Search

Paris - best hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - best hotels?

Hi everyone!

I have only been posting on Fodors for a month, however so far I have had sooo much help and invaluable advice from you all! I am so excited to say that we have confirmed our holiday for August 2016 (4th - 28th!). We will be visiting Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin and Prague, each for 5-6 nights.

I have been doing my research, and have found a few hotels in Paris that are within our price range, and i'm just wondering if anyone out there has stayed in any of them before and could offer some insight to whether they are ok?

Best Western Ducs de Bourgogne
Grand Hotel Dechampaigne
Hotel Agora Saint Germain
Hotel du Vieux Marais
Hotel Minerve
Hotel Austin’s Arts Et Metiers Hotel

Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I have also just found Hotel Clement, which i have heard about on a few other threads on Fodors. What is the general opinion of Hotel Clement?
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Have you taken a look at the locations and proximity of Metro and/or bus stops. I don't know the hotels you have listed but one way to choose is convenience to public transportation.

I would also take a look at recent Trip Advisor reviews for the hotels you are considering.

There is an ongoing thread on hotels you could take a look at:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 05:44 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Clement about 10 years ago. The location was great. A short distance from the Metro. There was movement in the neighborhood at night but not a lot of noise.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 10:37 PM

There is currently construction next door to the Hotel du Vieux Marais, which might be a problem if you're sensitive to noise. Otherwise, it's a good location for transport and you can walk to many attractions from here.

But I'm not crazy about the area close to Centre Pompidou - it's not the nicest neighborhood, especially at night and on weekends, when people tend to get rowdy.

The Best Western Ducs de Bourgogne would be a better choice, and the location is comparable, but much nicer.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 03:54 AM

I've been to the Clement recently. Quite nice and well located.
On the same square you have a great restaurant called pouic-pouic. Great
I've not been to the others but have slept at some best westerns which were all ok.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 09:49 AM

I stayed at Le Clement before and plan to stay again this year. Great location and price. For breakfast, I just walked two minutes to Gérard Mulot.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 10:41 AM

I believe Pouic-Pouic in St Germain on the other side of that market block is closed right now, but I think it is supposed to be opening soon. Good idea.
http://www.thefork.com/restaurant/pouic-pouic/23973

They are doing a lot of construction on that covered market square/mall, whatever one wants to call it (Marche St Germain). I don't think it is supposed to be done by, and more trendy expensive shops are coming in, but there already were, anyway. Like Apple, etc, I think some older tenants are moving out.
http://www.marchesaintgermain.com/
I think the stores are closed but the food market is still occurring. This is the most recent article I can find but it says the cafes and restaurants in that market were asked to leave. http://www.macg.co/aapl/2016/03/lapp...fin-2016-93390

It says it won't be open until maybe Sept-Dec of 2016. Not sure I'd want to stay there, but I'm not that crazy about that location anyway given it is so hectic and St Germain is so expensive and full of boutique stores.

But I have heard of about all those hotels and they are good solid choices. I think the Minerve is more "basic" than some of those others, from what I've seen. And the Dechampaigne is near Chatelet which isn't my favorite area, however that is a pretty good location for Right Bank as it's on a smaller side street south of the Les Halles/Chatelet pedestrian area and that street isn't noisy. I hadn't heard of AUstin's Arts et Metier, though. Convenient enough to a metro stop and I do like Square du Temple park. But just my gut reaction, I don't find it that attractive right around that location, just seems buildings are right on the sidewalks, which are narrow, lots of traffic and noise, etc.

I agree I dont' care for the area around the Pompidou, either.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

We booked a room at Le Clement from August 5-11th! I am so excited, and so grateful for all of your advice!