Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Palacio Murat or Villa Franca in Positano

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I along with our 2 Years old baby boy are considering staying in any of those hotels in May /June 2011 for 10 days.
Since it is a long time, we want to make sure we have the right hotel.
Anyone who can assist please?
Please bear in mind that we prefer modern style (flat LCD...etc), clean bright rooms...Also we will have our baby stroller or pram....
Thanks in advance on any feedback...also suggestions are welcome...4 stars hotel...modern design...clean rooms.
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM

www.booking.com/hotel/it/palazzo-murat.pt.html

Best of those 2 for me.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:09 AM

The Murat is easily the better hotel and quite convenient. I would look at Buca di Bacco as well---on the beach and very nice.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM

We've stayed at the Murat on 3 different occasions - very nice. Don't know the other hotel.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:45 AM

I haven't stayed at either, but a few years ago we spent a week in an apartment right above Villa Franca. We really liked that location, as it is high up on the hill, has terrific views and is a bit away from the tourist center. But...I don't think I'd pick that location if traveling with a baby/stroller. Even though the hotel offers a "free shuttle" (whatever that means), I think it would be cumbersome and tiring to go up and down from there repeatedly with a stroller and gear. I'd look lower down in town where you can come and go from the hotel easily, as needed.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated.
Stu,
Thank a lot...am happy you can give answers about this area as well...I am lucky to benefit from your patience and thorough answers...
This is about the same trip in May/June...My husband said he can take 3 weeks instead of 2 so I was thinking: 1 week luberon, 1 week portofino and 1 week positano! We also might go early May in order to avoid the higher hotel prices in June! The only problem now is to sort out the order of places and connection (car hire, trains,...etc)...
Maybe am optimistic so any advice is welcome!
Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM

>>1 week luberon, 1 week portofino and 1 week positano!,,

If this was my 3 week vacation, I would pick 2 weeks in Provence in a gite (getting late to reserve one), 4 nights Positano, and 4 nights in the Tuscany countryside. I'm not a big fan of Portofino.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Stu,
My husband likes your suggestions! I am in the research phase now...I always wanted to see portofino and take it as a base to hike to the cinq terre..that is why I have chosen it but as I said...nothing is confirmed as I am still doing my research about hotels, connecting trains, weather conditions, .....etc...
Many thanks for your suggestions...this means that we need to really have more time in the luberon area..I know it is rich and one week is not enough..let me see what I will do...I emailed europe hotel in Avignon...I am also checking hotel prices earlier in May..will definately come back with soome questions...
Many thanks