38 Days In Europe.

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38 Days In Europe.

My boyfriend and I are planning a 38 day trip around Europe traveling only by planes, trains and buses. We will not be renting a car. The countries that we are going to are:

Netherlands - Amsterdam
Spain - Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona
Croatia - Dubrovnik, Split, Togir, etc.
Germany - Munich etc.

The Netherlands and Croatia were the easiest to make itineraries for as we are simply only staying in Amsterdam for 4 nights and not planning to do any large excursions. (If you do have any small go to's I would LOVE to hear some feed back that is not from a Top 10 list on a website.)
And Croatia was even simpler to plan out, as I have been there many times (my boyfriends hasn't) and we will be staying with my grandmother.

Basically the reason I am posting this forum is to learn a little more about Spain and Germany.
We have 12 nights in Spain and the cities we have picked are Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona.
And we have 7 nights in Germany, only Munich has been picked for a city - I would like to add 1 or 2 more to that itinerary.

For each city I am trying to learn,

1: What are some less well know attractions? I have been all over the Top 10 and touristy websites, so I'm good on those.

2: We enjoy the Night life (we're both in our 20's), so which clubs/bars or events are always a good time?

3: Food and Alcohol! I would love to know some dishes or specialty drinks I should look out for when in each city. (I know Munich is all about the beer!)

4: Hikes and excursions! I want to plan 2-3 large excursions for us to do. If thats a music festival, zip lining, jet skiing, hike to the tope of a breath taking view, you name it! I am ready to hear your ideas. Which is the best place and the best activity to do (including Croatia and Netherlands as well)

Thank you so much to any of you who do respond! You don't have to answer all of my questions, anything will help.

Kind regards,

Stef.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 11:45 PM
kja

"I have been all over the Top 10 and touristy websites, so I'm good on those."

I'm sure you realize that these sources really only cover the very top (meaning most touristed) places. Any one can come up with the "top 10" for any place, whether the place has 40 worthy things to see / do or only 4! The good news: each of the places you mention has, IME, at least 10 worthy things to see or experience. The bad news, most of them have way way way way WAY more! So my advice is: go to a library and consult some decent guidebooks.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:27 AM

How are you getting from country to country? Rail, bus, plane? Be sure to include travel times.

For seven nights in Germany, two in Munich, two in Nuremberg (which includes a day trip to either Rothenburg ob der Tauber or Bamberg), and three in Berlin should get you a feel for things. If you want to devote a day to hiking, I suggest that while you are in Nuremberg that you hop on a train and head into the Fränkische Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland) for the Aufseß Bierwanderung (beer hike). It is a 14km hike that hits four local breweries: http://www.naturerlebnis-fs.de/bier_...g_aufsess.html (note the days that the breweries are closed).

For clubs and such, you are really better off asking either once you arrive, asking on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, or 4chan /trv/ as the majority of members on Fodors seem to be either in their "Golden Years" or well on their way there.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 12:35 AM

If you want music festivals, it would be helpful to know your travel dates -- you might get lucky and be in Germany for either Rock im Park or Rock am Ring, be in Spain for Primavera Sound 2016 or Azkena Rock Festival, in Croatia for Hideout, or The Netherlands for Defqon.1 2016.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 02:42 AM

We loved Garmisch Partenkirchen, where you can do some hiking. It is about 2 hours drive from Muenchen - I Imagine there are trains.

Germany has more than beer, it also has Sauerkraut !
Und Schnaps.

Good idea about festivals. Lots of music in Germany. For nightlife, I heard that Berlin was excellent.

But yes, I'm not into nightlife anymore (well, I've never been, but I wouldn't be in it anymore).
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sparkchaser the hike/brewery tour sounds perfect! Definitely exactly what we were looking for.

We are taking a planes country to country, and then train/busing around when we are landed.

Thank you everyone else as well for responding with advice on where to look for information!