.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:33 PM

2 full days in Brussels would be plenty IMO.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:59 PM

Went to Brussels earlier this year, and IMO 2 nights is sufficient. After the Grand Place, then what? Save the extra day for magical Venice!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:33 AM

Laurie,
2 nights in Brugge means one full day and a bit from the previous (the day of arrival in Belgium) and the following day (preparing to go to Brussels), am I right?
That will give you a very general idea of Brugge.

2 nights in Brussels, means the same as above; 1 full day, and a bit from the previous (coming from Brugge) and probably nothing of the following day(preparing to go to Venice), am I still right?
If the Grand'Place is all what Marina found in Brussels, then she has waisted her money during her stay.
Brussels is a capital and has therefore an important number of national museums (art, colonial history,...) well worth visiting if it interests you.
So, 2 nights in Brussels will also give you a very general idea of Brussels. So I second Tulips, 2 full days (3 nights) is OK.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:31 AM

From my (very personal) perspective I would give any extra nights to Brugge/ Bruges over Brussels.

But it all depends on your interests. If you enjoy museums, Brussels has some very highly rated ones with which to occupy your time.

If you're not hugely into museums, like me, you may find 2 nights in Brussels sufficient.

I found Brugge to be much more conducive to a meandering, pottering around kind of visit, which is the way I like to travel. I felt there were more places of interest (to me) and I found it more pleasant to walk around. I also really enjoyed browsing in the shops and stopping in many of the tea houses. And the canal trip was more enjoyable than I expected.

Both cities have much to offer travellers - which one merits more days nights depends very much on your personal preferences.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:31 AM

I agree with Baldrick. Marina, you didn't try very hard to see anything if the only site of interest you found was the Grand'Place. Brussels often gets a bum rap--while it doesn't have the slap in your face glamour of some other European capitals--Paris, Vienna, Rome, etc.--suggesting that it only has one sight worth seeing is ludicrous.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Although Brussels certainly has more to offer than the Grand Place, 2 days is sufficient.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:32 AM

One day is enough IMO.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:52 AM
ChatNoir

Can anybody who has advocated two or three days in Brussels please identify what they would do during this time?

I've heard people say in general that it has much more than just the Grand Palace, but never seen anything specific listed.

Not trying to pour salt in an open wound, just curious about what the city has going for it.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:59 AM

See www.visitbelgium.com for a list of many things to do throughout Belgium.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Actually in my opinion a few hours will suffice - one of europe's ugliest capitals; architectural hodge-podge of blah modern buildings. After a day spend your time elsewhere, such as day trips to Gent or Antwerp, much more romantic towns!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your opinions! I do appreciate all the input. I think we will stay in Bruge 2 nights, Brussels, 3 nights, with a sidetrip to Ghent or Antwerp and 5 nights in Venice.

I have heard the food is very good in Brussels. Do you have any favorite restaurants to recommend? We prefer restaurants in the inexpensive to moderate category. Thanks again for your help! Laurie
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I agree with ChatNoir and PalQ, spend the extra time in Venice, Antwerp or Brugge!