Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Incredibly low rate from hotels.com for hotel in Rome....Should I be suspicous?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In researching hotels for an October trip to Rome, I got an incredibly low rate (and I do mean incredibly low, like 70 euro less than all the other hotel sites are quoting) from hotels.com.
Since this is the first time I've gone through this process in booking hotels overseas, I'm asking any you experienced in this process whether I should be suspicious of this very low rate or should I book immediately??
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM

For which hotel and how much was the actual offer?
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

It was for the Anglo Americano. hotels.com posted a 107.10 euro rate, while two or three other sources were in the 170-180 euro rate for the same accommodations!
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM

I'm not sure exactly why that particular hotel would offer rates that are 70 euro less than others in the same category. However, if the Trip Advisor comments are all genuine, the hotel is not that great and that could be the reason.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Is this a prepaid rate? You will get a discount for that. In the past, I've also seen relatively cheap rates for the Anglo-Americano at hotelclub.com and ratestogo.com (not sure about laterooms.com ).
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:59 AM

If several discounters are offering the same hotel at the same time for rates which are that different it tells you how much profit the discounter is making, that's for certain.

I suspect it is a genuine offer and probably negotiated between the hotel and the particular discounter.

there are times when a hotel will tell you they are full but their discounter still has rooms to rent.

I've never had a problem with hotels.com but I routinely verify the reservation with the hotel directly if it is for an "overseas" property.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:31 AM
ira

Hi H,

If you read the comments at www.tripadvisor.com you will see why the rate is so low.

Old May 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Ira, that's just what I did and came to the same conclusion. There were just too many strongly negative comments. Right night, we are leaning towards the San Carlo on via Delle Carrozze, which got most highly favorable comments. Interestingly, the rate is much cheaper from the hotel than from any of the hotel booking companies.
Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Just so the saga is complete, and as I must posted on my other thread about my Rome hotel search, I was most active since my last posting on this thread. We ended up book a hotel at |Piazza Navona--Residenza Canali ai Coronari
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Last year we got a very cheap rate in Berlin through hotels.de and the only condition was that we pay on arrival. The hotel turned out to be excellent, if a bit off the beaten track [though only 10 moniutes walk from the Dom] so don't be too suspicious. Also the Savoy was a bargain at the same time, as was the Hilton in budapest at Christmas. Ira's advice was of course spot on and i'd definitely check up on tripadvisor another time. good luck
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:05 AM

This is the reason I asked about the name of the hotel and the offer although I have found that one has to be careful about reading TripAdvisor reviews since honest perceptions can vary considerably.

Regardless, Howard, I'm glad that things worked out and that you feel better about your hotel choice. IMO there is little that is worse than the nagging feeling the hotel you are going to be staying in isn't "the right one."
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:48 AM

I think the name of the hotel, Anglo Americano, should rule it out.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Actually some years ago the AngloAmericano Hotel was quite nice, but evidently their standards have slipped if the TA reports are accurate. We became acquainted with the hotel as several various friends in Italy (all Italians) always stayed at this hotel when they were in Rome.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly's comment has relevance to my situation. The Anglo American was recommended by my Roman friend, whose taste and judgment I usually trust! However, those very critical reviews on tripadvisor definitely turned me off. Further, the more I thought about it and researched hotels, the more I was convinced that we wanted to stay in the Piazza Navona area instead.
I also agree with Intrepid1's comment about how a hotel can affect your mood during a trip. Even though you don't spend that much awake time in the room, the place where stay definitely affects the mood of the trip.
If anyone wants to check out the hotel we decided on and booked (confirmation arrived today), check out:
www.residenzacanali.com/01english.html
I must give credit to another Fodorite--bardo1--who first told me about the hotel.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Hi Howard, just out of curiosity..did your Roman friend recently suggest that you stay at the Anglo Americano Hotel in Rome? Looking at their website it still looks nice but as we all know hotels, restaurants etc. certainly can change. I have always stayed at hotels that Europeans stay at, but I certainly want clean and comfortable etc. Personally I always like the location. None of my Italian friend have stayed at this hotel for oh perhaps 4 or 5 years as none of them now need to go to Rome on business. Thanks!! And best wishes to you that you have a beautiful time while in Rome.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, yes, my Roman friend did recommend the Anglo Americano, along with the Zara in the same area. It looked good on its website. It was only after I read tripadvisor that I became a little leery. And this bargain price on hotels.com of something like 107 euro (while all the other sources were citing a rate around 175-180) made me more suspicious. And, that's why a started this post.
Anyway, as I said, I totally trust the judgment and taste of my Roman friend. Perhaps, he got input from a person (or people) who stayed or friends who knew someone. He's out of town for a few days, so I won't get his side for at least two days. Since we are good friends and know each other well, I have no fears that he will be upset at my decision to stay elsewhere. (He also knows that I have good "travel research skills"!)
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Thanks for responding Howard! Again I sure wish you a wonderful time in Rome.I haven't been back since I lost my husband..I haven't as I have felt I would get "chocked up" as it was our favorite city but I know I need to return sometime in the future. Maybe I will be "daring" and return to the AngloAmericano for at at least one night..just to see what it is now like. Best regards to you.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, our trip isn't until mid-October. It'll be our first return to Rome since our initial visit to Italy in 1999. It was the first city we visited in that country and fell in love with it. The thought of spending six days there as part of this trip is an exciting prospect. We've been back to Italy twice since then, but went to other parts of that wonderful country....our favorite!
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM

I have just looked up hotels.com for a hotel in Rome that I booked directly yesterday and the price I would have paid online was higher and didn't include breakfast.
Make sure you see the final price with taxes included.