Paris apartments

Apr 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Paris apartments

My family of six adults and one 3-year old child will be traveling to Paris for a week this summer. I am nearly going blind going over all the options for apartments. Has anyone had any experiences with the group "Paris-be-a-part-of-it.com"? We have found an apartment that we like and it appears to be listed with a couple different agencies with different terms. Is this common? How do you know which one is legit? Any help is greatly appreciate. We are trying to book soon.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM

It's pretty common for an apartment to be listed with more than one owner-to-renter/agency/booking service.
Apr 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM

Have you seen this apartment?
http://frenchyrentals.com/condamine.html

The managers are a young, upright American couple.
Apr 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Dave,

Thanks for the helpful information and the referral. The apartment looks gorgeous, but unfortunately it is on the 5th floor with no elevator. That would be a little tough on the 3 year
old child.

Is there a neighborhood you would recommend? My son and daughter-in-law are first time travelers and so they want to stay right in the heart and center of it all. I'm wanting to be in a more "less touristy" part of the city, but yet close to walking. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
artzycat
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM

If your budget is ample, look at Parisperfect. Lovely apts in the 7th. A residential neighborhood but easy accss to the 6th. I think would be a good compromise for your group. This agency sets the standard IMO for short term Paris rentals.
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM

It's very common for apts to be listed with several agencies. If you were an owner, wouldn't you want to list with several to make sure it was booked? If I am interested in a place, I do a serious Google search (by street and some characteristic) to find if it is elsewhere, so I can compare terms.
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Try the Maris (3e or 4e). I lived in the 3rd with a 3-year old and loved it! It was off the tourist track, but close enough to the attractions to walk. For example, we loved walking to Berthillon's for cones on Ile St. Louis from our apartment and walking to the Notre Dame to play in the sandbox. There are many families with small children living in this area, and the parks were filled with kids after school - especially at the Place des Vosges.

I actually had my heart set on living in the 6th by the Luxembourg Gardens, but we couldn't afford it. When we visited that area of Paris, my kids were a little overwhelmed with all the people everywhere - I'm glad we lived in a less trafficked area.

Also, yes apartments will be listed with different prices/terms by different agencies. A good place to browse is on the Paristay's website (www.paristay.com). They list hundreds of properties, giving you a good idea of the price/selection available.
Apr 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I would recommend looking on the Ile St Louis itself for an apartment. It's so central, and yet quiet too. I agree that the area around Place des Vosges is very appealing. My problem with the 7th is that it seems far away from the real heart of the city, with fewer cafe and bistro options.

Apr 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM

I'm currently staying in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in the 11th on Ave de la Republique less than 50 yards from the St. Maur metro stop. 4th floor with elevator. Large & spacious with the living room and dining rooms overlooking the street. There is a phone store at the entrance that sells a variety of sims and a bank on each corner. Grocery stores in three directions. There is a park 2 blocks away that a 3 year old would love. Lots of restaurants nearby and a crepe stand on the next corner. The owner's daughter met us when we arrived and went over everything. I'm definitely doing this place again. Found it on VRBO #47170. Will post more when I get back.
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips, especially the areas good for kids. My daughter-in-law (who has never traveled in Europe) is afraid that anything outside of the 1 and 2 districts is too far out. I keep trying to tell her you can walk everywhere. She will see once she arrives. Thanks again to everyone.

Carole
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I wouldn't want to stay in the 1e or 2e. That's just me personally..I much prefer Saint-Germain, the Marais, Montmartre, though that's a bit further.

It's a great walking city, and the metro is very easy to use.