Which budget hotel in Edinburgh ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the exactly same rate I have these options (4 nights in november this year):

Links Hotel (Bruntsfield area)
Murrayfield Hotel (near the soccer stadium)
Royal Ettrick Hotel

Which one would you pick ? Why ?
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM

All are owned by the same company - Festival Inns and it appears with most of their hotels, they mainly concentrate on the bar side of the business as can be seen in the poor reviews these hotels get with regard to accomodation on the tripadvisor.com website.
All three hotels are in reasonably good locations outwith the city centre. You may be very lucky and get a good room in a quieter part of the hotel but do not expect too much. It appears to keep the hotel side going that they have resorted to selling some of their rooms through ebay which means that you will have to pay for the accommodation and take pot luck.
As there are numerous choices of good accommodation - available in Edinburgh at reasonable / budget rates you may wish to consider looking around before making a decision.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I know nothing about any of these hotels, but I can tell you that the Murrayfield Hotel is reasonably near downtown Edinburgh's hub and certainly within walking distance of the Castle. Incidentally, Murrayfield is the RUGBY stadium.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

thank you both.

Luxury is not our priority but as far as I could read in some reviews, If I can get a room not close to the noisy bar, then we should survive.
Some where I read that they have a poor reservation system at Links and some guests just arrived and their reservation did not exsist in their records.
The internet rate through expedia is around eur 269 for the 4 nights. Does anybody knows other alternative accomodations on this level, max 300 eur ?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Fabio,
I am not too sure how many will be in your travelling party but as you are trying to keep your costs down, have you considered staying at either of the two newest hostels in town
http://www.smartcityhostels.com/welcome/index.asp
http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site...rghCentral.asp
They are both well appointed, used by all ages, not just youth. I know that Edinburgh central has some nice 4 person rooms with one double and two singles for a very reasonable fee. I presume that the Smart city Hostel will have that and more as it has just been completed.
Both are on the east side of the city near the city centre.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:19 AM

The Links Hotel and Murrayfield Hotel are both on or right next to good bus routes into the centre. The Royal Ettrick isn't. Also, the Royal Ettrick is more of a 'function' hotel; so while it doesn't have a busy public bar, you're more likely to be disturbed by a noisy wedding or other big do. I'd go for the Links - it's just off the main road, as opposed to actually on it, & faces Bruntsfield Links which is a nice park area with views to the castle etc. Also the area between the Links & the centre has more pubs & places to eat as well as theatres & the main concert hall.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM

P.S. almcd : I wouldn't attempt to walk to the castle from Murrayfield, but I would walk there from the Links (althoughg the 23 bus would be even easier )
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

meks and caroline, thank you very much !

We are just two of us, me and my wife.
We used to be backpackers in the 80s and using InterRail pass and youth hostels. Once we were at the Bruntsfield Hostel in 1986 and loved that area and walking down to Princess street from there and also to the castle. I would opt for the Links, provided that the room is not too close to the noisy bar.

smartcityhostels: looks nice but it seems they might have twin bed rooms rather than double bed, or ?