Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brugges and/or Brussels; How many nights in each?

Jul 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Unn

Hello,
The cruise we are taking will end up in Antwerp at the end of August. We then have 8 more nights before we head home from Paris. We're thinking about 2 nights in Brugges and 2 in Brussels, and then the remaining 4 in Paris. We loved Paris the only time we were there, but have never been to Belgium. Is Brussels worth 2 nights? I've seen many raves on this board about Brugges but not too much about Brussels. My husband wants to see Brussels, what do you all think?

Thank you so much!

Jul 13th, 2004, 07:21 PM

I state my bias up front. I love Belgium and I love Brussels, and I think a two and two is a good way to go. You may also consider two days and one night in Bruges, spending three nights in Brussels. Or, since you are arriving in Antwerp, I would advise a full day there as well as one night. There are many posts on this board about activities in Brussels that could easily cover two to three days there. I do agree that the collective preference of Fodorites favors Bruges, perhaps because it's uniquely asthetic and appreciable even on first blush. You have to dig deeper to see the gold in Brussels, but the gold is definitely there.
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:48 AM

So ... you will be in Antwerp and are not even considering to spend a day and a night there ... #39;(
The cruise terminal is right in the city centre and the first sight you will see when entering Antwerp is the spire of Our Lady's Cathedral, which is less than 5 min. walk. Go and explore the city a little further. I'm sure you will want to stay at least for one day! There's something for everyone: museums, churches, history, architecture, shops, cafés, restaurants, beautiful squares, ...
Come and enjoy!
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM

antwerp has some excellent art galleries; zeno X, de zwarte panter, ... and very good antiques dealers !
I would go for a day antwerp at least !
I am sure you'll enjoy it.
brussels is nice as well, but people often miss a great deal of the city because nice parks, or the art nouveau houses are not in the touristic center of town... it all depends how you want to spend your time : running or at ease ! brussels offers much more than the market place and manneken pis.
anyway, i'm sure you'll enjoy.
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:56 AM
ira

Hi Unn,

Antwerp, Brugges and even Brussells are worth at least one night. OTOH, they ain't Paris.

Since Hubby wants to see Brussels, I suggest you spend a while in Antwerp and then take the train to Brussells (about 1 hr), overnight in Brussels and go to Bruges (about 1 hr) for a night and a day (or 2 nights and a day) and then go on to Paris (2 1/2 hr).

Alternatively, you could base in Antwerp, do day trips to Brussells and Bruges and then go on to Paris.

You can take the THALYS direct from Antwerp-Berchem.