Our love with affair with Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My acquantanance writes this blog and I found this piece particularly insightful given my imminent (1 hour) departure for the airport to fly to Paris. Here is an excerpt: "When I sold a bunch of our stuff on craigslist last summer, two middle-aged women in a row were so excited for me that they got teary-eyed. One actually hugged me! I knew her for all of five minutes, and our entire relationship was based on my selling her a $15 lamp, but she appeared thrilled just to meet someone who was living her dream."

http://vegetariansinparis.tumblr.com...air-with-paris
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM

You are going to my favorite city in the world.....have a beautiful time!
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It always makes me sad -- the number of people who think that they can never go to their dream destination (not necessarily Paris) when often all it takes is a bit of planning.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Kerouac, I have a phrase to describe it, failure of imagination. In my experience, if one can imagine it one can do it. I realize some have more practiced imaginations than others but if they only realized how simple it can really be to have one's dream materialize, as you say, sad. Tragic really.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM

“But I really do believe that there is something specifically American about this obsession with Paris.”

Tentek, I believe that you are correct. Starting point: David McCullough’s best seller THE GREATER JOUNREY, Americans in Paris 1830-1900.

In the 19th century, America was pretty rough and ready place. Hundreds of our more privileged writers, artists, medical students, musicians, politicians and the like flocked to Paris to study or just enjoy the good life. They definitely translated Parisian cultural influence in art, fashion, and civil planning back home.

And let’s not forget Hemingway and the contingent of American writers, artists, and jazz musicians who moved there in the 1920s.
Films by the score continued to dramatize the more romantic aspects of Parisian life from SINGING IN THE RAIN, to LAST TIME I SAW PARIS, to MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

Another point of interest might be the D Day factor for what it is worth.

Just returned from Paris and I believe the hype is worth it.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM

We get to visit Paris again this September. I am excited to go just with DH, and no one else. Last time, it was our family of four, which means someone is always hungry (or tired, or sick, or bored. . .). This time it's just for us. Yay!
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 09:33 AM

As soon as I saw the title, I had to click on it!

I love Paris and hope your trip meets your expectations...I think it will. It sounds like you had to work for your dream trip and that may make your appreciation for your time in Paris even stronger! Travel is such a wonderful education and the ability to travel is something I am so grateful for!

Bon voyage!
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Just don't get the "Paris Syndrome" !