Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight train arriving in Paris on day of departure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking an overnight train from Spain into Paris, scheduled to arrive at Austerlitz at 8:35 a.m. on a weekday, and I have a 2:30 p.m. flight out of CDG. I was planning to arrive in Paris on my day of departure and walk over to the Gare de Lyon to take the Air France bus to CDG. But I saw a couple of posts on this topic, suggesting that was a bit risky. I'd appreciate some opinions on my plan. I know this is one of those "playing the odds" kind of thing, so there's no right answer. And if you do think I should stay in town, can you recommend a reasonable hotel in a nice neighborhood near the Gare de Lyon where I would also be able to do my last minute gift shopping? Many thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
ira

Hi L,

One of my travel axioms is to stay in the departure town the night before flying home.

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 124E dbl w/bkfst. Has AC

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

Shuttle from the hotel to CDG is about 17E.

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM

When I was younger and had more physical stamina in reserve (and perhaps fewer hard learned lessons) I would often do such a thing. But the truth is sleeping on overnight trains is not the best, so you begin your return flight already a bit fatigued. Unless there is something in Spain you really want/need to be there for on this last day, do consider spending your last night in Paris. A place near the RER B line is perfect for getting to CDG.
You might want to also check out some of the low cost airlines (www.whichbudget.com can help) to see if there are alternatives.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM

That seems enough time to me, except you don't know the area, it appears, so it may take you longer to do things. Why would you plan to walk from Gare Austerlitz to Gare de Lyon, across the river? Not a good idea.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Unless there is a strike by the railway workers I would stick to your plan and take the overnight train. Overnight trains are a great way to get around Europe and save time and money. I have no problem at all sleeping on a train. Bring some cheese, bread, and a bottle of Spanish wine aboard and enjoy the ride.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions, and as I suspected, people disagree. I have called the airlines and they told me that if I know ahead of time that I'm going to miss the plane, the thing to do is call and let them know and they'll put me on a later flight and that though they have the right to impose a $200 charge plus rebooking the ticket, that rarely happens. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's one agent's view at least.
Christina, you're right that I don't know Paris very well, but looking at a map, it seemed that it would be an easy walk from Austerlitz over to Gare de Lyon where the Air France bus leaves. Can you tell me why that's not a good idea? Thanks to all.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM

It would just be too far for me to want to walk, and of course there are some major streets and traffic problems around Gare Austerlitz. Then you have to walk across a bridge across the Seine. I think they just opened some pedestrian bridge across that part of the Seine in some area, but I'm not sure on the details. It's just kind of really built up with major highways around that area, but you could be right and it won't be a problem. I guess it isn't really that far, but I just wouldn't personally want to walk with luggage from my trip that far. I don't like roughing it, though. I guess you can walk across the CDG bridge. I assume you don't have much baggage.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM

You could take a city bus to the Gare de Lyon--lines 24, 57, 61 or 91.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Yes, opinions differ. If you sleep well on trains, I say go for it. You save a night in a hotel and have more daylight hours for sightseeing. And it's only a ten-minute walk from Gare d'Austerlitz to Gare de Lyon. Not a problem unless you'll have a lot of luggage.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM

It's actually an easy walk from Austerlitz to Lyon. When you come off the train you will want to exit to the right (the exit next to the Buffet de la Gare restaurant). You then walk out the front of Austerlitz, past the taxi stand and up the set of stairs. Look straight ahead and you will see the clock tower on top of the Gare de Lyon. Cross the bridge that is directly in front of you, walk one more block and you will find yourself on the side of the GDL. Turn to your left walk a short distance and take the first right. Now you are walking in front of the GDL. You will come upon the stand after you cross the car entrance to GDL.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

I am always amazed at how helpful people are on this forum. Thanks to everyonefor all the information. I actually much prefer to come into Paris on the day of my flight because that will give me another day of walking on the Camino de Santiago. I expect to arrive in Burgos, Spain the day befoer my plane leaves, have the afternoon there, and get on the 10 p.m. "Trenhotel" to Paris. It's good to know that, so long as the train is on time, logistics should not be a problem on flight day.
Christina, I will have only a small backpack of about 15 pounds and a tube with my hiking poles so I can check them at the airport (a post-9/11 requirement). So luggage weight won't be a problem.
MorganB -- thanks so much for the detailed walking instructions. One little question -- when you say I will come across the "stand" at the Gare de Lyon, do you mean the place where the airport bus stops? If anyone has taken this bus, can you confirm that departures are every half hour and the trip takes about an hour?
Thanks again so much.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:32 AM

According to www.adp.fr, the Aeroports de Paris site, the bus runs every 30 minutes and costs E12. It doesn't say how long the trip takes, but I've read other places that is about one hour.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My comment is not concerning the schedule (because I don't know) but if you can sleep well on both trains and planes?

Because I can't, the idea of a long overnight train ride immediately followed by a LONG plane ride makes me ill just thinkin' about it!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:49 AM

oh, well with that small amount even I might try it, that's pretty easy.

mappy.fr says it is about 850 meters.