First trip to Paris

Search

First trip to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Paris

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Paris in a couple of weeks. Neither of us speak French. WIll that be a problem? What type of clothing should we take for the middle of May? Does anyone have suggestions for places to eat? Any suggestions on how to organize our 5 days there would be appreciated. I want to make the most of our trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hi suvgal,
You will get along fine. Just learn the words for please, thank you, excuse me,etc... and everything will work out.

I recommend that you do a search on Paris at this forum, there is a HUGE amount of info answering exactly your questions. You may also want to look at the Fodor guide at the site for Paris, which offers some possible itineraries.

Ideas for YOUR 5 days will depend on your interests, which are...

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The language thing depends on what you are trying to do. If you've figured out your own plan, can follow a map, basically know where you're going, lack of French will not hinder you.

If you are trying to ask someone a question or attempting to use the telephone, then yes it would be a difficulty (ask your hotel front desk for help with restaurant reservations or directions would solve this one).

On our 5 day trip in Paris, we looked thru a guidebook (we brought along) and/or street map (which we got free in the hotel lobby) either in the evening or each morning over breakfast and picked out a couple things we wanted to do that day, that were located near to each other... then set off and did them.

Unless you are a real foodie, I would not try to plan restaurants ahead but rather keep your eyes open around your hotel or during the day if you see anything interesting write it down so you can find it again. Don't miss the crepe stands and bakeries!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM

The weather in May is likely to be hot much of the time, if recent years are any indication. During the past few years, the first week of May in particular has been quite hot, the rest of the month less so.

The average temperature in May is 58° F, but the last decade has been much warmer. However, you won't really know until about 24 hours in advance, so it's best to pack things that you can add or remove during the day to accommodate changes in temperature.

Today in Paris it's a bit cooler than normal. A few days ago, it was much warmer. You never know.

As for language, if you remain in touristy areas, most people will speak some English. If you stray from this path and go to places where tourists are rare (such as supermarkets or other stores that typically are frequented only by residents), you may not find anyone who can speak English. Overall, though, there are more English speakers in Paris than in the provinces, simply because it is a more touristy and cosmopolitan place compared to other areas in the country.

It's useful socially to learn a few polite phrases that you can use out of courtesy while in Paris, although obviously these won't allow you to actually communicate with someone who cannot speak English. Much interaction with visitors is limited to certain contexts (buying things, etc.), and so you may be able to get by with sign language, or your interlocutor may speak enough English in that specific context to be able to help you, even though he or she may not be able to communicate on other subjects.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM

I don't speak French much beyond a few words that are quite basic.

I got along ok in Paris. I do suggest that you look at the RATP site and get an idea of the bus lines.

I looked at the site before I went and tried to figure where the lines were on my city map.

I do recommend that you get a map of Paris and look it over well before you go.

Any good Paris map will also have the Metro lines on it. Know the different lines and figure out how to reach your prime objectives.

I would also suggest that you select a list of several prime attractions, perhaps 5 of them all told, and make that the top priority for each day.

Schedule lesser attractions that can be sacrificed in priority order after the main objectives.

If you can cluster geographically your major objectives so much the better.

I know my first trip there, we scheduled the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, Giverny, and Versailles on different days.
I was glad we did because each took more time than we had realized.

One thing about Paris that has struck me on each of my visits is the quality of many of the less publicized attractions.
The Michelin Green guide is a vital too in planning what to see after the "biggies."

Also, I learned not to plan too tightly. Paris has a way of unfolding as you go and unexpected attractions seem to appear.

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Hi

I would advice you to buy a guidebook (if you have not bought one already) and start to read and plan what you want to see in Paris When it comes to weather you can check www.weatherbase.com . Then you will get an impression of what the weather will be like.

My wife and I have been to Paris before (see my trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/paris.htm) and we went there again this Easter We don't speak much French either but we managed to get along..but there were a couple of misunderstanding along the way but nothing serious. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM

You probably can't hire his at this late date, but goole Michael Osman. He will cost you about $100 for 8-9 hours of a wonderful intro to Paris...
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM

If you want to attempt the language at all over the requisite "please", "thank you", and "do you speak English?" - buy a Berlitz French Phrase Book (from B&N or anywhere). The book is organized by type of activity, such as shopping, eating, etc., and gives pronunciation help. In a shop, start by saying "Bonjour Madame/Monsieur", then follow their reply by asking if they speak English. The initial polite greeting will go a long way in getting a polite response...

Also, I don't know about recent meteorological trends, but my last May trip to Paris was around Mem Day weekend in 2000, and it was much colder than I'd expected. Definitely bring layers, and bring a warm outer layer in case the temps dip. Plus, in addition to the weather, buildings are old: large drafty stone structures that are beautiful to behold, but don't do much for keeping you warm!

Try any brasserie that looks appealing to you. These tend to have the "classic" French options and most have a local clientele, so you'll get a taste of France on many levels... Look at the chalkboard signs outside for the daily specials. "Formule" = prix fix, or a set price for a two or three course meal. Crepes street food as previously mentioned (savory or sweet, your choice) are also a yummy, fast option...
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM

A few phrases of badly pronunciated French is all you will need to have a wonderful time.

Top things to know about travel in Paris (especially when you don't speak French)

1. As a pp said, say bonjour and revoir to the shopkeepers. Adding "madame", etc. is appreciated.

2. Restaurants seldom automatically bring your bill. It's considered rude. You must ask for it.

3. Counting on your hand starts with your thumb (1). Your index finger and thumb=2, etc.

4. There's an underground sidewalk to the Arc d'Triomphe. Do NOT try to race across the street like other tourists.

5. The museum pass is an excellent deal, and you can skip most lines. Also, there's so many museums in Paris, it also acts as a kind of bathroom pass!

And, skip the breakfast in your hotel (or only get it the first morning). Trying a new bakery every morning is one of Paris' treats.

Oh, and someone mentioned jotting down the location of a restaurant you want to come back to. I would recommend making a reservation while you are there.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 03:07 PM

I would suggest that you take a half day tour of Paris from one of the tour companies. It is a really good way to get oriented. Then plan on one must do a day. Leave some other time to wander. Carry a guide book with you so that you can look up whatever you have wandered into. Buy or borrow some language tapes. Half the fun is trying to use some of your language skills...and have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Just want to thank everyone on the board who helped with info on Paris. We enjoyed our trip and had no trouble communicating with the people. Most spoke English or attempted to speak to us. Menus were in English ... just ask for an English menu. If they didn't have one one of the waiters would translate the menu for us. Sorry I didn't write sooner but we're getting ready for a trip to Alaska and I've been busy researching.
Thanks again to everybody on the board.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

How Fun!

I have made my first trip to Paris, and now I have a list of things I still need to do. It's a verrrrry long list.

Go to Paris, see a few things, and then just wander around and have cofee or wine. I just left the city with my list of things "yet to be done."

Have Fun!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM

suvgal, if you are still around. If you have the time, a trip report would be greatly appreciated, especially for first timers. Hotel, restaurants, sights, bakeries ..

You never know, maybe you 'discovered' something new to all of us.

Glad you had a good trip, would love to hear more.

Nina