Cheap, nice hotels outside of Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once stayed at Hotel Le Saint-Maurice, in Saint-Maurice, which is southeast of Paris, outside the 13e. This was before I became a little more "savvy" with my trip planning, and we were lucky it was a nice and cheap hotel. Now, we're going back and I've looked at a lot of promising hotels in the city center. But we're very budget-conscious (looking for $100 or less a night), and I'd just as soon stay outside the city if I'm going to get a nicer hotel AND a better price. Main concern is location: somewhere non-scary and fairly quiet at night (we're going to be there on New Year's eve, BTW).
So the question: Anyone know a search term to put in at the top here or on another site to find good cheap hotels outside (but not more than 15-20 min. by metro) Paris? I tried putting in what I just said, and am not getting anything helpful. Or does anyone just have a hotel suggestion or area suggestion for me?
We may end up staying in the center anyway, for convenience, but I'd just like to look at my options. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I don't think that is going to work very well by searching for words on Fodors. The posts on hotels outside Paris are going to be few, and I don't know what word you could search on except specific areas (but you wouldn't know them ahead).

I do know a French hotel website where you can do very specific searches from a map and it has a good list (and links) of hotels. You can try that.

Here is the page with a map of Paris and you can click on the names close by to get lists of hotels, rates, etc.

http://www.gaf.tm.fr/en/france/paris...aris/paris.php

For example, click on Poissy, I think it is okay although I just passed through.

If you go to this part of it, you can even pick farther out by departement (Yvelines, etc.).
http://www.gaf.tm.fr/en/france/parisiledefrance.php

I thought Rueil-Malmaison was a pretty nice little town, and that is where Napoleon's wife Josephine thought so, also (see Malmaison where she lived). Here is their section on that
http://www.gaf.tm.fr/en/france/paris...lmalmaison.php

That's to the west of Paris, but not far, and both RER and bus tranport into Paris. Of course, there are not a lot of charming hotel options in these kind of places, that's the problem. ON that list are just a couple of Ibis, etc.

I personally think you could do just as well looking for a budget hotel within Paris than go this route, and save yourself a lot of time.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks, Christina. I appreciate all the suggestions!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Based on past comments, if you use Priceline you'll be assured of a hotel on the outskirts..

You might try hotels around Porte d'Orleans metro location. Quite a few business-class hotels and the metro line 4 snakes up past Montparnasse, St Germain, St Michel, Chatelet to Gare du Nord, connecting with RER-B a couple of times (hence, you could take the RER from CDG then one transfer).

Also, you're looking for a hotel at around 75€ - even for the outskirts, that is probably still a budget hotel.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Not sure what you are looking for that would make a hotel = "nicer" but see if any of these would be acceptable to you...

Hotel de l'Avre (15th) 75-83€ http://www.hoteldelavre.com/

Hotel les Gobelins (13th) 79-83€ http://www.hotelgobelins.com/
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I've read some good reviews on the Hotel Gobelins. We tried to book a room there last year in an attempt to escape/flee from the disgusting apartment that we had rented for a month, which was right down the street. They were very nice, but of course they were booked each time I called them. Even my whinning and pleading didn't help

The area is nice and safe with many stores, restaurants, although stay away from the Brasserie Les Gobelins on the corner across the street - bad food, even worse service etc..

The market street, rue Mouffatard (sp) is a few minutes away and the metro is less than a half a block away. It's a looong walk to the center of Paris, but the metro is so close so we had no problems in that respect.

It is a popular hotel, so if you are interested, I would hop to it. I like their statement at the bottom of the page (I forgot their exact words), where they tell you very nicely, that they are a small hotel and and cancellations have an impact on their business, and ask you not to reserve until your plans are set.

Also there are few movie theaters (films in English) that show current films, within a block of he hotel. Also there is a Franprix across the street and some good bakeries too.

Let us know what you decide and if you stay there, we'd appreciate more details in your hint, hint, hint .... trip report.

Nina
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM

LOL... I don't have an answer for you but your posting reminded me of a boss I had that always said, "You can have it fast, cheap, or good....pick two."
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I've stayed here: http://hotel-alixia.com

They're clean, modern, spacious, and inexpensive. Antony is 15 minutes by RER B (the CDG train) from Luxembourg in the Latin Quarter.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are going to spend more in transport than you will save in room rent. Personally, I'd look for €75-€80 hotel near the center.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm currently reading reviews on both of your suggestions Travelnut and Nina. I'm liking the Hotel des Gobelins; it sounds/looks like a good place, good reviews, etc. BTW, by "nicer" I only meant compared to the budget hotels in the center. I don't even know if this will be true; I just know we had a good experience staying outside the city the first time. I like it quiet when I sleep, so I figure that's more likely outside the city, although I know you can find quiet places in the city, too. Oh, and I think I pick cheap and good.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I can't stop laughing! The difference between a 2-zone and 3-zone <i>Carte Orange</i> is &euro;5,20 a <b><u>week</u></b>!

Or, if you go the single ticket route, an RER ride for &euro;1,68 (when you buy a <i>carnet</i will get you from Antony to anywhere in Paris.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Well, now I'm thinking I like Hotel d'Avre sounds better, and closer to the city. People are saying it's a few min. walk from the Eiffel Tower.
Have metro prices gone up, Janis? I was thinking it was pretty cheap to zip around here and there; like under $8 for 3-4 days.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM

It takes 11 minutes on RER C to get from Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel to St-Michel Notre Dame.

From Antony it takes 17 minutes on RER B.

Is six minutes worth getting less hotel for more money? Your call.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Not sure what just happened there, but you just answered my question, Robespierre. (Your post wasn't up when I wrote my question about prices.) I just found another promising place: Hotel De la Place des Alpes in the 13e looks good, has good reviews on venere and tripadvisor. Now I am feeling overwhelmed with options, in and out of the city!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
We all know Robespierre's main joy in life is riding the metro/underground. But for me - I prefer actually seeing the sights. Staying in the center means you can walk just about anywhere. A carnet is often enough for a couple for nearly a week. But if you are staying 20 minutes outside of the center then you have to take the train/RER/metro absolutely everywhere. And stopping back by the hotel during the day is a REAL pain.

If you want to save &euro;5 or &euro;6 a night and spend 40-60 or more minutes more every day on the metro/RER - then fine. But some things are false economies. You usually have to give up something to get something.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:15 PM

You can't possibly imagine what my main joy in life is. So that's a rhetorical dead end for you.

To see the sights, you must have wheels to move from place to place unless you have unlimited time to walk around. And it absolutely doesn't matter whether you stay in the Marais and ride the RER to the Arc de Triomphe or stay at &Eacute;cole Militaire and ride the M&eacute;tro to the Louvre.

The difference in transit time is negligible (much more like 10 minutes per day than 60). And the difference in accommodation isn't well-represented by the price differential, because not only are you paying less, but you're getting more - in my experience about twice as much hotel and amenities.

The simple fact is that room rates reflect the hotelier's land cost. The further from the high-rent district, the better the value in lodging. No quantity of snide remarks will alter this immutable law.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM

We stayed at Hotel du Champs de Mars in March--loved it, and even better at 78 euro a night. Rooms were small but very nice...full report in my trip review. It is on the Rue Cler, and a short 5 minute walk to the Metro, 10 minutes to the Tower. Far enough down the street that we didn't see many other tourists.

I know this isn't outside of Paris, but if you are open to inside of the city, this place is a gem!

http://www.hotel-du-champ-de-mars.com/champs2.html
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately Hotel du Champ de Mars was already booked. I tried it yesterday, and was disappointed. It was my 1st choice.
Still drowning in information overload. It'll work itself out in the next couple days!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Try this hotel: http://tinyurl.com/nxmth. The posted prices are above 100&euro;, but the internet prices are below 100&euro;. The rue St. Charles area is absolutely safe, and it is ten minutes from the Eiffel Tower.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Other very reasonable places to stay (that I would recommend) near the Tour Eiffel include Hotel Prince, Hotel Eber Mars, Hotel Grand Leveque.

Nicer, in my opinion, is Hotel Eiffel Park. I stayed there in May and found it to be just fine. I just went to their website, clicked on online booking, then Winter, then entered random dates over New Year's, and came up with a rate of 82 euros. To my recollection, they charge you one night immediately, which can be refunded under generous cancellation policy (this is described when you proceed).

http://www.eiffelpark.com/