Reload this Page >

paris art buff question

Search

paris art buff question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM
euroenvy

paris art buff question

the famous paris salon ( the group everyone was trying to get in to(the impressionists)where were these paintings exhibited ??? and did that change?? when they broke away in 1879 where did they exhibit?

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The salon was an official art exhibit, not exactly a group, and there was a history of some years of the officials rejecting works that were too avant-garde. That started in the 1860s. I know they exhibited on their own (those who were refused) in someone's private studio in the 9th arr. on bd des Capucines. Some famous artists' works were accepted, though, in the official ones. The Paris official Salon had started in the Louvre and Palais Royale, but later on was in some commercial gallery building in Paris, I think; but I don't know exactly where or if it even exists any more and I'm very fuzzy on the details as to location. I think I read something about it being in the Palais de Science or Industrie or something at one time in the 19th cen., but I don't know where that is.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:30 PM

I don't know much about art, but this will get you started. The Paris Salon was an invited exhibit originally located in the Salon d'Apollon in the Louvre. I don't know where it was shown when they moved it, but that's how they got the name.

It was the only major art show in Paris until 1863 when the artists who were refused at the Salon started their own Salon des Réfusés. Again, I don't know the location. Sorry.

In 1874, the artists we know as the Impressionists started their own show. Perhaps someone else can give you locations.

This will move your question to the top of the posts so someone else more knowledgeable may answer it.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM

This piques my interest as I learned about this in a Humanities class a while back...so, I'm topping it in case anyone has some more info or insight!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM

On May 1, 1963 the Salon opened on the Champs-Elysees in the Palais de l'Industrie. On May 17th thenSalondes Refuses opened in a separate part of the Palais. Among the exhibitors were Cezanne, Manet, Pissaro and Whistler.

In 1864, the Salon exhibited works by Manet, Pissaro, Morisot and one work by Renoir which he subsequently destroyed.

In the ensuing years until 1874, the Impressionists work was sometimes accepted but more often rejected for the Salon. The first Impressionist exhibition was opened at 35 boulevard des Capucines organized by the Societe Anonyme des Artistes.

This was gleaned from "The Chronicle of Impressionism" by Bernard Denvir.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:41 PM

While I haven't done the research recently, my recollection is that the large Impressionist show which finally brought the works to the journalists and critics attention was at the Grand Palais. Faulty memory may be involved, but from my art days in Paris, that sticks in my mind.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM

April 15, 1874 - First Impressionist Exhibition at 35 boulevard des Capucines

April 1, 1876 - Second at 11 rue Le Peletier, Durand-Ruel's gallery

April 6, 1877 - Third at 6 rue Le Peletier

April 10, 1879 - Exhibition at 28 avenue de l'Opera

April 1, 1880 - Fifth at 10 rue des Pyramides

April 2, 1881 - Sixth at 35 boulevard des Capucines

March 1, 1882 - Seventh at Salons du Panorama at 25 rue St-Honore

May 15, 1886 - Eight and last on the second floor at Maison Doree, a restaurant at the corner of rue Lafitte and boulevard des Italiens

From The Story of Art by E. H. Gombrich:

A respected critic wrote in 1876: "The le Peletier is a road of disasters. After the fire at the Opera, there is now yet another disaster there. An exhibition has just been opened at Durand-Ruel which allegedly contains paintings. I enter and my horrified eyes behold something terrible. Five or six lunatics, among them a woman, have joined together and exhibited their works. I have seen people rock with laughter in front of these pictures, but my heart bled when I saw them.----It is a delusion of the same kind as if the inmates of Bedlam picked up stones from the wayside and imagined they had found diamonds."

OK, who is going to plan the walking tour?