Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche - anyone?

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering this hotel for 2 nights in early May. It got one good review on Trip Advisor. That review said the rooms and bathrooms were very small, but very clean and super friendly staff.

Has anyone else stayed here? I read somewhere that they have views of the Tower (I will clarify that with the hotel).

They are offering a double room for 89 euros/night.

The one sticking point with me is that they mentioned a "7-day cancellation policy". We have a 2-year-old, and with the amount of illnesses she's had since moving to France in October, this makes me VERY nervous.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:45 PM

I don't know about this one but you might find something equivalent for 2 adults + 1 2-year-old child at the Accor site: http://www.accorhotels.com

These allow cancellation up to 4 PM on the day, usually. There are many good deals on that site.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Funny you should mention that. Our friends stayed at a Mercure at the foot of the Tower a few weeks ago, and recommended their hotel: Mercure Par Eiffel Suffren. They said the rates were usually very high, but because of a tip I got on this board, I checked the accorhotels website lastnight, just to see.

In fact, they ARE offering a promotion there, it's a "last minute internet special", and the rooms are 99 euros a night. Only hitch is that it says "NO CHANGES, NO CANCELLATIONS". We are very tempted to book anyway, b/c we know it's a great hotel with great views, but what if my daughter gets sick the day before?? Hate being locked in like that. I guess it's a gamble.

Thanks for your post.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM

I've seen these types of specials on various booking sites including deluxe hotel sites. They are very tempting as the rates are much lower. However, I can't afford to take advantage of them as they are like you say, no changes, no cancellations, and no refunds for any reason.
Can you imagine booking a special like on the Hyatt site for a 21 day advance purchase at the Vendome location? If you cannot travel for whatever reason your card's still charged for the whole cost which may be in the 1,000's of euros depending on how many nights you reserved.
Of course, I guess this is why you need travel insurance...
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Since we really like this hotel and want to stay there, I called the hotel directly and probed a bit further. They suggested I book the "internet rate" of 140 euros, which can be cancelled up until 6pm on the day of arrival with no charge. Then, if we are sure we are coming, we can cancel it and re-book the 99 euro rate a few days beforehand.

Since we are in a good position (we are living in France, and feasibly can do this "weekend trip" almost anytime in the next few months), we are going to wait and gamble that the 99euro rate is still there a few days prior to May 1.

The hotel clerk said right now there is plenty of availability (they have 400+ rooms), and I checked a variety of dates between now and then, and they all seem to offer the 99 euro special.

So, we will hope for the best and try for the 99 euro rate!

Fingers crossed! : )