Paris for 2 days

Apr 7th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Paris for 2 days

After a cruise we are planning to spend 3 nights in Paris. One day we want to see Versailles. In the remaining night and day, I need suggestions on how/what is worthwhile and best use of our time.
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:11 AM

It depends on what you like. For me I'd try
1) The fat tires segway tour (it gets you out and about and getting to know the place)
2) Muse d'Orsay, full of lovely items in an old railway museum
3) Memorial to the martyrs Deportation (makes you think)
4) The cathedrale, if you have never been in a European one before
5) Wander around the Ile de St Louis
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM

If I were going to be in Paris for only 2 days, I would not spend time at Versailles. After 8 trips to Paris, we have visited Versailles only once. There is so much of value to see and do in Paris, you will only scratch the surface in 2 days. Keep in mind that our suggestions are what we would do, not what you might want to do.

If I was going to Paris, I would:
1. Take a Seine River cruise.
2. Visit Ste.-Chapelle and Notre Dame.
3. Visit the Orangerie and walk through the Tuilleries to the Louvre. Since the Louvre is impossibly huge, I would choose one or two works of art to see.
4. Have a picnic in Luxembourg Gardens or the sculpture/rose garden of the Musee Rodin.
5. Visit the Musee D'Orsay.
6. Visit the Eiffel Tower and climb part of the way to the top.
7. Walk, walk, walk through Paris, stopping for a cafe or vin if you need a break.

You probably can't do all of this in 2 days so do some research on this board. Travellers are constantly asking what to see and do in Paris. If you search the forum, you will find lots of ideas. But all of them will be what those who reply would do. Only you can decide what you want to do.
Apr 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM

I second mamcalice's suggestions, but note that you won't have time to do them all. The Louvre is at least a half-day excursion and should probably be at the top of your list for museums, unless you are a huge fan of Monet (Orangerie) or the Impressionists (Musee d'Orsay). The Rodin museum is also great and has really pretty grounds.

I would add a tour of the Opera Garnier (like a mini-Versailles) and take the English language tour if you are there at the right time. It's my favorite place in Paris.

But the best thing to do in Paris is to walk around the neighborhoods, especially the Latin Quarter and the Marais.
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Take a Seine cruise at night to see the monuments all lit up. I would stick to smaller museums, if you have any interest., maybe L'Orangerie and Rodin.

I would avoid the sites that are known for long lines, you don't have time to wait too long. Walk or use buses to see as much of Paris as you can (skip the Metro this time...you will see nothing). If there is something you really want to see, go there first and be there when it opens (ste. Chapelle, would be good choice here).

Be sure to plan out the sites you want to visit and ensure they are open that day. I would plot out the day on a map and decide if you should walk or take the bus. See the site below for bus routes.

http://www.paris-tourist-information...is-bus-map.pdf
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM

first of all you will want to stay somewhere central, and near an RER or metro stop to making getting around easy.

secondly, you need to work out what you want to see, and what things are near each other, so that you don't waste time dotting backwards and forwards. also what is open on the two days you are there - some museums close monday, others tuesday.

on Day 1, you might start with Notre Dame [the queues should not be too long if you get there early, then make for St. Chapelle. after that get a batobus [water bus] along the Seine to the Eiffel tower [you probably haven't got time to queue to go up] then walk down to Les Invalides, and up to the Rodin museum. after that, walk east through St. Germain to the Musee D'orsay, which is probably enough for one day.

Day 2 - Start with the Louvre, [probably a couple of hours will be enough the first time] then walk through the Tuilleries. when you've had enough of that, get the metro to Bastille and walk through the Marais to the Pompidou Centre [aka the Beaubourg, taking in the Place des Voges on the way] . you could then get the metro to the Arc de Triomphe, and walk down the Champs Elysee, if you've got the energy, or go to the Opera Garnier and do a tour. by now you will probably be exhausted. or just sit in a cafe and watch Paris go by.

if Day 1 is Monday reverse the days, as the Musee D'Orsay closes mondays, the louvre on Tuesdays.

there are of course hundreds of other things you could do, AND have just as good a time, if not better.
Apr 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM

If you wish to visit Chateau Versailles while in Paris, you should definitely do that, particularly since you have nothing else, in particular, in mind.

Obviously, there is much more "worthwhile" than you'll have time to do.

I'd recommend, if the weather is favorable, a ride around on l'Opentour, hopping off here and there.
Apr 9th, 2012, 02:35 AM
ira

>If I were going to be in Paris for only 2 days, I would not spend time at Versailles

Nor would I.

Apr 9th, 2012, 04:58 AM

What I did my 48 hours in Paris:
Notre Dame, Louvre, D'Orsay, l'Orangerie, Champs Elysees, Eiffel Tour (but only from the ground), Batobus, Pantheon, Jardin du Luxembourg, both Iles, and general walking around most of the first six arrondissements within spitting distance of the Seine

What I wish I'd also managed to cram in, but saw on a subsequent visit:
Montmartre

What I haven't gotten to yet, meaning I still have to return once more:
Monet Marmottan