Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Family-Friendly restaurants in 1st?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Paris in a few weeks with children aged 12 & 9. We are staying in the 1st arrondissement near the Louvre-Rivoli metro stop. I am sure there are many nice restaurants around but perhaps not as many in this "touristy" area.

It would be nice to have some moderate/nice (75-100E for family) options as well as some lighter (<50E ??) options as well.

Are reservations usually required? It would nice to be able to be spontaneous.

Will a 3-course fixed price menu typically last 1-2 hours? Or more? The kids are troopers but multiple long meals might not be ideal every night.

If there are any other must-do's in other areas feel free to suggest, though in general I can see us wanting to stay near the apartment after a full day of sight-seeing.

I know this type of thread is common, so thanks for your patience.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM

I don't often recommend this restaurant, but the Hippo might be just the ticket for you.

It's a chain that features steaks (hamburgers too), and they're definitely kid-friendly. Thei web site lists a location very close to where you're staying, at 29, rue Berger near Les Halles.

Don
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM

My recommendation for kiddies is a fondue restaurant - there are quite a few of these in Paris. They are usually in the more touristy bits e.g Latin Quarter, and are thus pretty busy, but do good affordeable food and are child friendly.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95% of the restaurants in Paris are family friendly, in every arrondissement. Do you actually think that the French lock up their children at home to go out?
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Hippo. Or only as a last resort.

Yes, a Le Menu can take over an hour. My daughter has been happy with writing postcards, writing in her journal, or going over pictures in her camera (we bought a cheap digital camera so she could take her own pictures.) But you may be right to not do that to them every night.

Go early for dinner (about 7pm). Reservations are recommended in many places, but not all. Often you can make dinner reservations during lunch if you see somewhere interesting.

Most bistros are fine for children of those ages. You can just get regular advice on places to eat in the 1st, and assume your kids will be fine. Eating early is the key.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM

I think it depends how expensive the restaurant, to some extent, as to how long those 3 course prix fixe meals last. In some of the cheaper places, they are not as elaborate, of course (ie, one course may be very simple, particularly the entree or starters). Don't go to restaurants or bistros if you want to eat and run, it's just not worth it. Go to a cafe. I don't think I've ever spent less than 1.5-2 hours on a dinner, but I enjoy dinner and it is an "event" for me (most of the time, depends if I have some place to get to) in and of itself, so I like to take my time and relax.

If you want to have a 3 course meal in less than an hour, yiou might want to go to a fast food or sandwich place or some cheap chain, because I don't think that is going to happen in a real restaurant, even the more modest ones. If it only took an hour, you would be eating pretty fast, but it is possible, if they serve you immediately as soon as you finish something. That could happen but I wouldn't depend on it.

You want to feed a family of four for less than 50 euro? I think that's a fast food place or a pizza place or something like that. There are some real cheap restaurants in some areas, but often a prix fixe of 12-15 euro means not much food so you may not be full (or the meat is real fatty or something). For example, go to the tourist street rue de la Huchette in the Latin Qtr just near the quay in front of Notre Dame. There are tons of cheap restaurants along there and take-away shops, that's good for a day or two and it's not too far away.

For a "nice" restaurant, I'd recommend the Chez Clement chain for you -- they have good prix fixe meals, a lot of choice, and special menus for children. Check out their website http://www.chezclement.com/ I know the adult prices are around 30 euro but their "junior" meus are more like 8-10 euro for kids. They are real attractive, also. Their Bastille location might be the closest to you, or maybe Opera.

There are actually some pretty cheap rstaurants along rue Mouffetard, also (or some side streets just off it which you can see if you are walking up and down it). Some of them are only around 15 euro prix fixe, actually, and that could be a fun night out for you as that market street has some interesting shops. The Pot de Terre is real cheap, for example. Of course you can't expect real great food for those prices, but it will be okay (17 euro 3 courses for adults, 10 euro kids menu). http://www.lepotdeterre.com/

I don't really know restaurants in your area that well. I suspect you'll find something once you are there and look around. I did stay near Chatelet metro once and there are places to eat around there.

this thread might interest you http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-trop-cher.cfm
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the specifics,Christina and others. We'll give some of the moderate options a try and see if the budget (time and money) can handle it for the whole week.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM

If you're staying near the Louvre-Rivoli metro stop, it's only about a 1/2 mile walk to the 5th and 6th arrondisements, where there are many more restaurants, with a huge range of prices. Generally, you'll find cheaper restaurants in the 5th, and a lot of ethnic places, too.

A more local type of chain (but it's actually Belgian), if your kids like mussels, is Leon's of Brussels. I'm not sure of all of their locations, other than the one we've been to in the 6th Arr., on St. Germain de Pres, but there may be one closer to your hotel.

We took each of our kids to Europe for the first time when they were 10, and they were fine with the longer meals in Europe. We usually bought a la carte, not le menu, and often had dessert elsewhere - either a crepe or ice cream. That helped with the length of the meals (and I usually skipped my customary after-dinner coffee too).

We relaxed our rules on toys at meals, and allowed them small things (DS had 5 one-inch figures that he made elaborate fantasies about), but only after ordering, and before the first course arrived. Both of them often ate only one course (we adults usually had two); restaurants were fine with that, though they would often ask when we wanted the child's course served (with our appetizer or our main course).

If your hotel allows food in the room, you could also pick up meals from one of the many prepared-food places and eat casually in your room.

For lunches, we try to change things up a bit. On our last trip to Paris, we stopped at the great cheese shop Androuet and had fun selecting unusual cheeses, then bought bread, some sweets and a half-bottle of wine and other stores, and had a picnic on a bench near the feet of the Eiffel Tower. It was magic!

Another fun option for kids, for lunch or dinner, are creperies. Ok, I like them too!
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM

Pied de Cochon?
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Two other options-one on the right bank near you is Rue Sainte-Anne, 75001 Paris, France. There are a lot of little Japanese restaurants on that street with great inexpensive noodle dishes-also sushi if you like that.

On the other side of the river is our favorite street for wood-fired pizzas, rue des Canettes. Our favorite is the Santa Lucia because it is larger, but Positano and Chez Bartlo are probably more well known. It is .9mile by foot, but metro is easy to-it is nearest St. Germain des Pres.
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM

We stayed in the 1st in January - here are a few options:

- do you like Asian food? Higuma has two locations in the first and serves enormous bowls of many kinds of noodle soup as well as delicious dumplings (there are other menu choices). It's good and a great place to people watch - be prepared to stand in line at peak hours but the line moves incredibly quickly

http://higuma.fr/

There are a lot of other noodle restaurants around the Higuma location on Rue Sainte-Anne if the line is too long.

- near our apartment was a local restaurant (not many tourists, but then it was January) with good food and reasonable prices.

Aux Bon Crus
7, Rue des Petits-Champs, 75001 Paris
Tél : 01 42 60 06 45

Mains are about 16E each and very generous (confit, fish, meat specials). You could probably have a main and a dessert or a main and a starter for the high side of your budget. Their menu is the same price lunch and dinner which is nice

- A bit of a walk (but not bad) near the Bourse is Domaine Lintallic which specializes in Perigord cuisine - heavy on duck/confit/etc. The 12.50E Lunch menu included an appetizer and main plate, which includes a demi of wine (or main plate plus dessert if you prefer).

Restaurant Domaine de Lintillac
10, rue Saint Augustin
01 40 20 96 27

- again a little north of where you are, Le Mesturet is an excellent bistro with a reasonable menu that is the same price lunch and dinner. Starter/Main or Main/Dessert was 21E (in January) - Starter/Main/Dessert was 24E. Doesn't leave much for wine but you would eat well!

Le Mesturet
77 Rue Richelieu
75002 Paris, France
01 42 97 40 68

- Galeries Lafayette (big department store behind Opera Garnier) has an amazing food floor with a huge range of delicious prepared food. You could easily graze there for your budget. (there are tables and chairs - it's a popular lunch spot for business people)

- the Passage Choiseul (north of you) has many restaurants (particularly Asian, but pizza and pasta as well) that cater to business people - good looking food and very reasonably priced. But not open in the evening or weekends.

Have a great time!