Search

Where in Europe with a 1 year old?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Europe with a 1 year old?

Hi,
We're about to move to London for my husband's work for the next 2-3 years. We've always been avid travelers so definately want to use this opportunity to travel around Europe as much as possible. However, we're now very proud parents of a very active 1 year old boy. We'd like to take him on our trips as much as possible. We might also have a nanny traveling with us so that we can go on day trips and leave our son with her during a day. Safety and proximity to the good medical care in case of (G-d forbid) any emergancy is very important to us when traveling with our child. What places in Europe would you recommend for this kind of traveling and what places you would definately suggest we stay away from?

Thank you very much!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Spain , Protugal, Madeira, Greece, Itay
They just love children family life is very importanat to them.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM

Denmark is one of the most child-centric places I have visited. There is so much for families to enjoy, number one being the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Denmark is not one of the top European destinations for Americans, but it is an incredible country with wonderful people!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
nbujic

Western Europe .
I would stay away from all former Communist countries.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM

"I would stay away from all former Communist countries."

Well, I would not. There nothing wrong in their health care. So called western Europeans nowadays often go to former communist countries to have their teeth fixed or to have surgery.

Anuta, maybe you leave out Moldova, but otherwise choose whatever you like in Europe, your baby will fine.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM

I agree with above; almost all European countries (even the former communist ones) have good medical care etc.

A very child-friendy island is Menorca (off the coast from Spain in the Mediterranean). The Scandinavian are also very child-friendly.

A lot of European families also visit holiday villages as www.centerparcs.com. Mostly in nice surroundings and very, very child friendly. It is not very adventurous though.... IMHO; I like it for my 1 year old boy!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Hi, welcome to London!

1) Your destinations would depend greatly on the season/weather. You don't want to go to Greece islands in the middle of the summer, for example.

Are you thinking of long holidays (in Europe meaning 10days-2wks) or brief visits? Many people take weekend trips (City breaks), though it gets quite hectic with your young one. Try to make it a 2 night/3 day trip so you get to enjoy the place. Also your child is still young so your holiday is not restricted by the school holiday schedule. Avoid half terms for less crowd and better value.

2) Travel time--from London, most European destinations are 2-3hr flying distance. You may want to bear in mind budget airlines tend to use airports further away from city centre.

3) Healthcare--when you get settled in London (which involves getting NHS cards and choosing a GP), apply for E111 cards. This will entitle you to receive reciprocal medical care in most EU countries.

As for actual suggestions, we have done Netherlands, Paris, Cote d'Azure, Brussels, Spain (Costa del Sol), Portugal (Oporto), Switzerland, Budapest, Prague with baby/toddlers. All were fairly easy to organise. (Though we usually do not take our nanny with us. Sometimes I get a baby-sitting service through a hotel.) The only city destination I would be hesitent to travel with a young child is Venice, because of its steps/bridges, which makes it hard to navigate with a buggy.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

First of all, thank you all so much for replying. I did find a remark about staying away from the former Communist coutries interesting. Both my husband and I are actually from those countries, Latvia (him) and Ukraine (me)I would not hesitate going to Latvia with my child. However, I am on a fence about the Ukraine... Also, what's you take on Moscow? My husband will going there often for bussiness and we might tag along... Another former Communist country that we'd like to visit (I've been and loved it and my husband never been to) is Checzh Republic. My parents also want to go there for a vacation (Karlovi Vari) and told us they would take our baby with them if we'd let them (they're amazing this way) Would you consider it a safe choice with a 1 yo?

Thank you!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:17 AM

I have been to a spa in Karlovy Vary when Checzh R was still a "communist country". It was great also then, so I imagine it is even better nowadays when all updatings and renovations have been done.

So sure it is safe for a one-year-old as long as your parents keep him away from spasī pools.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One of my German friends had some skin disease and went to Hungary where they put you in those pools for the fish to chew on you. He came back all pink and smooth, he said...

That's my take on the remark about "former communist countries."
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
nbujic

Lived in and visited former communist countries. Had family members in hospitals there.
A question for those who feel " there is no difference" between the East and West when it comes to medical care:
would you have your child treated for an emergency in Bucharest rather than Copenhagen?

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I was quite happy with the American Medical Center in Moscow.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Luxembourg. An easy weekend trip from London with tons of wonderful parks for kids. My children love going. They are now 8 and 3, but we have been going there to see my mom for four years. It is a country that is often over looked and is perfect for kids.