Bombings in Turkey

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 03:22 AM
ira
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bombings in Turkey

I wish to express my sympathy with, and condolences for, all of those killed and injured in the recent terrorist attacks in Turkey.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Thanks IRA. I share your sentiments.

Looks a high death toll among British Embassy staff

And Turkey was high on my list for my next holiday ...

Steve
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:03 AM

This is so awful, what did those people do to deserve this?!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Istanbul update:

I've just returned from Istanbul this morning, having just missed the second round of bombings, after being within six blocks of the first. The senselessness of these events is compounded by the fact that, beyond the tragedy of those killed, those who are in for the long-term hurt are the Turks. Tourism is the life blood of Turkey. One merchant I spoke with estimated that 10% of the workforce is directly involoved with tourism, and even prior to the bombing, the industry was in trouble. One driver told me that I was the first American in his cab in the last two months. After the first Gulf War american tourism was greatly reduced, and now, it seems to have simply stopped.
The Turks are the friendliest, most hospitable people I've known - this was my second visit, and there will certainly be a third.

But it might be a while.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:33 AM

I am unable to understand the mindless cruelty of attacking and killing innocent people, which seems to be terrorists main objective. Rather than furthering their cause, it seems to me these horrendous acts have the opposite effect.

I too send my sympathies to the Turkish and British people.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM

I feel desperately sorry for the Turkish people. I think the terrorists regard them as too liberal/western for a Muslim nation and are teaching them a lesson. So sad that they're caught up in the middle of this senselessness.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I just got back from Istanbul at the end of October - trying to get in touch with an acquaintence I made while there - in fact I spoke to him just yesterday to make sure he was okay after the first bombings. This will definitely affect their tourism. I'm still planning to go to Antalya this summer.

My sympathies and condolences to all those affected by this act of violence.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM

I am supposed to go to Istanbul next Monday. The first bonbings did not scare me, but now I feel very uneasy. I tried to cancel it, but since I have already payed everything, I would lose it 100%. I don't really know what to do.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:34 AM

Elina,

If you go, stay clear of Taxim, as this area has several consulates and is considered more "European". If you must stay in Istanbul, keep to the major tourist areas around mosques (Blue mosque, Hagia Sophia, Suliman, New mosque, Istanbul University, ect). The alternative is to take day trips out of the city. I would suggest Bursa, Isnik, or Princess Island - all very nice. You could also take a day long ferry up the Bosphorus.
If you want out of the west altogether, I suggest Cappadocia.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I also send out heart felt sympathy for all families of those effected.. and you are correct about the people who this hurts the most. We have a house guest from Canada staying with us, who works every year in Bali.. he says the impact of those bombs is devestating to the Balinese people.. lost work, no food,thousand of dollars in income lost.. when will these terrorists learn.. the ones who ultimately pay the price are those who can least afford it, and who have the most to loose, poor workers and families dependent upon tourist dollars.. world leaders, though they notice.. don't go without food for their children..
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Timing was perhaps chosen to coincide with Bush's visit to the UK. A way to slap three countries they view as enemies.

Those people did NOTHING to deserve it except seem to agree with the US. I join in expressing condolences.

And any of us can be targets at any time.

I refuse to change the way I travel or live my life in general over it. If I do, they win.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I was planning to travel to Turkey next april. Should I change my travel plans and go somewhere else or just don't stay clear of Istambul?
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:05 AM

My most deepfelt sympathies also to the people of Turkey and of Great Britain.

koshka: WTG! My philosophy also - if I give in, the terrorists have won!

I would also guess that the next target is going to be another country that has not been hit by a terrorist act yet.

easytraveler
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:06 AM

I was booked to go to Istanbul next 5th December but as soon as I heard about the saturday bomb attacks I canceled my trip. I had already paid half the trip for us 3 . The travel agency told me today I would receive all the money back because they had canceled the trip for security reasons.
I too feel very sorry for the Turkish people, they don't deserve this. And I look forward to visit Turkey in a more stable ocasion.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM

easytraveler, with my luck, it will be Italy! But life is a dice roll.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:13 AM

ncanavan, thanks for the suggestions. That is exactly what I plan to do. I have a hotel almost next to the Blue mosque, so I think that will be left alone. Bosphorus is also in my program. But my uneasiness comes from the thought that the first two where religious ones, the second ones targeted were western economy (bank) and diplomats (consulate). What if the next one will be against tourism? Airport comes first to mind.

My son is furious, he yelled to me in the phonequot;While you are at it, why don't you just go all the way to Baghdad. Less people have died there during the last week."
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Tourists-Travellers, please put risks into perspectives. Check with the USA State Department and heed their warnings. TV bits are showing the spectacular not the mundane. You may be safer in Turkey than in the USA!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Suggestion:
Go to: <http://travel.state.gov/turkey.html>.
Latest date November 20.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Another suggestion updated Nov. 20:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel/countryadvice.asp

With my deepest sympathy for all those innocent victims.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:17 PM

You know regarding changing travel plans.. everyone has their own comfort zone.. If you will be so fearful it will impact your trip then cancel, however, your odds of dying a violent death are much better where I live in Los Angeles, where gun killings are at an all time high this year.. Don't forget most untimely deaths for American's occur in the car within blocks of their front door.. Just use common sense and take precautions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information