Search

Ouibus from Chamonix to Geneva then train to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouibus from Chamonix to Geneva then train to Paris

Hello,

I need to travel to Paris from Chamonix on June 8. Some people suggest going through Geneva. That does sound promising. I tried to chart that route. You would take an Ouibus to Gare routière de Genève. About 2 hrs ride. Seems it is an easy walk from that bus station to Genève Cornavin (main train station). A direct train from there to Paris. Questions I have about this are:

1. Is TrainLine not showing this option because it goes through Switzerland (even though one would catch a TGV from Geneva to Paris)?
2. The Ouibus seems to be a relatively new SNCF subsidiary. Can I depend on the time schedule that is being shown by various transportation sites such as Trainline, and is the service reliable? If anyone has tried Ouibus on this leg, I would love to hear their experience of it.
3. We would have our passports for the border checks that I would expect going in/out of Switzerland; it's a quick walk from Geneva bus station to train station; and I would make the TGV train reservation in advance. All of which means I should not need any Swiss Francs. Are there any other considerations to crossing the border/going through Geneva to Paris?

(The conventional alternatives from Chamonix to Paris using bus/TER/Trains within France look pretty cumbersome/infrequent).

Thanks much for your help!
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 12:56 PM

I've never taken Ouibus so can't comment on its reliability.

Trainline doesn't list that option because SNCF doesn't list it, I imagine that's all it is. Trainline doesn't make up rail schedules but gets them from the rail companies. SNCF won't list that route either, although I think they do usually list Ouibus in their options. I don't know why but it's not listed.

As for trainline schedules, they are just going to list what they get, so it should be as reliable as the schedule from SNCF (or the Swiss one, sbb.ch). Both those list a TGV from Geneve to Paris at 11:41 am which I presume is the one you'd take (using bus from 7:45 - 10 am).

SNCF does show a shorter trip, with a bus from Chamonix to Bellegarde, then the TGV to Paris (total 6 hrs). I guess that's not a Ouibus, though. and it does go late in the day, leaving Chamonix at 15:45, arriving in Paris at 21:49.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 01:16 PM

SNCF does show a shorter trip, with a bus from Chamonix to Bellegarde, then the TGV to Paris (total 6 hrs).>

The quickest train only link I found recently took 5:15 hrs Chamonix to Paris- check www.bahn.de/en for schedules including Switzerland and checkwww.seat61.com for info on discounted tickets -other train sites I like for info- www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 02:55 PM

I don't understand why you don't start looking on the ouibus website? It shows that there are services from Chamonix Centre to Geneva Station at 07:45 (lvg from Chamonix-Sud = South at 07:55 - arr. Geneva Station 10:00), again at 10:45 (arr. 13:00), at 12:455 (arr. 15:00) and at 15:45 (arr. 18:00)

Then you go to SNCF or SBB (more reliable than the German website since the Germans are not involved in this route) and find you train from Geneva to Paris.

Presently the timetables at SNCF only go to June 7, but any day now the date of June 8 will be posted. Not too much will change if anything - right now for June 7 there are lots of good connections, like the superfast TGV Lyria at 11:41 that gets to Paris (Gare de Lyon) at 14:52

In a little while see what comes up for June 8, at http://www.sncf.com since that will be the company that will run your train. No need to trust a middle man or third party...
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Thank you for taking the trouble to look up the related schedules.

@Christina

"SNCF does show a shorter trip, with a bus from Chamonix to Bellegarde, then the TGV to Paris (total 6 hrs). I guess that's not a Ouibus, though. and it does go late in the day, leaving Chamonix at 15:45, arriving in Paris at 21:49."

Plus, the bus, after a 3 hour trip is scheduled to arrive just 20 mins. before the TGV departure. I think that is cutting it too close because of obvious uncertainties associated with road travel, especially when the road travel is that long. And that is the last TGV departure for that day -- so very risky, it seems.

Also, Christina, SNCF and therefore Trainline are showing the Ouibus schedule for that route AND allowing you to purchase Ouibus tickets. It's just that Trainline is not collating the Chamonix to Geneva Ouibus schedule with the train schedule so you may purchase the whole trip as one block. In short, you can purchase the two separately on Trainline.

@PalenQ

"The quickest train only link I found recently took 5:15 hrs Chamonix to Paris"

I will look at this more closely. I see routes that take 5:34 mins, but they have a 9 min connection time between bus and train which might not be making the Trainline cut-off for such things. Just speculating, I don't know -- I will look again. Thanks much for those other links. I am aware of seat61/ricksteves, but never tried budgeteuropetravel.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 03:55 PM

If this was my trip - I would worry a little about the weather in Chamonix in early June. We were there for a week in mid July last year, and we could not see the mountains for about 65% of the time.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nc-weather.cfm

I might plan a "contingency", with a bus or train to Annecy if the weather looks bad in Chamonix for several days. Then there are several direct trains from Annecy to Paris (we took one last year). On June 8, fares are now (maybe not tomorrow) anywhere from $22 to $30 per person. I would perhaps grab one of these trains & use it if I need to. You could even plan your trip from Chamonix to Paris to go through Annecy, and then decide at the last minute if you want to get to Annecy a few days early - and still use the tickets on the 8th from Annecy to Paris.

Just a thought!!

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Don't over-complicate.

Just go to www.trainline.eu or www.loco2.com

Book Chamonix to Paris by train.

No buses, no DIY connections or transfers, just one ticket, one price, Chamonix to Paris.

Plus you get to ride on the lovely narrow-gauge Chamonix-Mont Blanc Railway from Chamonix to St Gervais for the TGV to Paris, or on some departures, TER then TGV.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 11:30 AM

"The quickest train only link I found recently took 5:15 hrs Chamonix to Paris">

this comes from a dummy date on www.bahn.de/en - German Railways web site for all European trains- it was via Martigny and I think Lausanne so involves Swiss trains - probably no all-inclusive cheap ticket but regular fare to Lugano then TGV with discounts.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Just go to www.trainline.eu or www.loco2.com>

And why not just use the official site of the French Railways -www.voyages-sncf.com? Do the others have a fee? Can you print your own tickets or have to pick them up at a certain station?
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

@michelhuebeli:
"I don't understand why you don't start looking on the ouibus website?"

Yes, I did. I mean, all websites are selling ouibus tickets, just not as part of combined routes. So I was just trying to get a feel for the service.

@StuDudley:

I have to say, I have read a lot of your posts with great interest, and learned much from them. Your point about weather/cloudy conditions is noted. I will try to have contingencies in place. Right now, my plan is 2N in Lyon, 3N in Annecy, 5N in Chamonix, and last, 5N in Paris. I am wondering if I should have switched the order of Chamonix and Annecy. Would have made it easier to return to Paris. But I guess I wanted to get as deep into June as possible for Chamonix. Now it would be hard to switch, but I will look into it.

@Man_in_seat_61:

In going from Annecy to Chamonix I believe I will get to experience that narrow gauge train. But yes I agree, stitching together your own routes is rarely a good idea. It's hard to be smarter than these transportation websites. This is literally the first time in all my trips to Europe that I am even considering this. Such is the connectivity between Chamonix and Paris.

@PalenQ:
One way or the other I am going to Martigny, even if it is for a day trip. I hear, it is a beautiful trip. Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

@PalenQ:

Yes I use Trainline frequently for reservations to Europe. I do always take a look at the source websites too. E.g., I have always found the Austrian railways websites OEBB to be best for travel involving their trains. In the case of France, I think Trainline is much easier/cleaner to navigate, and certainly not anymore expensive than SNCF. Trainline doesn't have a fee. You can print the ticket at home, or show the ticket on your mobile device I believe.
I will take a look at www.loco2.com.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 05:22 AM

The only purpose of bus 49906 (Chamonix dp 15.45) is to bring people from Chamonix to TGV 9780 (Bellegarde dp 19.00). The scheduled journey time for 73 miles motorway (with 5 intermediate stops) is 2 hrs 55 min. It would be very strange if this bus would get late. And if it would, I suppose SNCF would either let wait a bit TGV 9780 (dp 19.00) or book the bus passengers to the next TGV 9784 leaving Bellegarde daily at 20.10 and arriving at Paris at 22.49.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 07:34 AM

Just to say that my son thought the Ouibus was great; one time, very comfortable, with wifi and charging stations.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 07:35 AM

'on time' not one time..