Other recommended Edinburgh lodging near Radisson Blu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Edinburgh in late June with friends who are attending a conference. Their conference lodging is at the Radisson Blu. I am considering staying there too but was surprised by the cost (@$350/night US) and want to explore other less expensive options close to the Radisson. I was hoping to find a nice hotel or B&B for $150/200 night US. I plan to check out online sites but also wanted to know if anyone who is familiar with Edinburgh might have some suggestions. Any feedback welcome!
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This is the second time tonight I've recommended the Fraser Suites -- approx £150 if you pre pay, which is over your budget but very worth it.

Otherwise try the Apex City and Apex International. Both in Old Town but a bit cheaper than Fraser Suites.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:59 PM

If you are definitely attending, try hotwire, last year I got the Caledonian a 5 star hotel for about $160 per night, you can use betterbidding.com to see what the hotel is likely to be
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM

Sounds VERY expensive for the Radisson - currently you can get a room from £110.

The Callie is a bit out of the way for the Blu so either of the Apexes, Jurys Inn or Ibis Edinburgh Centre - or if you can get a deal the Scotsman
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like that you have been quoted the rack rate for your stay. It's virtually certain that you can get a room for less than that, see:

www.lastminute.com
www.laterooms.com

Be aware that the rates will change up and down between now and June, so when you see rate you like, book it. alanrows's quoted rate is certainly within your budget.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 03:30 AM

I'm not too surprised that the rate at the Radisson was over £200 per night during late June when they have a block booking for a conference - though agreed, it's worth shopping around on other booking sites. We stayed there last September and the best we could get was £143 per night (excluding breakfast). It's a VERY nice 4-star hotel with possibly the best location in Edinburgh (half way up the Royal Mile), so the high prices reflect this.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 04:39 AM

Very often when a hotel is attached to a meeting they RAISE rates - since they know many attendees will want to be there for convenience (and are often not paying for their own lodging). The idea that the convention hotel gives reduced rates is very often false - they may even be higher than regular rack rates.

Sorry cant help with lower priced options - we have only done 4* places in edinburgh - and that in the summer.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 08:18 AM
ira

We very much enjoyed our visit at http://www.14hartstreet.co.uk/

Lovely people, beautiful home, very good Scotch.

One old-fashioned pub and 2 good contemporary restos very close by.

IIRC, there is bus service to near the Radisson.

Old Jan 21st, 2014, 09:48 AM

there is an Ibis hotel(Hunter Square) about 100 yards from the raddison Blu and anew Ibis opening very soon or has just opened on South Bridge about 200-300 yards away. There are numerous small hotel ,B&Bs and even larger hotel on Minto Street/mayfield road and craigmiller Park (all one road). from the top on minto street its about a 15 minute walk but there are buses that run very frequently even the travelodge at the far end of Craigmiller Park is less than 2 miles away on a straught road into the center and would take less than 15 minutes even in the rush hour.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's response - you have given me lots of leads. Also thanks for the comments on the price of Radisson Blu and the conference/June timeframe. I was surprised at the price myself.

One follow-up question - I am not sure of the safety of Edinburgh streets at night, even on the Royal Mile. I am thinking of a scenario where I meet my friends for dinner/drinks and then want to walk back to the hotel/B&B alone along the Royal Mile or just off of it. I am assuming that the Royal Mile and nearby streets are safe during the day. This would just be at night. Again thanks for responses.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are lots of restaurants and pubs - it isn't deserted at all -- plus you do realize it will be daylight until VERY late. Sunset won't be until after 10 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 11:13 PM

Edinburgh is a very safe city though take the normal precautions you would in any large city.The biggest danger to your safety is things falling from the roof of buildings ie slates,coping stones and bits of chimneys (I kid you not)
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:48 AM

This is a culture in which drinking forms an important activity. I make that as a statement, not a judgment. The Scots have lots of lovely things to drink.

I have never been in this area, and I have been there many times, at night when there were not a substantial number of people on the street, but many of them had visibly been drinking. Heavily.

I would not be concerned but you might be. Finding a place near the Blu so you could walk all but the last hundred yards or so with your friends should allay that concern.

My daughter went to Uni in Edinburgh, and my wife visited very frequently on business; neither ever had an incident.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Beautiful. Thanks again for everyone's responses. I am looking forward to a great trip!!