Paris, best bets for artist

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister who I am traveling with to Paris next week is an artist. Since this is a city for art and likely many artist spots, I wanted some advice on what to avoid and what is a must-see. This is of course, beyond museums. Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM

I'm not sure what you are looking for -- do you mean some good, small private art galleries where you can buy something? What are you looking for in an artist spot? There are some good art supply shops in Paris, for example. What kind of artist is she, it makes some difference.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Or are you speaking of places where she can sketch or paint? If you will be a little more specific, I think there are a number of us who can give you good advice. Also, tell us what medium/technique she uses. There are SO many choices!
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

You are all right..I was way too vague. But maybe that's part of the problem. I thought I'd read about an area where a lot of local artists either work, live or show their art. She mainly paints, watercolors or acrylics. She's finishing her teacher's credential after getting a degree in fine art. I saw that Paris is now hosting a program where you can connect with a local artist and arrange a time to talk with them in their studio, etc. Looking for neat things like that. Or even what's the best place to go to get our portraits sketched.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM

http://en.parisinfo.com/paris-sights...ans-at-work-1/
Meet Parisians at work - not too many artists, but there is a schedule on this site.

You might also want to "google" art squats in Paris. There is one on the rue Rivoli, but last I heard it was closed to the public for "safety reasons." When I went there a few years back, it was a wild spot of varied art themes.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Well, looks like the art squat is being "renovated" and is closed until Jan 2008
http://www.paris-update.com/topics/squat.htm
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The Palais de Tokyo is a contemporary art museum with a changing program of installations by local artists in a big stripped-down space in the same building as the Museum of Modern Art of the City of Paris.

My art student daughter and I enjoyed our visit there last year.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM

An open air art market - The Marché de la Création Bastille will celebrate three years of existence on 5 May 2007.
Boulevard Richard Lenoir hosts a major art market every Saturday from 9am to 7pm, with painters, sculptors and creators displaying and selling their works in person.
The Marché de la Création Bastille is a must-see for collectors, art lovers and visitors in search of original work.

There is also one at Edgar Quinet Metro in Montparnasse on Sundays, 10 a.m. to 5 or so.
http://www.marchecreation.com/montpa...ndex.php?lg=fr

Then there's the Viaduc
http://www.viaduc-des-arts.com/GB/index.html

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'll print the post.