Paris Hotels via Orbitz?

Search

Paris Hotels via Orbitz?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotels via Orbitz?

We are hoping to stay at Le Madison next spring '04, but their rate is (naturally?) higher than the one given by Orbitz. I've never booked a hotel via Orbitz or Travelocity, and am concerned about their validity, especially overseas. Also, the nice lady at Le Madison has emailed me her rates, is it rude to now say "no thanks," and then book through Orbitz?

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

more on Orbitz: the price they quote for Le Madison is 179.00 per night which i believe is without tax. The hotel quotes 205.00 with tax. Doesn't it all equal out in the end? Why does going to Paris for the first time make people (me!) so nervous?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:04 AM

What you do is tell the nice lady that Orbitz has offered the rate of ___ and you would prefer to book directly with the hotel, will she please match the rate?

It's worked for me every time so far.
It's not that I don't trust Orbitz, I just prefer to be the hotel's direct customer.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM

I just came from the Madison last week and I really doubt they will low the rate they have of 205 , what I paid for a double. They are always full. I would have no problem booking with Orbitz. Beware of one thing, the room you will get for 205 euros is a little depressing and may be dark, with view to the awful back of the building. Mine was at the first floor and it didn't get any sun during the whole day. I regreted not to have paid 20 euros more per day and have a boulevard view and a more sunny room.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:07 AM

no, hotel room tax is only about one euro a day, assuming they are not referring to VAT, but the hotel occupancy tax. If it is VAT, then I wouldn't be dealing with Orbitz as that is really duplicitous because it is always quoted as part of the room rate in Paris.

YOu don't have to book any hotel you inquire about, there's nothing rude about that. I wouldn't book through Orbitz myself, however, as I don't trust those big hotel booking sites very much. I'll admit I haven't used Orbitz for that, however, but I don't like them or their web site for other reasons. I'd also check the fine print as to whether that price is firm or not so far in advance -- I thought those web sites made you prepay, also, which I wouldn't do.