Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel choices: Hotel de St. Germain, Hotel Pantheon, Dauphine St. Germain or Hotel Le Regent

Paris hotel choices: Hotel de St. Germain, Hotel Pantheon, Dauphine St. Germain or Hotel Le Regent

Apr 6th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Susan

After what seems like days of nothing but checking on hotels in Paris, these are the ones that have offered availability. Anyone know anything about them? The Dauphine is offering a suite for my family of four, I am wondering how these are in Paris as everyone comments on how small most rooms are. The Pantheon is the most expensive, would it be worth it? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Apr 6th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Maribel

Susan,
I haven't stayed in any of the 4, but I'll start your thread with a few impressions formed only by some research of my own and a visit to the lobby of each to inquire about availability for friends and ask for brochures and to do research for a travel-related job. I returned this Mon.

The hotels I thought were the most stylish, "sophisticated Parisian", are the Pantheon and the Hotel Saint Germain on the Rue de Bac at the edge of the 7th, where it meets the 6th, only 1 1/2 blocks from Blvd. St Germain, a terrific location
(www.hotel-saint-germain.fr). BUT I'm not sure that's the S.G. hotel you're referring to, since there are several with the St. Germain title. This Hotel Saint Germain (no "de") has been owned by the same family for 30 yrs. It looked very fresh, very well cared for, quiet, and each room is decorated differently with antiques. You might want to check the web site anyway, if this is a different one.

The Pantheon, in the 5th, faces an architecturally stunning square, right to the side of the Pantheon and across from the Law School. It's a lovely setting and a very short walk down Rue Soufflot to the Place Edmond Rostand (where you'll find the aristocratic Dalloyau tea salon-great people watching) and the entrance to Luxembourg Gardens. At the Pantheon you register at an antique desk rather than at a counter, it has a beautiful spiral staircase, and to the right is an elegantly decorated parlor. What I saw oozes Old World refinement, but I didn't see the rooms. It seems to get a repeat French clientele, judging from the well dressed guests I saw checking out that morning. The Pantheon has internet access. See it at www.hoteldupantheon.com

The Dauphine St. Germain and the le Regent are very close to each other, and I like the look and feel of Le Regent better-I'd personally choose it (and get a larger room facing the st) over the Dauphine for its "boutique" style. The location very close to the Seine is really handy. The only caveat is that the street has become very "lively", busy, very heavily trafficked, and noisy at night, but its many fans on this forum assure that the front rms have double glazing, and that noise from the street isn't a problem. The street in front was also being dug up, but don't know how long the construction will go on. Your children actually may find this location the most attractive because of the activity and close proximity to the Rue de Buci market. We were there during Easter week, and that area was especially crowded with young people and lively until the wee morning hours.
But these are all perfectly good choices, I think.
Hope this helps a bit and that others can give you better first hand info.

Apr 6th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Maribel

Susan,
I just found the "Hotel de Saint Germain", on Rue du Four, in the 6th. I now remember passing by it several times, but it didn't entice me to stop in and pick up a brochure because I saw others I found more attractive. Just my very subjective opinion.

Apr 6th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Susan

Thank you for the information..You are the one that got me searching in this direction and it looks like I have it narrowed down to the Pantheon or the Le Regent. Pantheon is considerable more expensive. Do you think it is considerably better.

Apr 6th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Maribel

Susan,
I'm really not the one to answer that question because I haven't been a recent guest at either, but I suspect that euro for euro, you'd be just as happy at Le Regent. It seems still very reasonably priced for its location near the Seine. (It was our second choice after le Madison). Plus, you'd have the advantage of being just 1 1/2 blks from the Seine and a leisurely walk over to the Right Bank. From our 2 hotels in the quartier (5 days on the rue Jacob and the last 4 at le Madison) we found ourselves walking much, much more than taking the metro.

Apr 24th, 2002, 12:32 PM
elaine

topping

Apr 24th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Susan

Thanks for topping Elaine.