Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paging AnselmAdorne or anyone else who knows rue des Petits Champs

Mar 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

We're planning a family trip next spring and have found an apartment on rue des Petits Champs that seems to fit our needs. (We're 5 adults who need a flat that doesn't cost a fortune with good sleeping configuration and more than 1 WC.) While I see that it's a convenient location for first timers (some of our group) as well the Paris addicts among us, I'm interested to know more about the area than I can find on Pages Jaunes. Are there good restos in strolling distance - or will we constantly be returning from dinner by taxi? Is the neighborhood too busy or commercial? Will the two college grads (it's a celebration trip) find nightlife nearby? --or will we all wish we had stayed in another arrondissement? Any insights on this neighborhood would be appreciated. Thanks everyone. EJ
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I'm about a week away from posting our trip report, but I'd be happy to tell you a bit about rue des Petits Champs.

I suspect you're looking at the same apartment we just stayed in? http://preview.tinyurl.com/y3kzl9 If so, you will be delighted. It is large, beautifully decorated, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. There is a study off the living room that can be closed off with sliding doors. The couch in the study folds out to make a bed. The owner is great to deal with. As a matter of fact, we have booked the flat again for Christmas.

The flat is about one block east of avenue de l'Opéra. There is a lot of daytime traffic on rue des Petits Champs but the apartment is on on upper floor and the doors onto the balcony fit very tightly. The two bedrooms are on an inner courtyard, so they are extremely quiet; the study overlooks the street. There seemed to be very little traffic late in the evening, so I don't think anyone sleeping in the study would have any problems.

There are lots of good restaurants in the immediate area, although we tended to take the Metro to more distant parts of Paris. Willi's Wine Bar, for example, is within crawling distance of the apartment, and the Restaurant du Palais-Royal is not much further. If you look at the Michelin Red Guide or Time Out's Eating and Drinking Guide, you'll find there are good suggestions for the 1st arrondissement.

The bakery across the street from the apartment is excellent; there is also a Paul on avenue de l'Opéra. There is a Monoprix next to the Paul where you can pick up milk, youghurt, etc, and a market every Wednesday and Saturday in Place du Marché St-Honoré. Your nearest Metro stops are Pyramides and Opéra.

The area is unquestionably commercial, but not in a dull or disappointing way. You are a ten minute walk from the Louvre and Opéra; the beautiful Palais-Royal is even closer.

Night life .. I'm not at all sure. We had two 22-year olds with us who aimed to party but they put so much energy into daytime activities that they didn't venture out after we returned home from dinner. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

Anselm
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I agree it's commercial but not unpleasant or run-down. Macéo is on that street, along with a bunch of Asian restaurants. You definitely won't need to use taxis.
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

AA & St.Cirq: Thanks so much for your comments. This is why I love this board - near instant gratification on my favorite subject, Paris. I'll be anxiously awaiting your trip report, AnselmAdorne, for it is indeed the same flat that's caught my eye. It looks quiet lovely. Funny, but our 20-somethings will probably "crash" quite like yours. Thanks again for your input. I'll look forward to reading your trip report. EJ
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM

you also have the covered passage "gallerie vivienne" nearby with a nice tea shop and boutiques, as well as the restaurant le vefour across a few streets in the arcade at comdedie francais.

also le gran colbert is around the corner from g. vivienne... i love this neighborhood. we were nearby last january. good buses up opera .

you can walk to so many places.
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM

lincasanova, I forgot about the passages. Passage Choiseul is also very close.

EJ, the owners of the apartment list it on another site with a couple more photographs: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ys5l3e

AA
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Anselm, Thanks once again for your wonderful trip report. It was a great read and your photos were beautiful. We have finalized our plans and will be renting this flat for a family vacation for a week in May `08. Your glowing review made my decision that much easier. Merci mille fois, EJ
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Delighted to help, elsiejune. By coincidence, I am just back from the post office where I mailed off our signed rental agreement and damage deposit cheque for that apartment at Christmas.

Anselm