Hotel Choices in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two couples (late 60s) looking at the following hotels for our April 2016 trip. These are our current considerations:
The Rutland Hotel, www.therutlandhotel.com
Fraser Suites, http://www.frasershospitality.com/en
Our budget is between 115-125 GBP per night and we like modern, updated hotels.

Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels and, if so, were you satisfied with your stay? Any other recommendations?

Thank you for your response!
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've stayed at the Fraser suites twice and know the Rutland (but have not stayed there)

I love <B>LOVE</B> the location of the Fraser Suites because I like to concentrate my Edinburgh visits in the Old Town. It is mere steps from St Giles Cathedral and the Royal mile and just down the road from the Castle. The rooms are very nice. I wouldn't bother adding ££ for the breakfast packages.

I don't know for sure but I'd guess the rooms at the Rutland are a bit fancier and the rates a bit higher. It is located across from very bottom of Princes street so is also a convenient location -- but it is quite a steep hike up to the Old Town/Castle.

Either is a fine choice IMO
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 10:35 PM

That's not a massive budget for Edinburgh and I'm assuming that's per room.

I'm afraid I don't know either of your choices. Rutland's right on a busy West End Junction. I wouldn't.

Why not have a look at the Apexes in the Grassmarket or the Premier Inn at Morrison Link.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 05:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assumed since you posted the two specific properties AND your budget that they fit w/i it. So IF you can get either under £125 go for it.

Premier Inns are fine (think Holiday Inn Express) but not in the same class as Fraser Suites or the Rutland.

The two Apexes in Grassmarket are also very well located and are quite modern. They don't AFAIK have the kitchenette facilities in the Fraser Suites if that is important.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be so long in responding but life has a way of intruding on vacation plans.

Thank you jansj and Sheila! The suggested amount was per room per night and we are leaning toward the Fraser Suites.

After the first of the year, will be back with more questions about Edinburgh.