A week in Brussels

Search

A week in Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Brussels

What are the must-see things in Brussels and any Day trip suggestions? We are planning on a day in Paris and we are spending the next week in the Netherlands.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM

Are you spending a week in Brussels or the Netherlands? More than a day or two in Brussels is too long. The Musical Instrument Museum is great. Then go to the roof to their café for a view of the city and great sorbet.

A couple of days in Bruges would be great. It's only an hour from Brussels.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:40 PM

Bruges is one of our favorite places in Europe. Although somewhat touristy it still has lots of old world charm. We felt very safe wandering late at night there and it is a peaceful lovely town. As previous answer stated it's a short train ride from Brussels. We found Brussels a big disappointment.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:30 PM

You don't quite say what you are interested in...
Brussels:
- market square and surroundings, half a day
- St-Gudule cathedral and some other things, half a day
- African museum in Tervuren, a must!
Brussels is the capital and has all the "National museums of... whatever is to be collected for the pride of the nation".
I would spent 2 days in Brugge, 1 day in Gent and one in Antwerp, one day walking alongside the sea (Knokke) and 2 days in Brussels.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:48 PM

First, when are you going to be here? Are you here for business (which means you have to stay in town) or is this a vacation?
Brussels actually has a lot more going for it than casual visitors realize. There is plenty to see besides the Grand'Place. But if your travel plans allow, fit an overnight trip to Brugge into your schedule and try to avoid visiting Brugge on a week-end. It's much less crowded during the week.
Also, will you have a car or will you be dependent on mass transit? What are your interests?
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM

Are you back in Brussels, BTilke? Would you care to meet up sometime?
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:53 PM

Yes, we're back! We'll be here for a while before moving to the UK (probably the Canterbury area; we need to be reasonably close to the Ashford Eurostar station)--would love to meet up with you sometime. I'll send you a private email.
Getting hot in the UK yet? It's supposed to be at least 35 degrees today in Brussels (guess that's mid to high 90s F). I've used more sunscreen this summer than in our previous 3 summers combined!
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:08 AM

I don't think I'm scheduled for a trip till September and I think that may be an in and out in one day- which is difficult; normally I'm getting there 9ish in the evening and leaving after meetings the following day, but sometimes that's a two day trip instead of a one day one.

If I was doing a late in, would a late supper work for you?