Paris 5 days - Itinerary Validation

Mar 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Paris 5 days - Itinerary Validation

I got to Paris alone in Jun '06. I will be staying near the Eifell Tower. I am trying to take it easy on the day 1 - owing to a long tiring flight. Listed below is my itinerary with the arondisements #'s in the parentheses. Will this work? Should I change something?

CM

23-Jun Fri: Eifell (7), Hotel de Invalides (7), Palais Buorborn (7)
24-Jun Sat: Arc De Tromphe (8), Central Pompidou (4)
25-Jun Sun: Sainte-Chapelle(4), Notre Dame (4) Ile St.Louis Walk (4)
26-Jun Mon: LOUVRE (1)
27-Jun Tue: Versailles, Latin Quarter Walk (7)
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I think you can do about ten times as many things as you have listed here, even allowing plenty of time to just wander, sit at cafés, shop, etc. This is really bare bones, except for the first day, which is about right.

I also doubt you'll want to spend a full day at the Louvre, unless you are a tremendous art buff. It's huge, that's true, but even 3-4 hour would be a lot to take in.

I suggest you get your map and guidebooks of Paris out and find some other activities to round out your stay - the Marais, the Musée d'Orsay, some of the smaller museums, some markets maybe...

And having just returned from my gazillionth trip to Paris a few days ago and having just done this for the first time, I recommend you go up to the top of the our Montparnasse on a clear day - it's quite an extraordinary view, and you can sit in the café there and have an (expensive!) drink with tout Paris spread out below you - good way to get the lie of the land.

Mar 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I don't see any problem in your being ble to do those things. You seem to have allowed plenty of time and won't be rushed. The only thing I would personally change would be the last day where you combine Versailles with a Latin Qtr walk. Of course you can do that, and it will stay light very late at that time of year. It's just that for myself, I would think Versailles would involve many hours of walking/standing, and thus I might not want to do a walking tour upon getting back to Paris, but something more relaxing. You could easily do that on the day you have for the Louvre, and I think that would be a good combination -- indoors and outdoors.

As for the Palais Bourbon on Friday -- do you just want to look at the outside of it, or tour it? I don't think it has guided tours for individual visitors except on Saturdays (at 10, 2 and 3), but I'm not sure about that. Do you have a reservation for a tour? I know you need a reservation to view a session, and I think special reservations if you want a tour in a language other than French. Their website right now does not seem to even mention the ability to tour except for groups, so maybe things have changed. Anyway, if you just want to see the building from the outside, that is no problem with your schedule.
Mar 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Hi columbiaman,
I like your itinerary, especially since a mot of people tend to overbook their days. I've been to Paris a few times on my own, and I know you'll love it.

Day 1 is good, if you really like museums, you could potentially add Rodin to that day. I checked the Palais website, no visits when Assemble is sitting, otherwise it seems you need an invitation from a Deputee to visit.

Day 2 will be a really nice day. I recommend walking between those two locations, along Rue Rivoli and Rue St Honore. The Opera Garnier, Place Vendome, Place Concorde,Tuileries gardens, Palais Royal are places to see between the two locations. Place des Vosges (east of CP) is nice also. Day 3 is perfect, Day 4 I would re-iterate the comment that it is huge and can be overwhelming. Perhaps adding a tour or two, plus a list of your must sees would help break up the day the day. Day 4: are you thinking of a tour or taking the RER? I see Parisvision has a tour leaving at 8:45, returning at 12:45, leaving near Louvre. The only concern would be getting back in time. You could do it one your own, taking train, doing a guided tour,and seeing gardens. The fountain shows are Sat/Sun.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/

You might also want to consider a night time cruise on the Seine. I like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf, which are near Notre Dame and have smaller boats. There are also the bateux mouches which are nearer to your hotel, and larger.

There are also a lots of evening concerts in some of the older churches, including Sainte Chapelle and St Julien le Pauvre. One consideration with these is that they tend to start around 8PM, and since restaurants tend to start serving dinner 7:30/8...

Hope this helps,
Mike

Mar 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
ira

Hi C,

You might find these helpful.

Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Jacquemart-Andre’ Museum http://tinyurl.com/p9pol

Mar 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Hello,

I would considering linking the Latin Quarter walk in on Sunday with Notre Dame since its so close together. I stayed in an apt in the Latin Quarter, about a 2 min walk from Notre Dame, very quick. The Quarter is also a good place for cheap eats.

On Monday the d'Orsay Museum is closed which means the Louvre will be packed on Tuesday. The lines can be painfully long. I always enjoyed the Louvre on late nights. The museum is open on Friday until 9:45PM. Arrive around 5-530PM and that would allow plenty of time and less waiting in line. After 3-4 hours sensory overload sets in but at least going at night gives you more time for the other places on your list that are not open after 6P.

Have a great time!
Alicia
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM

bookmarking
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Hey columbiaman, I'll be there those same days so I think I'll poach some of your ideas if you don't mind, taking note of the recommendations.

I second (third?) not trying to pack too much into this one trip - you will be back.
May 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help. I have modified the itinerary and it looks like this:

23-Jun Fri: Eifell (7), Hotel de Invalides (7), Musee Rodin (7)
24-Jun Sat : Musee Orsay (7), Arc De Tromphe (8), Conciergerie (1),Latin Quarter Walk (5)
25-Jun Sun : Sainte-Chapelle(4), Notre Dame (4), Central Pompidou (4), Ile de la cite Walk (4)
26-Jun Mon: Musee Louvre (1), Montparnasse view (14), Musee Picaso(3), Sacre-Couer (18)
27-Jun Tue: Versailles

I have put Latin Quarter Walk on "If Possible"

A few questions:

1. I think it makes sense to purchase a 4 day museum pass from 23rd to 26th
2. I plan on purchasing a ticket from CDG to Zone 1 for 8 Euros and a carnet.
3. For the last day trip to Versailles, I plan on using the Forfait Loisirs (leisure package) for 21.20 Euros.

I need help from someone in validating the itinerary and the transport plan.

gemeaux - I am staying at the Hilton Paris, Where are you guys staying?

CM
May 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Columbiaman - I'm glad to see you added the Musee d'Orsay. I really liked the Louvre, but I loved the Musee d'Orsay.
May 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
ira

Hi C,

You are, of course, overplanned. Just don't force yourself to follow a schedule.

You might want to consider on Sunday taking the metro to Monceau, walking through the Parc Monceau to the
<a href="http://www.culturespaces.com/www.cul...Andre'</a> for Brunch, seeing the museum, walking over to the Arc de Triomphe and then down the Champs Elysee to the Louvre.

Have a nice visit.

May 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
ira

Phooey, the link didn't work properly.

Sorry for messing up the formatting.

May 21st, 2006, 06:25 AM

bookmarking
May 29th, 2006, 10:01 AM

CM, we'll be at the Hotel Madeleine Opera in the 8th.

Just a note about the Seine cruises--I was considering one as a romantic option but after witnessing a few go by a few weeks ago I've decided to pass on the either noisy drunkards or dull, surely overpriced, dinner.

If you want to meet fun singles (or maybe even singles-for-the-night) try the Funky Paris pub crawl on Saturday night. They post the itinerary on their website >http://www.funkymaps.com/funkyparis/index.php< Mainly American/Brtish group so this may not appeal to you on your vacation.