Paris hotel near Louvre?

Apr 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Paris hotel near Louvre?

We will be arriving Paris 10am on a Wednesday. Departing Thurs evening 7-ish. Since we have such short stay, we'd like to book hotel near Louvre/Notre Dame. We're not at all opposed to something more Bohemian than modern, but we have to have a shower/bath insuite and twin beds. Since we'll be dragging our bags, something close to train that can take us to Orly. And we'd like to stay under $200 if we can. Someplace close to cafes/bakeries, too if possible for quick breakfast since we'll want to get on to the sightseeing part. Louvre and Notre Dame are our two priorities. We plan on taking the Siene cruise that evening and visiting Eiffel at night. These hotels rec'd adequate reviews on Tripadvisor. Can anyone give us first-hand account of stay at any of these: Hotel Louvre St. Anne, Hotel Residence Henry IV, Hotel Park St. Severin, Hotel Castex, Minerve Hotel or Hotel St. Christopher? Or recommend something that fits the bill? Also, is St.Germaine area close enough to walk to Louvre? It seems to be a nice area, too. Thanks, Fodorites. I love yous guys.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Anything you find in arrondissements 1-2-3-4-5-6 is very easily walkable to both the Louvre and Notre Dame. Most Paris hands would even add 8-9-10-11.

True Bohemians cans find rooms for less than 50€. If you are willing to pay $199, you will have no problem at all finding a hotel.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Oops - how did I lose the beloved 7th arrondissement?
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM
tod

Want Bohemian? You'll certainly get it if you stay at Hotel Esmeralda, 4 rue St.Julien-le-Pauvre, 75005.
Many years ago on a tight budget my friend and I booked in here.
Room on first floor(not ground floor)via a really ancient staircase. Our enormous rooms had two french doors opening out onto a full view of Notre Dame and the beautiful little garden of Square Viviani across the narrow road. Our room looked directly at one of the oldest trees in Paris!
The furniture was abominable and we scratched alot in bed but hey, we were supposed to be Bohemians so stuck it out.
Needless to say you wouldn't get me back there even if the room was free!
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM

http://www.paris35.com/

for hotels considerably cheaper. The Louvre is across the road from the Louvre metro station so any hotel near a metro station is really good enough, though one on the same line is better.
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM

OMG Tod, I've a friend who still is a travel agent...that's the only place she'll stay! As I recall, she takes the elevator up until they don't go up anymore and then walks to the rooms under the roof. She said that the view did leave her breathless AND the money she saved was well spent other places!
I forgot about that one...THANKS!
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Oh! Sarge? I stayed at the Hotel Relais du Louvre ... in the 1eme...out the door, look to your left et voila...
Le Louvre!
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Hi sarge56,

This summer I'm going to be in Hotel Brighton & Hotel de la Place du Louvre -- both are close to the Louvre. The second one is a bit cheaper.

They're both on this site:

www.esprit-de-france.com

Good luck!

s
Apr 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Ian

I stayed at the Brighton & it is very close. Nice big room with faux antiques. Downside: When you walk out the door, you're on the Rue de Rivoli which is busy & clogged with tour buses & ticky-tacky stores.

Ian
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kerouac and all. Tod, I don't think we were thinking THAT Bohemian, but thanks for the laugh!!! We have, (after way too much research!), decided to stay at the Hotel Hospitel on the Il de Cite(?), next to Notre Dame. It looked awfully interesting and had great reviews on trip advisor. They've offered us a double for E110. We think that is a really good price and are looking forward to this interesting accommodation atop a working hospital! We'll send our trip report as soon as we return in late October. As usual, you guys rock! Thanks again!