Less Known Museums of Paris

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less Known Museums of Paris

Having been to the d'Orsay, the Louvre and the Jacquemart Andre, I was hoping to go to the Monet-Marmottan on my next visit to Paris. But now I'm reading about the Petit Palais. Since I especially love 19th century art--impressionism and post-impressionism--which of the two is better for that? Also, anyone been to the Maison de Balzac or the Musee de la vie romantique? Any thoughts?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM

Since you are mainly interested in impressionism and post-impressionism, the Marmottan is by far the best of the four you mentioned. I am fortunate enough to get to Paris two or three times a year and always go to the Marmottan. Unless the Petit Palais is having an exhibition of impressionism, I don't think you will find any of those paintings there. It is an interesting building; I have not been in it since the recent refurbishing. It has been many years since I was in the Balzac museum, but unless you are interested in his works, I don't think this is worth a trip. The same goes for the Musée de la Vie Romantique. I was very disappointed in that one, but if you are a George Sand fan, perhaps you will have a different opinion. Put the Rodin and the Orangerie at the top of your list with the Marmottan.
Enjoy.
Boots
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM

I've been to both the Balzac and le vie romantique..both okay..have you looked at the Nissam de Camondo? We loved it!What about the Carnevelet, the Picasso, the Orangerie...there are just toomany to list! You can't miss the Marmottan!

Check out the Gustave Moreau!

We loved the Petit Palais!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful replies! Yes, been to the Nissam Camondo and loved it. And to the Carnavalet and, to be honest, was dissapointed. Please tell me more about the Orangerie...

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM

Marmottan, of course. The Orangerie has been closed for renovations for many years and would never be lumped into "lesser known museum of Paris" category. It is a much beloved one that has been eagerly awaited reopening for its display of Monet's Water Lilies. The Carnavalet is one of our absolute favorites. YOu do realize it is a history of the city of Paris in art, don't you? If you look at its paintings from that point of view, you will see the timeline of Paris depicted by artists of the day. But everyone doesn't have to like the same thing, of course.
We also love the Cluny.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:20 AM

And for the Carnavalet, my absolute favorite floor is the French Revolution and particularly the "cartoons".
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

The Orangerie is closed? Everything I can find says it reopened in May of last year. Can anyone confirm?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:32 AM

Cimbrone, l'Orangerie is alive and well -- and open.

The Marmottan and the Petit Palais are both excellent.

Musée de la Vie Romantique - the house is charming and gives a view of George Sand's life. There are numerous rooms devoted to Ary Scheffer paintings. There is a garden and tea room open during warm months. It's located in a very 19th Century neighborhood (get off at Métro Saint-George).

You might also enjoy the Musée Antoine Bourdelle. It is located in his former home/studio, and the gardens are lovely. It is interesting to see the evolution of his work. His earlier works recall Rodin, with whom he worked, and his style develops over time.

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:37 AM

The Orangerie was closed for so long that it was about to become one of the lesser known!!

It is really well laid out and the lighting is excellent..there were long lines even in November so buying your ticket in advance at FNAC saves a lot of time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:41 AM

At someone's recommendation I am going to try the Musée de la Marine at Palais Chaillot in Trocadero. I grew up on the ocean so will be interested in seeing all the nautical and maritime items. I've had enough of paintings.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM

beaupeep, we loved the musee de la Marine ..some of the figureheads are amazing. They also have a great gift shop there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM

Given that many 19th century artists were influenced by the strong interest in Japan and China, it might be worthwhile to check out the Guimet Museum in the 16th (metro: Iena).

Also, there is a fun guidebook on Impressionism that does "face to face" comparisons of Impressionist paintings of places in Paris against modern photos of the same.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM

Actually it was because of the gift shop that I will go in May. I am trying to replace an old Hermes scarf that got stained badly and I was told it was an exclusive from their gift shop. I took a look at their website, liked what I saw and plan on going even though when I called they told me that they no longer sell this scarf (Jacques Eudel Compass for anyone who might want to sell one!)
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Can someone provide information about FNAC? Best method of buying tickets in advance for the Orangerie and the Marmottan? I couldn't find the proper website. Can someone provide a link?

Thanks again to all!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:26 AM

Why hasn't any one mentioned the Pompidou? It's open late, has a great permanent collection and lot's of interesting temporary exhibits. It can be a breath of fresh air at the end of a long (and glorious) day of Paris museum touring.
Bon Voyage
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM

Since no one has mentioned them..Musee de la Moyen Age (Cluny) is nice, small, with art and objects of middle ages, built around roman ruins. I'd also add Picasso Museum, and, if it interests you, the Musee Militaire.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM

Cimbrone: you don't need advance tickets to the Marmottan. It doesn't get that busy. I walked right up to the ticket window the day I went last May. At the Orangerie, on the other hand, I waited in line 2 hrs!!

If you like 19th century art, you will want to visit the Musee Rodin, which is just delightful. Nearby is the Musee Delacroix also.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

Making notes for my May trip. Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

FNAC website is in French and if you're unsure about ordering there, you can just go into one of their stores in Paris to buy your tickets. There are several. I know the ones on rue de Rennes , Pl. de La Bastille and Blvd St Germain near Pl St Michel.

Also there is a ticket counter at the Virgin Megastore in the Carousel de Louvre where you can buy advamce tickets
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, jody. By searching on Fodor's, I found something called www.ticketnet.fr but there was an 8 euro per ticket delivery fee. So I didn't buy. And I'm not sure I trust the mail. (There was some talk on the thread about having tix delivered to your hotel.)

Do you think tickets for a Sunday in June will be available the day before at the locations you mention?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information