Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Train Questions: Civitavecchia to Rome and Livorno to Florence

Mar 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi everybody

Well, apparently throwing a coin in the Trevi fountain works, because I'm going back to Rome!

I will be on a cruise from May 14-21. It leaves out of Barcelona and has stops in Sicily, Naples, Rome, Florence, and Villefranche before getting back to Barcelona.

The price of the shore excursions to get from the ship to Rome and Florence (and from Messina to Taormina, for that matter) are expensive, and being the Fodorite that I am, I'd rather do them on my own, anyway.

I guess my question is this. Can you go to the train station and buy roundtrip tickets for that day? Are the trains ever sold out? The times before when I have bought train tickets, I bought them a day or two before in advance.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure more questions will come up as I go along in my planning.

Johanna
Mar 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Firenze ("Florence") is inland. Your ship probably calls in Livorno.
From Livorno to Firenze or from Civitavecchia to Roma, there are trains every hour or so. Most of these trains do not have reserved seats so cannot "sell out": you just buy a ticket at the station and use it on any train (the tickets are valid two months from purchase but must be stamped before boarding the train). If it is an intercity train, you have to pay a higher fare. You can check schedules and fares on www.trenitalia.com.
Mar 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I've done both and here is the information I think you need to know:

the RR station in Civitavecchia is about a ten-minute walk from the entrance to the port area. Your cruise ship will undoubtedly be docked somewhat beyond the entrance. The going rate for transfers-only "excursions" from cruise ships into Rome seems to be $65+ per person these days. If you want to save money, don't do that or allow one of the many cabs at the dock to talk you into going all the way to Rome. (Some cruise lines actually offer a free transfer service to the port entrance).

There are frequent trains to and from Rome, and as Geoff has told you, you do not need reservations. Buy your tickets from the window at the RR station or from one of the machines. The o/w trip takes about an hour.

If you want to see the Vatican first, get off the train at the San Pietro stop instead of going all the way to Termini.

As to Livorno-Florence: the RR station in Livorno is NOT within walking distance of where your ship will dock. Take a taxi don't hassle yourself with trying to figure out how to get to the RR station on one of the busses.

All the trains departing Livorno to Florence either go through Pisa or you have to change in Pisa (easy to do) No reservations required. O/W Pisa-Florence is an hour.
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

Intrepid, since you have done this before, I'd like to ask you another question.

In both Civitavecchia and Livorno, the ship gets into port at 7:00am. What is the earliest time I can expect to get off the ship to head to the train station? Do the people who are taking shore excursions through the cruise line have priority? Or is it first come first serve? I'd like to get off the ship as early as possible to maximize my time in each city. I have emailed NCL with this question, but they are taking their time in getting back to me.

Thanks again,
Johanna
Mar 25th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I faced the same early morning departure problem last year on a cruise Dover-Stockholm when the boat stopped at various ports. My friend & I had early breakfasts departing the ship around 8.30am. We didn't consider taking a 'buffet' breakfast (i.e. not sitting down to partake b'fast) but next time around we will pack small Glad bags and pop a couple of breakfast items from the ship into these bags and be one of the first on board to depart. An hour over breakfast in the dining room is a very pleasant and relaxing experience, but not at the expense of having an extra hour plus at the port of call. Not everyone may agree, but is an alternative. Jay
ps. You can order early morning coffee in your cabin!!!
Mar 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM

On every cruise I have ever been on, in Europe, the Caribbean, etc., the same rule holds true: NOBODY will be allowed to leave the ship until the ship has been cleared by the local authorities.

Whereas the last time we were in Italy (on a cruise ship) there were several groups of folks who got off the ship right after it was cleared in order to get on the busses taking them on excursions. We, who were not on any organized tours that day, got off at the same time and were not prevented from doing so.

I would be prepared to disembark as soon as the announcement that the ship has been cleared is made. I somehow doubt anyone is going to stop you from getting off as soon as you wish to do so.
Apr 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM

We are going on the same trip in July. Please post how the trip went.
Also, since we will in each city a short time, whats the must do things in each?