Search

Paris apartment scams

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris apartment scams

Hi
My daughter and I are in Paris for a few days to view apartments and visit a Letting Agency she has been corresponding with on the internet. Each of the apartment owners had shown pictures and given addresses, however when we arrived the addresses were either non existant or owned by someone else. Even the agency was not at the address advertised. In each case the owner had made contact by both email and phone asking for a deposit in advance to secure the keys, fortunately no deposit was sent as we wanted to ensure the apartment was in a reasonable area. We were obviously being scammed, the scammers didn`t expect us to fly over to Paris to view their apartments - two of the address were from agencies recommended on this and other sites. Now we are fast running out of time; patience and trust! How does one manage to book an apartment in Paris for at least 3/6 months at a reasonable price for a young person (ie studio/or one bedroom/would consider a shared apartment with another female) without being scammed or being charged 500 Euros by some agencies just to pass on details of available apartments? She is not expecting a 5 star apt for 2 star prices but a clean reasonable place to stay. It was a lot easier obtaining an apt via the internet in Japan than in Paris! Help! Please.
Thank you.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Where did you find this agency? Any reputable agency is a member of the FNAIM and displays it.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

It was on various sites and appeared genuine but unless it moved from its address within 48hours of phoning my home, its dfinately a scam as it was defintely not at the address they passed on to us,and was not known by adjacent businesses.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM

I'd love to know which agencies that you've read about here on Fodors were trying to scam you...thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM

well, your post does no good if you don't tell people whose these agencies are. Why aren't you naming it?

I have rented from three agencies and was never scammed because I knew they had been in business a long time and were registered with the city, and I had seen comments from others. The ones I chose were really well-known, also, and advertised in a lot of mainstream publications (including France Amerique, I believe, which is a French newspaper published in the US).

It is very surprising that you were scammed not by one but by multiple agencies recommended on Fodors.

Okay, for long-term rentals, I would suggest you try one of the ones I have used. www.lodgis.fr They do everything by the book, I can read French so I could read and understand all the legalities and contracts, and they were very thorough in complying with the law. They wouldn't be doing that if they were scam artists (as well as me getting the apt fine). Also, they did follow-up surveys for satisfaction.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have just registered today - so were you lurking to read all the recommendations on Fodors, or was it perhaps some other site(s)

What agencies are you talking about. It is sort of hard to give advice/possible explanations w/o that useful detail.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:02 AM

oh, if you are actually in Paris, you can drop by one of the other ones I used, Locaflat, which is in a building over near La Motte Picquet metro stop. http://www.locaflat.com/

They've been a member of the Paris Convention & Visitors bureau since 1983. They don't have as deluxe places as many of the ones touted on Fodors so much, and have a lot more in outer arrondisements, which is why I liked them. You will have no problem getting ripped off, although I don't know if they'll have something in your budget. I rented one place near Censier metro from them which would be great for a student as it is right near a university branch and the owner has now switched to only wanting longer-term tenants of a month or more, I believe. It was actually a very large one-bedroom, though, so is probably too expensive for you.

Locaflat also handles student room rentals, if you can't find an apt. This is in more student residential housing.

I have never heard of any agency in Paris charging 500 euro to pass along information, I can't imagine where you are finding these places.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM

oh, BTW, if you are using actual real estate agencies in Paris rather than those geared to vacation or short-term rentals, that may be the problem with the fees you are finding.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are also special agencies catering to student needs. You can usually get the list at any of the schools.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM

We stayed at this studio this summer. Look at:

Nadine's Studio 30 sqm Paris 9e near Montmartre/Opera

E-mail : [email protected] Website :

http://locationparis9.canalblog.com
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who took time to reply. We are viewing a studio 2morrow morning 20 mins from Paris. jkbritt`s suggestion doesnt appear to be on site mentioned, and as we are flying home tomorrow afternoon we have ran out of time. A lot of places advertised but not available when you contact agent. Do watch out for bogus `owners` who ask for deposit in advance of keys to be sent direct to Africa,as address of flat just doesnt exist or is owned by someone else! My daughter got names from expatriates.com and craigslist.com some were genuine but owners advised in advance apts was already booked, whilst others were definite scams.
janisj I am not too sure what you are inferring by suggesting I was "lurking" I am far too long in the tooth, and have neither the time or patience to play silly games!
My daughter commences employment on 8th Sept so I guess a short spell in a hotel is not out of the question until hopefully something turns up. Thanks again. Au revoir!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Interested to know of anyone here who uses Craigslist?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM

oh, I thought you said these were agencies recommended on Fodors. Craigslist is hardly a sterling place to look, it's full of deviant characters and criminals for lots of businesses. I don't think an owner can be blamed if the place is rented before you look at it exactly, and the ads are on Craigslist forever, aren't they.

Some agencies may not apparently be at addresses because they are really just one person with a phone, also, it may not be a scam because you see an address and no big sign. Now in your case, maybe they were, but I don't think Locaflat is at all obvious from the street and don't know their neighbors would know them. Now sure, if the address of the flat doesn't exist, that isn't good. You would have saved a lot of time if you had used more reliable and reputable sources, I bet.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
cw

I would not use craigslist for an apartment anywhere, unless I had some glowing personal recommendation from people I know.

And never "wire" money through Western Union for a deposit on anyplace.

jkbritt's suggestion is the website listed--30 sq. meter studio between Montmartre and Opera.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure no one on here recommended Craig's list. Or if someone did -- 20 others would have immediately jumped in to post "NO - don't use craig's list!"

That is why the whole post didn't make sense to me - all these scam agencies that were supposedly recommended on Fodors??
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Never seen expatriates either.

I've been bookmarking rental sites and specific rentals for a while, with the goal of taking the plunge next time. I probably have 75 links, but no expat.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM

this is totally off topic but be VERY VERY wary when purchasing ANYTHINGS on CRAIGSLIST. actually DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OFF OF CRAIGSLIST. My family was robbed at gunpoint yesterday IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE by someone who was advertising a used iPhone via CRAIGSLIST. he proceeded to follow my brother home after my brother declined his offer (they met at a gas station after the guy tried countless times to acquire our address but failed) and stuck a gun in the faces of my brother,father,uncles, and cousin. I thank God that no one was hurt more than a few minor scratches and a lot of anxiety as they were able to take down the assailant. the tragic thing was the kid was exactly that, a kid. only 17. what can you possibly need that badly at 17!!! i'm not posting this looking for sympathy or anything like. I sincerely hope that this does not happen to anyone else and their family. You can never be safe enough and although I've heard about things like this happening you just never think that it can happen to you. Just please be wary and safe at home and in your travels.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM

I'm wary of Craiglist at home, but to use it for something overseas...pass.