Pls critique my Paris 5 day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,<BR><BR>My husband and I will be spending 5 days at the end of April in Paris as part of our honeymoon. I have been for 2 days previously, but this is my hubby's first time to Europe. We want to see the Big Sights (ie. eiffel tower) and a few museums. We are not huge museum fans, we prefer to people watch and see the sights. I have also left time for to wander around and do spontaneous things.<BR><BR>How does this sound:<BR><BR>Day One (Friday)<BR>Afternoon Arrive in Paris<BR>Walk around Latin Quartier – near hotel<BR><BR>Day Two (Saturday)<BR>Arc de Triomphe (8th)<BR>Champs Elysees (8th)<BR> <BR>Day Three (Sunday)<BR>Musee d'Orsay in the morning (7th)<BR>Napolean’s Tomb (7th)<BR>Eiffel Tower at sunset (7th)<BR>Night Cruise (6th)<BR><BR>Day Four (Monday)<BR>Louvre (1st) <BR>Notre-Dame (4th)<BR>Ste Chapelle (4th)<BR> <BR>Day Five (Tuesday)<BR>Versaille<BR><BR>Day Six (Wednesday) <BR>Sacre Cour (18th)<BR>On to Venice!<BR><BR>Thank you for your help!<BR><BR>Jamie<BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM

jamikins: You have worked out a pretty doable itinerary. But don't set it in stone - because weather, crowds, how you feel etc. will determine what you can and can't accomplish.<BR><BR>Day 2 will give you a lot of extra time to see other sites - it does not take all day to see the Champs Elysees. Maybe take one of the l'Opentour sightseeing buses. They are hop-on-hop-off so you can decide if there is anything you want to see alonf the way.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Your schedule sounds very good. I agree that Champs Elysee/Arc will not take a day, maybe half. And, mostly you'll be looking in stores - not particularly interesting. I had a very nice lunch at Vesuvio (a 3 course prix fixe menu $18) a couple of blocks from the Arc on Champs Elysee.<BR><BR>And, may I also suggest that you slip into the Rodin museum; it's just across the street from Invalides (Napoleon's Tomb). Invalides won't take much time. Lovely small museum with garden sculptures and a small cafe.<BR><BR>If you're not big museum goers, may I suggest that you purchase Rick Steves' Paris guidebook and you can rip out the d'Orsay and Louvre sections to take with you (rather than carry the whole book) and see the highlights - takes about 1 1/2 hours or so for each museum.<BR><BR>Have not taken l'Open tour in Paris but have done hop on/off busses in other cities and I think they're a great way to get an overview and be able to stop anywhere you want.<BR><BR>I spent a month in Paris and always think what I would do with just a week. My sister spent the first week with me so I wanted to make sure we hit the highlights (that is, what we all read about). If you'd like my trip report, e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 05:39 PM

Day two strikes me as being a light day.<BR>If that is what you want, that is what you have. Perhaps you will spend more time walking along the shopping area of the Champs Elysee than I think.<BR>You will of course be in a position to look at Place de la Concorde and the Tuilleries Gardens.<BR><BR>It does not take long to see the Arc, even if you go up in it. Certainly no more than an hour. If you plan on spending the rest of the day shopping, then you will have ample time to do it.<BR><BR>Otherwise you might consider including another attraction for the afternoon.<BR>I can suggest any one of several places that might be of interest.<BR><BR>I think allowing a full day for Versailles is a good idea. You need to give that one time because the gardens are nice, and there is more than one tour through the palace itself.<BR><BR>I think you are allowing way too little time for the Louvre. My suggestion is either plan a real visit, or dump it for something else.<BR>I fear that you will spend most of your time walking around the corridors just gawking at stuff with little meaning to any of it. <BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Well, it's a great itinerary assuming you are going to do lots of other things in Paris besides what you outline here, which is pretty sketchy. Realizing it is a honeymoon itinerary, I'm reluctant to add to your list, but Day 2 in particular seems pretty paltry. You could definitely do more on this day. I mean, the Arc de Triomphe is at the end of the Champs Elysees, which is nothing but a huge commercial street in Paris, so even if you climb up and down it, it's only going to take an hour or so to see all this. You have the rest of the day to see another, more interesting, part of Paris.Spend the rest of the day in St-Germain or some interesting part of Paris that you haven't included in your itinerary.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! My husband is interested in cooking, so we are actullay taking mornign cooking lessons on the morning of day 2. That should fill up that day! ANy other thoughts?<BR><BR>Thanks! Jamie
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:18 PM
sjk

Not to plug Fodors or anything, but I've found their itineraries of what to do in a place for X number of days to be a pretty useful guide. Your listing sounds pretty comprehensive but you may want to check out the miniguide for Paris: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=ove
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:10 AM

My absolute favorite museum in Paris is the Roudin Museum. It is in a beautiful estate that showcases only his work and a few pieces from a woman he was involved with. You can see it all in a couple hours, or less if you don't linger. It is right by the Hotel des Invalides, so I would stop by there on Sunday after you see Napolean's tomb and possibly move Musee D'Orsay to Saturday. <BR><BR>I highly recommend it! I think it is perfect for &quot;non-museum&quot; people. <BR><BR>Also, have dinner or lunch at L'Argeuntille near the Louvre. A great restaurant that is not at all touristy and a great surprise once you get in the door. <BR><BR>Have fun. Are you ever on The Knot? Your id looks familiar
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:59 AM

You might want to bear in mind that the Champs Elys&eacute;es (and other popular shopping streets such as Boulevard Haussman and Rue Rivoli) can get unbearably crowded on Saturday afternoons. If I were you I'd try and do this on a different day.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:14 AM

Sounds like a great itinerary. <BR><BR>And not a single comment from anyone that it is too ambitious...that's a first!<BR><BR>Do you like Monet's artwork? If so, I highly recommend the Marmont museum, which is devoted to his works. This competes with Orsay as my favorite art museum in Paris.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, I willmake a few minor adjustments! <BR><BR>And yes, Liz! I am a faithful knottie! Just planning my honeymoon...we got married Nov 30...are you still on the knot?
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Hi:<BR><BR>Do not forget to go to the roof deck of<BR> La Samaintane department store and take<BR> a walk along the Seine. One more place<BR> I heard that is worth a visit is Rue Cler near the eiffel tower. One more thing if you like to walk take a stroll<BR>from the Louvre to the Arc down the Champs ely. Have fun a perfect time to be in Paris. El<BR><BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Just seconding two recommendations: L'Argenteuil is indeed a gem of a restaurant and well off the beaten path of tuorists.<BR><BR>Musee Marmottan is wonderful. The best place to see Monet's water lilies and there are several other impressionist paintings that are like little treasures. It's also a nice walk from the museum back through the 16th to the Eiffel Tower.<BR><BR>A Carte Musee (3 or 5 day) includes admission to many museums and is a convenient way to avoid lines. Ste Chappelle, Picasso Museum, the Cluny are all included, as is access to the top of L'Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:44 AM

Hi again! COngratulations on your wedding! That's great. Yes, I am still on the Knot...our wedding is July 25th. Though now that we are trying to plan the HM, I'm over here a bit more <BR><BR>Your trip to Paris sounds fabulous. You guys will have such a good time!<BR><BR>Take care!<BR>Liz