Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have fodorites stayed at this Marais apt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I SWEAR this is the last time I ask. My travel dates changed and this studio on rue de saintonge is now available at a very reduced rate. I love that there's a tiny balcony and it sounds like there are surrounding shops.

http://www.vrbo.com/28993

The original one I wanted was on Rue du Petit Musc but I'm waiting for her email to confirm availability for the modified dates. If not, I guess there's no decision to make.

http://tinyurl.com/ykfbwh

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Ooooh Fishee, you owe us a trip report BIG TIME. I don't know the apartment itself, but it sure looks cute, colorful without looking gaudy. The real bed is a plus, providing it is comfortable. I liked that the owner said that they would help you when you stayed in 'their place'. Most say 'your apartment, your kitchen etc..'

Apparently the reduced price is a good deal, IF the apartment matches it's description.

Nina
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Don't I know it -- I'll now be wandering around Paris trying to get into any sort of mishap, problem, or adventure relating to lost luggage, absurd miscommunications, falling into the Seine, maybe a quick anonymous affair with a depressed and despondent man who I later realize was Jacques Chirac. Anything that might be of potential entertainment value for the board -- I'm resigned to give myself over.

The owners of the first studio live in the building so they're right there if any problems arise. I'm a total sucker for rustic wood beams and crap like that though, so I do find the Petit Musc to be charming although still no word from the agent, yet. (who must want to strangle me by now.) She'll need to take a number, though.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Here's how they described location in their email to me -- is this good?

"Our place is in the north of the Marais area (3d district ), rue de
SAINTONGE, a quiet street. The nearest metro is "Filles du Calvaire "
(strange name....) or "République", and you also have buses...
It will take you 10minutes walk from the appartment to Place des Vosges, rue
de Rivoli...(also there is a direct bus from our place to Place des Vosges,
Rivoli, Chatelet, Saint Germain...)
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:32 AM

I have walked by that area and the street is long and narrow and pretty nondescript if I remember correctly. I would go for the rue du petit music if you could. The area is closer to the river and the Bastille and rue ste. antoine, ile st. louis, etc. Near St. Paul metro and Bastille metro and walkable to many places.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:54 AM

The old standby for photos is www.pagesjaunes.fr.

This is within a few hundred yards of the rather chichi shops on rue des France-Bourgeois, but in itself it's a fairly typical Marais street with a fair number of offices and studios - probably not too dissimilar in "feel" from rue du Petit Musc, though probably quieter. There are several cafés and restaurants on rue de Saintonge itself as well as on the main roads it crosses. It is about a quarter of a mile from the metro (as elsewhere in Paris the name comes from the street it's on, which is presumably named from a nunnery that would have been in the area), and there are fewer options than near Bastille; but yes, the 96 bus runs from pretty close by, down through the Marais to the Latin Quarter.

Personally I'd be happy with it. Petit Musc is a bit closer to more transport options, but possibly a bit noisier. But in Paris that isn't saying much.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think Jacques Chirac is ever despondent or depressed. Nor, I suspect, would he need to be to have an affair with someone....!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Like PatrickLondon, I could be happy here, too. The location is far off the beaten tourist path that it should be rather calm but convenient to public transport and within a reasonable stroll of many things. The area itself is not luxurious but neither is it outright seedy or unsafe. The space looks fine, not cavernoous by any means but has what you would need.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:22 AM

fishee, I think I prefer this place to the one on rue du Petit Musc. It just looks a bit more inviting to me.

Anselm
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Both are available. Saintonge is 350 and Petit Musc is 300 Euro (for 5 nights) -- difference in cost is negligible to me.

Sounds like most are saying I should take Saintonge? I promised I'd paypal either one tomorrow morning, just purchased tickets right now. thanks for the input and comments.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Saintonge looks smaller, but brighter, being on the 5th floor. Personally, light makes an enormous difference to me and it would be a no brainer. It also, at least from the photos, looks better cared for. The street is perfectly fine and you might find the area very interesting. That part of Paris is becoming very hip and has lots of galleries, cafés, shops, etc.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Tomorrow at this time it will be a done deal - apartment-wise and you can sit back and relax. If you are like me, you'll continue to compare the pictures and waffle back and forth mentally to see if you made the right choice DON'T DO THAT ... (do as I say and not as I do!)

What are your dates? We'll be there Dec. 23 - Jan. 5.

I hope Jacques is discret about your affair, we'd rather hear about it from you.

Nina
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM

To be honest, I like the one on Saintonge better. It just looks nicer in the photos (brighter, better decorated). I'm not clear on how big the one on Petit Musc is, but I'm sure it's probably about the same or smaller size. For me, it would be a no-brainer because one has a real bed and one does not. It just looks nicer, also, although I think both are okay and both areas won't be too different. I think transportation will be a bit better at the Petit Musc as you are near place Bastille and a lot of lines go through there, and buses. That street (Filles du Calvaire) is named after a convent that was there, between that street and rue du Pont-aux-Choux, according to the Dictionnaire Historique des Rues de Paris.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your advice,

the location of petit musc does look more convenient to public transporation but I'm hoping that even though the Filles Du Calvaire Metro station isn't a main line, it's close enough and I can transfer to wherever I need to go.

My main concern is that the Saintonge studio is in too quiet of an area (I like lots of bustling, commercial activity) but I think I'll go with this one anyway. thanks again!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM

fishee, given your preference for bustling commercial areas, it looks like your choice of rue de Saintonge is the right one. Rue du Petit Musc is pretty quiet and quite uncommercial from Quai des Célestins right up almost to rue St-Antoine. All that changes around Bastille, of course, but I found Petit Musc pretty sleepy the time I walked its length.

Anselm
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

thanks again, everyone. I've written a check for the Saintonge -- he's willing to accept a $100 USD check for deposit, will accept payment in Euro when I arrive -- incredibly convenient!

PL -- the pagesjaune site is so cool! I hope it's a higher street number so I don't have to walk too far down the street to the boulangerie and cafe in the morning.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM

fishee,
We'll be renting an apartment in the Marais just before Christmas (www.vrbo.com/19130) and I had a lot of fun looking at it on Google Earth. Depending on the quality of the image (they seem to vary) you can get a good idea of the neighborhood. For instance, the image of my own house is so good I can see my forsythia blooming and can just about see in my window.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM

rosetravels, we looked at that apartment for a week in February and finally decided we didn't want to face the stairs. I know, we're wimps, but that's what it came down to. It seems in all other respects perfect.

Anselm
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

We thought about all those stairs as well Anselm, discussed with the whole family. We're all fit and I decided the stairs add up to more pastries pour moi.

I'll be sure to let people know how it was as there seems to be so little information about apartments from people who've stayed there.

What apartment did you book?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:41 PM

"... more pastries pour moi."

An excellent rationalization, LOL. I must remember that for some future adventure.

We haven't booked yet. There will be four of us: my wife and I, plus our daugther and her man. We are looking for two bedrooms and two bathrooms, which is why the place you choose made our initial list. We thought "the kids" would love the ladder to the loft.

We're now drooling over an apartment on blvd Henri IV (that's code for: it's expensive!), and a couple of apartments near Palais Royale.

I love this part of the trip planning. We have our airline tickets, all we need to do now is to find the right apartment.

Anselm
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM

AnselmAdorne,
I'm betting that that's the same apartment that I'm renting in January!

Yes, it was a splurge, but it looks so nice, and the owner seems great to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -