Search

Paris - 10th anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - 10th anniversary

Hi

My wife and I are planning a 4-5 night trip to Paris as part of a larger trip involving Switzerland and BF in Germany. We both fly into Paris on May 6.

I was told to find accommodation in the MadelIne region as the location is perfect. We've never been to Paris before. We both just turned 40 so it's a special trip for us.

Any broad ideas over the 5 days that we should cover. We aren't big on art but we'd still like to see some of the museums, highlights, not to miss sights.

We take the TGV Lyria to Zurich after our trip. Hope you can help. Thanks

SS
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Just to make this bit more specific - is the metro the best way to get around apart from my own two feet? We'd like to stay in the city and not make day trips outside. Hope this helps.

SS
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:38 AM

The Madeleine district is very cental on the Right Bank with good transportation options, so its not a bad place to stay. It's just kind of a business district for my taste, but so are some others. I don't know your tastes but suspect there might be other locations you would prefer, actually. That location is very business-oriented, that's all, which affects the nearby restaurants, etc. It's pretty hectic around there, also, being the intersection of some big streets. Of course you can stay nearby not right at that circle. There are some good gourmet food stores there.

It depends where you are going as to best method, like any city. Metro is good if you don't want to walk as far as the trip is, you are no doubt going to have to use it sometime as you can't only go to things within walking distance. The buses can be good, but depends on the line and how much time you have and where you are going, again.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Hi Sunsind86,

I love taking the busses in Paris and avoid the metro whenever possible. You can end up walking long distance on the metro, especially if you need change from one line to another.

The busses, of course, give you better scenery, though they can be slow. It's always helpful to study which bus lines are close to your hotel/apartment and to see where those lines go. You can do this easily using Paris' transit online site

www.ratp.fr

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:44 AM

I really like this discussion of Paris arrondisments
http://www.slowtrav.com/france/paris...dissements.htm
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:09 AM

I'm not fond of the Madeleine area, as it's mostly business-oriented and lacks the "flavor" of many other areas. Who told you that was where you should stay? It's not a bad area, at all, and is certainly well-situated for transportation options, it just isn't particularly appealing, and so much of Paris IS.

Apart from walking, which is my favorite way to see Paris, the métro and buses are great, and cheap.

There are no not-to-miss sights. There is such a cornucopia of things to enjoy in Paris that you should hunker down over a few guidebooks and pick out what appeals to you (not us).
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:37 AM

I once stayed on Blvd. Haussmann, close to the Opera and the Madeleine, the Grand Magasines, and so on. It was great for transportation, could walk to a lot of places, the stores, Passages Joffrey and Panarama, quite a few restaurants and cafes, and absolutely not a bit of Paris charm.

So, JMHO, you might want to check around since it's your anniversary. You might want it to be a little more special.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 03:51 PM

I love the area around the Madeleine for shopping but not sure I would want to stay right there. Is there an apartment or hotel you are considering? We did stay at Le Grand (intercontinental) near the Opera several years ago...very nice and not far from Madeleine. We prefer the left bank but Paris is full of great neighborhoods to stay in.

I tend to use the Metro more than busses but you do get the scenery with busses. They are also easy to use... The public transportation in Paris is terrific and I would look for a hotel that is close to a metro station.

As far as what to see...I wouldn't go to any museum because I am afraid of missing something others like or enjoy. Part of the fun of Paris is sitting in a cafe and people watching.

Sainte Chappelle is beautiful, especially if you get a sunny day that highlights the stained glass. Climbing the towers of Notre Dame will get you a great view of the city and a close up look at the gargoyles. I am not a fan of the Louvre...not really my favorite art and it is massive. If you go, do your homework before and have a plan of what you want to see. Museums for me---d'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Rodin and Marmottan are my favorites. Smaller (except D'Orsay), less crowded....take a look at them. If you are into fashion, the original Chanel boutique on rue Cambon is a favorite for me (maybe you can pick up a little 10th anniversary gift)! I also loved St Denis.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 04:01 PM

One more thing...check Paris by Mouth for their food tours. We did the St Germain tour last year and really enjoyed it. Something to do besides the typical sites! They also have great restaurant info on their site.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Paris is very subjective; it is also fairly easy to get around. I have stayed in the 6th, 5th and 7th Arrondissements - all on the Left Bank. My favorite by far was the 7th, very close to the Eiffel Tower, wonderful street stands, bakeries and the very "French" grocery/deli type shop where rotisserie chicken is spinning in the window.

Its a good idea to get a Museum Pass. You mention you're not into Art, but the Pass covers at least 50 attractions and the ability to skip the lines make it totally worthwhile.

A wonderful splurge for your anniversary dinner might be Jules Verne in the Eiffel tower. The view, the meal and the service is unmatched - but none of this comes cheap! Ultra expensive.

I love the Metro, as a New Yorker, I find the comparison and contrast to the NY Subway quite amusing.

Take a walk through Jardin des Tuileries and Jardin du Luxomburg - stunning.

Versailles is only a train ride away. Truly not to be missed (IMO)
And this, of course, is only the tip of the suggestions.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks so much for your responses. I realised as I sent this out that this was going to be an intensely subjective choice but your opinions help a great deal.

Jubilada - that link was excellent. I'm now leaning toward either the 5th or 7th arr as base.

Christina / StCirq - thanks for the heads up on Madelaine. Didn't realise it was more a Cbd than something with character...thanks crefloors we def want something a bit special.

Buses work great swandav and we're happy walking around too.

Ladylyn thanks for the tip on the museum pass. I think we'd much prefer a 'cute' Parisian street cafe and people watch than JulesVerne! But the Paris by mouth tours sound exciting. We might be up for that. Will look it up.

The Chanel store sounds dangerous denisea tho I have a fair idea we might 'accidentally' land up right there.

Right now my list contains Eiffel arc de tri, lux, Rodin, and Notre dame.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Here's a really fun place to enjoy the food and people watch as well. La Cigale Récamier in the 7th specialty is souffle - savory and sweet. Not too expensive, but its a good idea to have reservations.
You can have a three course meal of souffles!
The Cigale Récamier is at 4 rue Récamier in the 7th.

Bofinger is a traditional Brasserie ( beautiful stained glass ceiling) is in the 4th. Good food, great ambiance, decent prices.
5-7 rue de la Bastille 75004
Google both- there's plenty of info and photos.

There are a couple of other tiny great places in the 7th - I'll post when I remember their names.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:12 PM

One of the street coming from la Madeleine is full of sex shops and some nice ladies are parked there once evening sets in.

Also please be aware that the intial SS are quite infamous in Europe and hurt the sensibilty of some guys old enough to remember the crimes committed by these SchutzStaffeln.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks Ladylyn. Will check out both.