Paris Hilton - cancelled reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an award (on points) reservation at the soon to be opened Hilton Arc de Triomphe. It was originally slated for March 29. I then heard it was pushed back to May 10. Today I spoke with Hilton and they said May 21. May 22 is the first day of my stay, through May 28. I looked at the website tonight and see the new open date...May 31.

I haven't had a chance to speak with Hilton yet as three different departments ran away from my question...fourth tomorrow morning.

I'm curious if anyone has any comments as to what I should expect and/or ask for. This property is of the same category as the Paris Hilton and one category above the far off hotel in La Defense.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Construction delays happen all the time and the hotel is probably not any happier about them than you are.

In your shoes, I would make backup reservations elsewhere ASAP. For which I would pay, as there are many charming hotels in Paris that are not expensive, and I would not consider La Defense an acceptable location.

I would demand that Hilton credit me the equivilant of a couple of nights worth of points as compensation, and plan to use them on a future trip. It does not sound likely that using Hilton points is going to work out for you on this one.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Tough problem because replacing a six-day award stay at a nice hotel with paid deal is not cheap. Still, I don't think I would be willing to roll the dice too much longer on a fluidly moving opening date that is now set for just one day before you arrive. Is there any way that your award stay would transfer to the Paris Hilton? No, it's not going to be the new one that you had planned, but it seems like it would be a far more reliable choice. (As nice as a new hotel can be, there is also something to be said for the staff having had a couple of months of "shakedown" operation under its collective belt, too.)
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM

We were suppose to stay there also on points. They want to put us in the Hilton Paris instead for our 6 days. We will be there on May 1st. I'm not at all crazy about that hotel. I feel they should put us in a location that we want since Iam sure they will be collecting from whoever made the mistake. (By the way they had a flood on one of the floors) someone will sure have to pay for this.
jobie
Let me know what happens to you. thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

I don't recall the old Hilton award charts for VIP awards. I think the old GLONP was 125,000 points and they re now 175,000. It seems that they should either put me up at the Paris Hilton (same category) or give me 50,000 points. I have all but one night booked as a backup at the Marriott.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Jobie,
Why don't you like that hotel? I've heard mixed reviews on it myself but it might very well be the one we end up.

How were you informed of this? I wasn't...I had to call on my own so I'm just curious how they are handling this since I haven't spoke with anyone yet.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM

mdtravel: We have stayed at the Paris Hilton and it it is fine. We used none 0of their services or amenities, byt the room was large and well appointed with a large, very well equipped bathroom. Best of all, we had a balcony that looked out at the Tower Effiel and it was beautiful night and day.
We thought the location was excellent as we like to walk everywhere. The only bus we took was from Sacre-Coeur to the Trocadero. Everywhere else we walked night and day. It was great fun to walk into the neighborhoods in the morning as the shop keepers were preparing for their day. We would find a little cafe with sidewalk seating and have orange juice, coffee and a roll while we took in the local color. What great memories.
I would go with the Paris Hilton. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

joegri, that sounds like a great stay. I'm only a lowly gold with Hhonors so I doubt I'd be able to get the tower overlook room. Any tips you might have would be appreciated.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:51 PM

I agree with Lesli. I think you should just forget about redeeming the points and pay for another hotel. I'd rather do this than use the points at another Hilton location that's out of the way in La Defense. Because no matter there is transportation available, La Defense is not a great area. Think of the commuting you'll be doing daily.
I'm the lowest on the HHonors totem pole being a silver member. I can only imagine how I could use those 100K+ points for hotel stays.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM

mdtravel
The only reason I am not liking the hotel was because our first 4 nites are at the marriott, and then we would be going to the new hilton, which I believe is close to the Marriott, plus it looks so much like a regular business type hotel, but I guess I should be just happy that it does not cost us anything. By the way my husband will get the executive floor because he is gold member, (if you do not already have it)I would ask for that for SOME of the inconvenience that they gave you.
Also I went to hilton.com and found out myself that the other hilton would not open in time, So I called Hilton,then after SEVERAL calls,(they acted like I didn't know what I was talking about) also I called Paris, and found out what was happening.
If you need anymore help just let me know. jobie
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

The number I have (901-374-5753) supposedly opens at 7:00. I'm floored that they did not inform people of this and allowed us to find out on our own. Yes the other Paris by the tower looks like a business hotel. It was my first choice though and the only reason we are going to Paris over Rome (again) was the fact that the Arc had availability. This is why I have moved almost all of my business to Marriott...Hilton does a poor job of servicing its customers it seems.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:03 AM

MDtravel:
I called Hilton corporate in UK and talked to Brenda Warner who handles international problems.
Call Crescent Watfrod Hertz UK 011-44-207-8568119. Let now your results. Jobie

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

I've got a couple different conversations going on now. One of them is with the service center. Initially they wanted to put me at the airport location...buzz, wrong answer.

Then they found three award nights at the Eiffel location for me; the other three would be paid for by me, but reimbursed by them after the stay was completed. Sounds odd to me, but in the end things are the same I guess. All they could confirm was a queen smoking room, but it's still a room and from what I've heard about the Eiffel location most rooms are smoking.

I am also corresponding via email with the 'yield manager' at the Arc de Triomphe hotel. She assured me they would be open for business on May 22 (my first night in Paris) and was surprised to hear that their website showed May 31 as their opening day. She said she could arrange for accomodations at the Eiffel location. I asked her whether making the arrangements at the Eiffel location would require cancelling my reservation with the Arc property. Still waiting on a reply.

I'm really torn. I want to use the points, and I want to use them in a nice hotel. I'm not saying the airport location isn't nice, but I'm not going on business...pleasure. I also wish someone knew something about the Arc property in terms of whether it is nice, good location, good service and so on. The uncertainty makes it tough to decide.