Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are these positano hotles in walking distance and can you give feedback on my options?

Search

Are these positano hotles in walking distance and can you give feedback on my options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting married in Positano and will be having about 15 guests. All of them have completely different ideas about how much money to spend on a hotel. I have been looking into some myself and would love any feedback I can get. I've been reading all the posts and am still incredibly confused. I also want to make sure that all of these hotels are close enough to each other so that on the big day we wont have any trouble getting together with family. I know that my mom will want an inexpensive hotel, so she will be going back and forth from my hotel to hers on the days leading up to the wedding. Here are my interests:
Hotle Marincanto
Villa Rosa
Miramare
Villa Franca
Covo dei saraceni (this is where our reception is)

I think Villa Rosa is the least expensive so my mother will probably be there, but my fiance and I want something really nice and luxurious...just not quite as expensive as Le sirenuse. What should we do so that we get a great hotel but don't end up running back and forth to moms hotel?
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Villa Rosa is on the opposite side of town from Miramare, so I think that would make Miramare inconvenient given your preferences... Too bad, though -- stayed in Miramare 2 yrs ago and it was fantastic!!!

Have you considered Ancora? A friend honeymooned there and really enjoyed it. It was close to Sirenuse...and I believe it is also more conveniently located to Villa Rosa.

As a bride, I would lean towards staying in my reception hotel -- would be incredibly convenient for anything you may need during your celebration!

Congrats and have fun planning!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Look at Villa La Tartana closer to Covo and well priced. Villa Rosa is upper right, Covo is lower left--looking from the water. Also look at Palazzo Murat, but more $.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
awbaker

I stayed at Albergo Miramare, but walked through Villa Rosa and the Marincanto. All of them are very nice. The suites on the Marincanto website look fantastic!!

The Miramare is right above Covo, so that would be quite convenient. If you stay there, try to get room 310 or 209. I stayed in room 203 which I can also recommend (fantastic terrace!), but it is a smaller room than the before-mentioned. The Miramare is a great hotel with amazing views. Palazzo Murat is their sister hotel -- a more luxurious hotel but not with as great views as the Miramare. Still, this gets wonderful reviews and it is not as pricey as Le Sirenuse. Their courtyard restaurant would also be a wonderful place for the reception OR rehearsal dinner.

Also, take a look at the Poseidon for your hotel -- we had drinks on their terrace by the pool and it was lovely!

Positano is a small town, so all would be convenient to walk to from the Covo (except Villa Franca.) I agree that your mother should consider Villa La Tartana -- it is the sister hotel of Villa Rosa and seems to also get great reviews. Prices seem to be comparable, but it is much closer to the beach and to the Covo.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Should I consider Villa Tartina myself or is the Miramare way better for our wedding/honeymoon? I still love the Marincanto. (I have this picture in my mind of us hanging out in the private jacuzzi overlooking the water--it seems very romantic). But, if it is inconvenient because my reception at the covo is too far, I may have to let go of that picture. When you say that this is on the other side, how far away is it?
The covo dei saraceni is nice but for the $$ we'd prefer Marinacanto, unless someone here can give me some input on the covo.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Palazzo Murat is really close to the Covo and would get my vote, because it's convenient to the beach, but up a pretty path, beautiful on the inside and just plain Positano magical.

We stayed at the Tartana and absolutely loved the huge 2 room suite that looked out on the water, but the bathroom was small and the walk up the stairs (no elevator) a workout. Tartana is REALLY close to Covo.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:27 AM
ira

Hi mc,

Go to www.mappy.com.
Click "routes"

Enter the address of your hotel as the starting point and those of the other hotels as terminus.

Change "express" to "pedestrian"

Keep in mind that Positano is pretty near vertical. The farther away from the beach, the higher the elevation.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:55 AM

L'ancora is the "sister hotel" to the Covo dei Saraceni and shares its pool and restaurant facilities. It is situated next door to Sirenuse and has the same view. It doesn't have its own pool, but does have a shuttle into town and to the Covo. We didn't go in on our last visit to Positano, but their website pictures beautiful rooms, and 2 "special suites" that have a huge jacuzzi outside on the terrace. You may want to look here, particularly since your reception is at Covo- they may be inclined to give you a special deal or something.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I also agree with Villa La Tartana being a good choice for a more moderate hotel with good location. It is only a few min walk down the hill to Covo Dei Sarceni. I don't recall where the other hotels were off hand except the Murat. That is also a good locatation. We also got married in Positano and stayed at Villa La Tartana for our honeymoon. It was simple, but the view was AMAZING and the service was wonderful. Good luck!