1st time in Paris

Search

1st time in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in Paris

I've finally confirmed my flight and will be in Paris from Aug 23 to Aug 28 or 29 and I'm not sure of where to stay. I'm on a really tight budget and just want someplace to rest that's safe, cheap, clean, MUST HAVE A/C, private bathroom including toilet and shower,close to public transport and not too expensive of a cab fare from airport. I'm looking to spend $100 or less a night.

I've been checking out a whole bunch of websites but the hotels seems to have mixed reviews. thanks alot

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM

I traveled to Paris last year to see two concerts at the Bataclan, and I wanted a hotel within walking distance. I found Residence Alhambra (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/H33219.html), which was fine -- nothing fancy, but meets your requirements. Its right near the Oberkampf metro stop, so you can take public transport from the airport (take the RER and then switch to the metro).
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:17 AM

US100 (about 70 euros) is not very much for a conveniently located hotel with AC in Paris. There are a couple of chain hotels that are worth considering. I've stayed in a number of Best Westerns in Europe and they're often quite nice: they don't feel like chain hotels (because usually they were once independently managed) and often have a lot of character. You can find BWs in your price range, but might need to stay a little outside the absolute centre of the city. Near Gare de Lyon or Bercy would be less inconvenient than you think; there are good connections for public transport to the airport and the subway gets you anywhere rather quickly. Bercy is an up and coming district with a warehouse feel.

Also check out Logis de France (another chain/franchise); I've stayed in their hotels outside Paris. They have a good selection of 2 star and 3 star hotels. Again, they tend to have character and aren't cookie cutter bland hotels.

Ibis and Etap hotels are the cheapest hotels in the Accor group, a French chain. These do tend to look like cookie-cutter chain hotels but they likely will be a little cheaper than BW and Logis de France. Mercure is one step up in the Accor group and sometimes you can find a deal.

Most of the Etap hotels in Paris are on the periphery of the city, which in some areas is a rather dodgy party of town. Bercy, though, would be ok. Ibis hotels (at least the least expensive ones) also tend to be on the periphery. There is one you might look at in Boulogne Billancourt. This is a very nice suburb adjacent to the 16th arrondissement (where I used to live). It has very good metro and bus connections; you'd be about 20 minutes from the centre of Paris by metro (left or right bank) and be staying in a safe, clean neighbourhood. You'd also be on the route to Versailles, which many people want to visit. At around 49 euros, it might be worth staying a little outside the centre.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Our favorite hotel, mainly because of the location is the Andrea de Rivoli. It is a little 2* on the edge of the Maris about 4 blocks from Notre Dame, 5-6 blocks from the Louvre and 1 block from the Pompideux.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:46 AM

I may be staying in Paris just before that time. For hotels I checked the Timhotel chain, they had rooms (I like their Jardin des Plantes location) and I also checked the Michelet Odeon hotel, great location, and was recommended here. They are about 100 euros a night. Also give Expedia a look, they seem to get some decent prcing on hotels, I've used them for the Auteil Tour Eiffel hotel.

If you are tight on money do NOT take a cab from CDg, use RER...you'll save...probably 40 euro.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:49 AM
ira

Hi V,
You are going in 3 weeks, in the height of the season, and you hope to be able to **choose** a hotel?

Try www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm

I'm not sure about AC, though.

Good luck.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM

If you want to be more central, check out Hotel du France Invalides in the 7th. Or Hotel College Du France (I am staying there in Sept). I don't think either of these have A/C. But will be around $90-$125 depending on Euro x-change. But both are excellent locations on the left bank.
I've stayed in IBIS and ETAP when I drove throughout France. Cheap, clean but very rarely centrally located.
A more realistic budget for Paris hotel would be $100-130 per night and cut cost elsewhere. Remember the cheaper hotels will be on the outskirts and you will have to pay for transportation everyday to get into the city. In the end you will probably pay the same. If this is the case opt for a Paris visite pass 2,3,5 days of unlimited transportation. If you stay in city limits carnet (10)tickets may suffice.
Roissy bus for cheap transportation in from airport or RER(watch your purse/luggage on RER and METRO).
The big budget buster can be food. Don't eat 3 meals a day in cafes ect.
I usually go to the markets or grocery store for fruit cheese bread make your own and store in mini-bar for breakfast lunch.
Remember if you go to a cafe for drinks, it cost more to sit at a table than to stand at the bar.
Check your local bookstore for guide books for budget travel $90 a day.
Have fun and always remember to say hello when entering and establishment.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would go with the Etap Hotel at Laumière, well within Paris, and next to a metro station. 55€ a night, air conditioned, modern, toilet, shower, satellite TV. Unlimited continental breakfast for 5€.

Not necessarily in convenient walking distance to the traditional Paris sights (15 minutes by metro), but in a very nice interesting neighborhood, near La Villette and the Canal Saint Martin, as well as the spectacular Buttes Chaumont park.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ira, I must tell you that August is the second slowest month for hotel rooms in Paris after February. Go figure. (However, it is true that it might be still a tight period for budget hotels, because August is the month that Paris is swamped with Spanish and Portuguese tourists.)
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel Residence Monge a couple of times and they should be close to your budget. I felt it was well located and a good value. You have better get some reservations soon. I would recommend calling this hotel directly and talk with Julie to see availability. http://www.hotelmonge.com/
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM

due to your timetable, you might spend some time on laterooms.com. There you might even get a deal.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your input. I may have to cut short my trip to 4 days and try to get a better hotel. When I get home from work i'll do a little bit more research.