Musee Paris Museums...Carnavalet, Cluny or Les Invalides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself, my cousin and total of 4 kids, three boys ages 16,14 and 13 and one girl age 12 will be visiting Paris this summer. We travel in Europe each summer with home base in Swiss Alps. We will see the usual top Paris sites but am wondering which of following three museums would be best choice for this English speaking group...the Carnavalet,Cluny or Les Invalides. Over the years, my cousin and I have found if the kids are happy...we are happy, so choice is critical. Any feed back would be appreciated!!! Tks.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM

The boys will be happiest with the <i>Mus&eacute;e de l'Arm&eacute;e</i> at Invalides and the Cluny. I would guess that the Cluny and Carnavalet would suit the girl best.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I enjoyed the Carnavalet but I think a museum with a firmer 'theme' might be more enjoyable for younger people. Not sure if I can express what I'm thinking - the Carnavalet is a conglomeration of paintings, furnishings, a little Art Nouveau, some pre-Roman artifacts, etc and feels a bit like a 'jumble'.

The Cluny is distinctly medieval, Invalides is distinctly military, so you maybe can see what I mean. I think they would all appreciate the Cluny, espec. if given an article or two about 'medieval life' for some background flavor.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply...there is so much to see but I have learned to choose carefully and try not to overwhelm and then all have a good time!!! Thanks again!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Carnavelet is my favorite museum in Paris - small but well edited. Just my $0.02!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Mambo_

We toured the Carnavalet, but it was underwhelming, maybe because we'd made a point to walk a long way to get there. I liked the neighborhood it's in, though, and found a beautiful little park and some shops and cafes.
&gt;-

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM

I enjoyed all three, perhaps being a bit more partial to the Cluny.

I agree that the boys would enjoy Les Invalides more.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM

It's hard to say without knowing the girl's interests. I guess I'd choose the Cluny, also, as it is small and contained and has some sculpture and art. Really, I think Les Invalides might be more interesting, not sure. You'd have to really be interested in history, I think (and not necessary have tons of testosterone, it's the history thing, but including wars within that general rubric). But they sometimes have other special exhibits at Les Invalides that are photography or art, so I'd check on that.

I have never been that fond of the Carnavalet myself, think it's rather a bore.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

I have not been to the other two so cannot comment, but our 16 yr old daughter (true girlie girl) loved Invalides last summer. She has already said that when we go back next year she wants to spend more time there.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I'm a 'girl' (very grown up) but my favorite display at Invalides was the room full of suits of armor, for men, for horses, for small boys... rows and rows of them.