Paris for Senior Lady?

Search

Paris for Senior Lady?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris for Senior Lady?

I like to travel alone, no schedule. I've just lately become an international traveler :-}. London last year and Edinburgh this Fall. Would I be comfortable in Paris...i.e. English language? Taxis? Airport to Hotel Transfer?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM

You will have a wonderful time in Paris. Language is not a problem, just learn a few phrases, like; bonjour, merci, etc, and you will be fine. Get a little French/English dictionary/phrase book. You will find English spoken almost everywhere in Paris. Be sure upon entering a store you say bonjour Madam.

You might consider contacting one of the shuttle services that can take you from the airport to your hotel. The charge might be about 20€. A taxi from the airport maybe about 50€. I have used Bee Shuttle and was quite happy with their service.

http://www.bee-shuttle.com/

The Metro or bus system in Paris is quite good and will get you almost every where. If you have a problem with going up and down stairs the Metro could be a problem for you and then use the bus system. You will be doing a lot of walking in Paris and that is the best way to see the city.

Get a good guide book and make a plan of things you would like to visit.

Let us know the price range of hotel and I am sure there are many people on this board who will give you many suggestions.

You should have no problems. Bon voyage!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to find a centrally located hotel, maybe $150 per night?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Good for you passportplus!

On your question about English: large numbers of Parisians, especially those who meet tourists in the course of their work, speak at least some English. Do not expect that they all will, and I suggest that you never act as if you expect it: ask first "Do you speak English?" or, if you can manage it "Parlez-vous anglais?". Lash out the "politesse" -- plenty of bonjour monsieur/madame, s'il vous plait, merci, and so on. Show willing, and they'll do their best to work with you. If you meet a curmudgeon (they exist everywhere) don't let it put you off.

As everywhere, a smile goes a long way.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:03 PM

You will do fine. I just returned from my 4th trip to Paris and love it more everytime. My friend and I are in our late 50's and we managed just fine. We stayed at Hotel St. Jacques which is in a great location with several nice placed to eat just across the street and around the corner.

By the way Fordorits, that hotel is putting in air conditioning.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM

I am a senior, solo traveler. I have been to Paris many, many time...leaving on Tuesday..taking grand daughter and her husband for their first trip. I also have places rented for a month in the fall and in the Spriung of 2009. Also 2 places rented in Brittany for fall of 2009.

Here is a url for a great guide with maps for arrondissements, bus, metro etc. routes... all you need to get around. Bues do save a lot of up and down steps with the metro. http://tinyurl.com/6rdxb7 You can order it from Amazon.

Yes, learn the customs of the country..re salutaions etc. You will find that they will speak English far better than you using French. If you try, they will then speak English.

You probably should take a hotel for your first trip to have the Concierge help.

Enjoy........
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM

You will probably love it so much you may have a hard time going anywere else after you've been there! A favorite hotel for many Fodorites (ours too) is Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in the Marais. Very reasonable and comfortable and a great location. Also very popular, so you need to reserve well in advance. Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Mambo_

From another thread:

"In Paris the St. James allows Americans to pay at a 1:1 dollar/Euro exchange rate" Not sure if this is correct, but you can check it out:

http://saint-james-paris.com/

http://nymag.com/travel/2008/spring/45583/index1.html

>-

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi P,

If you liked London and Edinburgh, you will love Paris.

Learn a few basic phrases - Hello/goodbye, Please/Thank you.

Most of the people that you will have contact with will speak some English.

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 97E sngl w/bkfst. It is located near 3 metro stops. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

Photos are at http://tinyurl.com/ludgd

Enjoy your visit.