Paris apartment review - 4e

Old May 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris apartment review - 4e

Hi Guys,

Just got back from an 8 day stay at a paris studio apartment and I wanted to write a quick review of the place for those interested.

Here's the website: www.florencedoria.com, it's located on 21 rue du Pont Louis Philipe. It's an excellent location, just one block north of the Seine river in the 4e, with 2 subway stations within a 5 min walk. There's also very little tourists in the area, so you feel like you're living in paris, rather than just visiting. Plus there's a ton of local markets, grocery stores and shopping all within a few blocks.
The apartment is located on the 1st floor (i.e. 2nd floor in North American standards).

If you want to find the exact location, search on www.pagesjaunes.fr under the restaurant La Perla (Bar), and it's right next to it on 26 r François Miron. Even though it's next to a bar, it's really quite quiet due to the heavy windows they have, plus all the other stores on the street close around 5pm.

I did all the bookings through the internet, and the owner Florence speaks English as well. I was able to pay using paypal, but you do have to pay the full amount in advance, plus give a cheque for damage deposit (which she mails back after you leave). She's very courteous, met us at the apartment when we arrived, and called us a few times just to make sure everything was ok.

The apartment size is quite spacious, as you can view on the webpage. Everything is very new and good condition and the place is spotless. For 100 Euros per night (includes all taxes and utilities), it's quite a good deal IMHO. Plus you get the perks of a laundry machine, full kitchen with microwave oven, dishwasher and fridge (all Parisian sized, of course). There's also full satellite tv, with a bunch of english stations like CNN, BBC, MTV, etc. She even has wireless internet available, but I couldn't access it since my palm only uses the 802.11b (she has a G router, not sure why it couldn't connect?). We even saw the maid come and she started to clean even the cushion covers, along with all the bed sheets and towels.

The only drawback was the futon/bed, which is twin sized and a bit flat. If you're not too fussy about having a real bed to sleep in, then it'll do fine, but others might need more.

Overall, my wife and I really loved the place and we'd definitely go back again.
So if you're looking for a reasonable priced apartment stay for a week or more, give this place a look.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Good detail, but I think most people like having a decent bed to sleep in when they travel. At least people know this place isn't for people who like to sleep. I'm amazed you and your wife slept in a twin-size futon for 8 days and consider that a place you'd go back to.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I'm with Christina. Thanks for being honest. This is sure a place I'd NEVER want to rent. My main objective in a hotel or apartment is a nice comfortable place to sleep. All the charm, character, and location in the world wouldn't make up for a lousy place to try to sleep.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Hi
It is a beautiful apartment but I agree with Christina, that would be too uncomfortable to sleep on such a flat mat for more than one night! They should get a real bed , the rest of the apt looks so nice.
Thanks for the report!
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, my mistake... I asked my wife to confirm the bed size and it's actually a QUEEN sized futon bed.

We actually didn't mind sleeping there for the first 3 nights, but after that it started to get a bit flat in the areas where you sit (as do most futons do). Both my wife and I are pretty skinny, so it didn't really bother us much and we still slept like logs there. We didn't wake up with any back pain either (which I occasionally do after sleeping on a bed with poor support).

So if a comfy bed is number 1 priority on your list, definitely look elsewhere. But if you can tolerate a futon, then this place is a real gem.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:49 PM

ttt
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:28 AM

I'm one of the few who also would prefer all the other attributes in the absence of a high-falutin' bed. It never occurred to me that staying thin all these years might be a reason.

Thanks for the smile, RoyalJelly.