Search

Paris Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotels

I am going to Paris in about 10 days time, staying there for 5-6 nights. Can you please give me recommendations of places you have stayed (or ones to avoid). I am looking at 3-4 star hotels. As I am travelling with a friend I will be able to split the accommodation cost in half. I don't want to pay a fortune but want a reasonably well located hotel that has a decent sized room. I would much rather get a 3 star hotel with a really nice room rather than pay out the extra for a 4 star hotel and find the room is tiny. I don't want to be paying a lot of money for the big foyer, room service, restaurant etc., none of which I will probably use anyway.
Also I am thinking of booking through the wotif site. Have you used this and did the hotel you book live up to what you exepcted.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Shandy, you are really "winging it." You are leaving in 10 days and don't have a hotel room booked yet in Paris? What are you thinking?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:51 AM

I think Budman's comment is in reference to the fact that good Paris hotels are often booked up way ahead of time, there isn't really a surplus of rooms in Paris, in general. However, the time period you want to book is one of the busiest hotel periods in Paris--October in general is peak business/convention season and I think that time period in particular includes annual fashion shows. So good luck.

I had never heard of that booking site before but looked at it and just have a couple comments you should be aware of--it is apparently only for last-minute room availability so the choices are extremely limited. They only have a couple 3* hotels listed in the central areas. So, it doesn't really matter what people recommend on here if you plan to use that. Apparently they have a booking fee which I don't think is disclosed until your try to book, which I didn't.

They do not guarantee availability, so say don't blame them if you get there and the hotel has overbooked even if your booking has been confirmed. They may not happen, but be aware you cannot complain if that happens.

The "full rates" they list appear to be fabrication. They claim these are the rack rates provided by the hotel, and maybe the hotels are lying to them, but given I only checked a couple hotels I know in Montparnasse, I find it curious that both of them show a very inflated "full rate" contradicted by the hotel's own web site. For example, the Villa Luxembourg shows a full rate of 380 euro, their own website gives a double room rate of 160 euro. Ditto for 3* Hotel Renoir in Montparnasse (the full rate of 180 euro shown is much higher than the Renoir's own web site, even considering seasonality).

Villa Luxembourg has a web site that shows immediately availability and does claim to have vacancies during 10/5-10/10 at 160 euro, though.

From what I've seen, I would not use that web site, but I'm not implying you won't get a room through them at the rate they state, you may, just be aware of the terms and booking fees, etc.

Those hotels on that web site are just ones that frequently contract with booking sites, I know. Being on there implies nothing in terms of the hotel's quality, you will have to research one you choose.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Ask for a superior twin room at the d'Aubusson on the left bank, in the 6th. The room will be a good size, charming decor, all modern amenities, great location.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:58 AM

At this late date you might try looking on laterooms.com or lastminute.com, both English websites for last minute bookings. Lastminute displays prices in GB POUNDS. If you book this way (or through any third party site) I'd suggest making sure you have your confirmation with you and confirming reservation directly with the hotel via email or phone.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Shandy,

I've been to Paris twice in the last couple of years and did not book hotels in advance. Never had any trouble walking in and landing a room. How are you arriving? Plane or train?
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Intrepid

I agree there are probably a great many "good" hotels (that most people who post here won't stay in either because they are too expensive, don't meet the "charm" criteria, or are (gasp!) one of many chain properties.
Anyway, I think if you look on the various discount sites or just do a search for the Paris hotel booking services you'll find something that fits your needs.
Just because some people here don't think a hotel is "good" doesn't mean that it isn't, and available..depends on your own tastes and needs.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:33 AM

www.parishotels.com

This site lists many recommended hotels, but most importantly, it allows you to search for availabilty by dates of travel.

You may also narrow your focus by area, number of stars, and other critera. I suggest this as a starting point, so you don't waste time with hotels that are fully booked. Once you've got a few that look good to you, you can text search for feedback here, as well as on tripadvisor.com.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Ditto McLaurie's recommendation of using www.laterooms.com. The site gets good reviews on this board. We used it for London once and were completely satisfied. Print out a copy of your confirmation.