Paris Apt in 6th - which one to choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm down to these two apartments in 6th. Both are about the same price and square footage. So it's down to location, location, location. One is on rue de l’Abbé Grégoire, the other one is Rue Jacob.

Can someone familiar with the area give me some pointers as to convenient to metro/bus stops, restaurants and shops?

Merci.

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Oops, here is the links:
Rue Jocob:
http://www.athomeinfrance.com/ah16.htm

Rue de l’Abbé Grégoire
http://www.francehomestyle.com/prope...p;prop=P6_0152
http://www.piedaparis.com/home_pied_a_paris.htm
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hi Carcassone, they all look fine, but the one on Rue Jacob looks kind of modern and lacks the typical French feel that I would be looking for. The other two look fabulous and are close to where we stayed in an apartment on Rue du Cherche Midi which was a great location. The information on the websites for the apartments covers all the info re transport etc. Other posters will be able to help with restaurants, but because we were in an apartment we often went to Le Bon Marche food hall and picked up something for dinner. Not cheap, but easy when we were tired. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM

I love Rue Jacob,very central, great block, close to everything, but, I don't care for that apartment. It looks kind of thrown together.
I love the second one which is really only about 5 mins away from Rue Jacob. It might have said it was on the 4th floor, without elevator, if that is an issue. I also like that the bedroom is at the opposite end of the living room just in case someone is sleeping and someone isn't. It is also a great shopping, eating and drinking area.
If it were my choice I would take the second one, hands down.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your opinions. You're both right that the 1st one on Rue Jacob is a bit cluttered.

cathies, the two bottom links shows the same apartment, our 2nd choice, on Rue de l’Abbé Grégoire. I'm glad to hear you stayed close by and had a good experience. Not knowing the area, my concern is that it may be too quiet or residential. With 2 teenagers, we found it much easier if we are surrounded by good restaurants and shops. Which is why I thought Rue Jacob may be livelier.

As for the apartments themselves, I do prefer the one on Rue de l’Abbé Grégoire, with its 2nd bedroom and bunk beds for the kids, then we wouldn't have to use the sofa bed as a bed at all.

Perhaps other Paris experts can comment on the restaurants/shops around Rue de l’Abbé Grégoire.

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM

I think I would prefer the 2nd for the reasons you've mentioned:
- extra room with teenagers primariliy
- decor

Are they any different with regard to:
- washer / dryer ? (cuts down on what you carry)
- elevator access ? (carrying those bottles of water and wine gets old up many flights)
- internet access ?
- cable tv ? (French vs. Int'l)
- payment terms ? (credit card/check vs. cash on site ?)

Having said all that, we used At Home in France and they were wonderful! I recommend them to anyone.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

surfmom, these are all very good points to consider, thanks.

Here is a google map to the 2 apartments:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...;z=15&om=0

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:48 AM

For lacation I would have definitely picked the rue Jacob apt. We have always stayed on rue Jacob , for at least 20 trips, and find it excellent.

But with 4 people I'd definitely go for the 2 bedroom. I was excited that you'd found something on Jacob since we were looking for an apt. for our next trip and want to be as close to there as possible. Then I saw it was a 4th fl walkup , blast!