Reload this Page >

Paris eateries good food, good price and ok to go to with kids,,,,help

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Leave for Paris soon and I know there has been discussion about restaurants and kids. I want to know your fav's and where are they. When I went to Paris last (kid free) I ate at many great places but did hit a few that were brasseries that were awful, I do not want to be stuck with that bill again with a big family in tow and bad food.

Thank you for your advice!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

Mezza Luna is a family-friendly Italian restaurant with a few locations around Paris. We ate there a couple times.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM

Bistro Romain is a kid friendly place that offers meals at reasonable prices (and even a kids menu I believe). While not exactly four star gourmet fare, it is decent and moderately priced. www.bistroromain.fr/ has a link for a 20% discount coupon that you print out.
Leon de Bruxelles is another with several locations around town that offers kid menus. www.leon-de-bruxelles.fr/
You may also want to check out www.eatinparis.com

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM

How old are your kids? I don't think you need to go to special places with kids. I was just there with a toddler and we picked places that weren't too small (both because we didn't want to be on top of other people and needed a bit of space for her to flail around a bit) or too quiet or that had too many glasses on the table! But overall any brasserie or cafe that seemed good was fine and she found something to eat. I just wouldn't go anywhere very fancy or where the other dinners are out expecting a quiet formal meal. Lunch almost anywhere is fine (and there were other families about). Dinner was a little harder with a very child because of the late time of meals.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM

My girls loved Le Relais de l'Entrecôte on Rue Benoit just off Rue Jacob in the 6th. All they serve is steak and fries - no menu, just steak with a good sauce and fries. They particularly liked that the waitress comes around and gives you seconds. My older daughter just returned to Paris on her own, and she made sure that she ate there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM

bookmarking
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM

Il Pescatore at 28 Rue des Ecoles is wonderful. It is across the street from my favorite hotel in Paris, Hotel St. Jacques and I've eaten there at least a dozen times. Usually filled with french families, many children and the food is great. They have these dinner sized pizzas that are wonderful and some great fresh specials. The last time I was there the special starter was half a melon filled with Port. Yummy. Maybe not for kids but you get my drift.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

The ages of my kids that are going are 18,13,9, and 5. I to agree I do not mind a few kid friendly places but I was more interested in good food, prices and service. We are staying by the Tuileries and Rue De Rivoli area.

There are so many places to choose from I would love the recommendations of places that are good.

Am writing all these places down and going to seek them out for a great meal. One night we plan on going to Le Souffle as I have eaten there and it is pricey but delicious.

Thanks again!!
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM

I really liked the Pudlo Guide (sort of a Paris Zagats). You can search for restaurants to reserve in advance or if you are in a neighborhood, just look up what is recommended nearby.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
tod

Momof5 - I have just sent this recommendation from Frommer's to another poster who wanted casual dining on New Years Eve:

Best Spot for a Family Meal:
The BATIFOL Chain, with locations all over Paris, offers quality Bistro cooking in attractive surroundings at reasonable prices.
The fixed-price menu is only 11.40e ($12.30), and the children's menu runs 6.85 ($7.30). There are branches at 78 Champs Elysees, 8e (Tel.01 45 62 64 93) and 1 Blvd. St-Germain,5e (Tel; 01 43 54 49 05).
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Il Pescatore at 28 Rue des Ecoles is wonderful
===
Sharon - right now I am ON Rue des Escoles - and have 4 children with me. I will be sure to check it out!

We arrived last night - have been in and out for most of the day. Went to the markets this morning on St. Germain - what fun! I realize most would not be as delighted as I was at the simple act of shopping market to market!

Hot wine fabulous...pastries, I am in heaven I think .

Tonight is the Notre Dame - we will go at 9:30 for a celebration they are doing. Getting ready to take
Joyeux Noël to all!
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM

that was take a nap... guess I need it more then I thought.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM

If you feel like Italian or pizza some night, Del Papa at 38 rue du Buci is kid friendly and has great brick oven pizza and pastas
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM

I'd recommend the Chez Clement restaurant chain. There are several around Paris, and I always enjoy my dinner there, and it's a pleasant atmosphere. They have a website with photos and addresses. It's very reasonably priced. www.chezclement.com
I always go to the one in Montparnasse.

I thought someone said on the other thread that Batifol was defunct, but maybe I am remembering wrong.

I ate at a Relais de l'Entrecote last September (the one in Montparnasse) and I think your kids would enjoy that, and the potatoes were good, but the steak was pretty bad IMO. Might be worth one stop, though. But you do get what you pay for regarding the meat (very tough and fatty).

I have eaten at Bistro Romain, and it was okay, I agree with that. I was surprised to see my professor from the Sorbonne in there eating with some friends (and no children involved), so I guess it is acceptable to locals.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Let me know if you check out Il Pescatore. I absolutely love it. The salted caramel ice cream is lovely.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM

No Batifol in PagesJaunes.. found one old address (135, avenue de Malakoff) and there's a Del Papa Italian restaurant there.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
tod

Oh Oh! Thanks fellas for correcting that info I found on the Frommer's site!
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
tod

Just took a look at the addresses on PagesJaunes and see at 78 Ave.Champs Elysees is a Deli's Cafe` and at number 1 Blvd.St-Germain is a very nice looking restaurant but I cannot see the name - on the red awning running around the terrace are the emblem white horns of a steer!? What food chain could this be - anyone?
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 04:21 AM

I see red awnings but no steer horns..Cafe l'Institut
http://ratemybistro.co.uk/370/linsti...dinal-lemoine/
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM

I think it's a chain steakhouse called Buffalo Grill. I'd most likely avoid it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information